Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/ ladies... I have been a guest on this forum for a while and have read a ton of all of your input. I have a dirt bike, and I’m looking to get a sport bike. If you had to estimate what your yearly cost of ownership is, i.e. insurance (monthly pmts), fuel, tires, maintenance, etc. Also including minor upgrades, steering dampener etc. I’m trying to figure out if this is something I want to pursue. I have cash for the bike, and everything else, but just curious if it is a money trap, or if the bike can actually be used as a daily commuter, functionally as well as feasibly.

Thanks, and I’ll try not to ask stupid ass questions in the future.

·
Registered
870 Posts
It it is a money pit.

Tires every year 250+
Fuel 12 *50 = 600+
Insurance 60 *12 720+
Crash - 2000+
that will happen b/c I can ride dirt bikes therefore I can ride street.

It equals a whole lot of cash.

Communiting on a bike not nearly as glamorous as it seems.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To whom ever replies... could you put what year bike you have & model, and IF (although unlikely) you have a clean driving record? I have a clean driving record... (haha, for now). From what i can gather the > 600 cc bikes insurance jump pretty drastically. I'll also be taking one of the 2 day bike safety courses prior to purchase.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have a clean record, and 919 which is a pretty cheap bike to insure.

The thing about bikes, no matter what they do they are expensive. They only way you can get a cheap commuter is to buy a ruckus scooter. They look pretty tight and will be much more simular to riding a dirt bike.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol, very funny... I race my road bike, so i'm used to the tucked position, and my downhill mtn bike costs about as much as i'm going to spend on the sport bike. (it probably lives close to as much. Thanks for the input 919.

Anybody else?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Oh don't let this crap scare you away. 8k for my 04 Blue RR. The mods only come when there's cash to do so.
Insurance with a clean record, is about $28 a month. I bought Pilot Powers for $230 recently. Oil change here and there, $20. It's not bad, more fun than a cage, commuting or not.

·
Registered
907 Posts
coskibum00 said:
lol, very funny... I race my road bike, so i'm used to the tucked position, and my downhill mtn bike costs about as much as i'm going to spend on the sport bike. (it probably lives close to as much. Thanks for the input 919.

Anybody else?

is this your daily commuter? don't even consider it, if so. In hot weather sitting over a motor with leathers on is a b*tch. In the cold, well- it's just cold, and that's a b*tch too. It's less comfortable then a car, and yes it costs a lot to maintain.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
how much money you spend depends completely on what you do with it. I don't pay jack for insurance because its under my dads name and its just liability, don't remember what it is, its been a while since I wrote the last check but its somewhere around $200 per year. Probably gonna go up cause I no longer have a clean record.

Tires aren't a problem cause I can use my track tires from my F4i and I've always got plenty of them. Gas isn't a big deal cause it comes out of my hot-shot delivery businesses account. As you can tell I don't spend much on my streetbike (no mods or anything its just a commuter)

my trackbike is a whole other story, I've probably put 10 grand into it (beyond the purchase price), first making it a trackbike and repairing after 2 crashes, tires, fuel, suspension/parts, maint. stuff like oil etc

not to mention cost for trackdays and travel expenses, damn i'm broke

·
Registered
593 Posts
And you dont need new tires every year. My dunlops lasted me a year and still had a year or so tire life on them. It all depends on how you use the bike. IF you are going to use it as a comuter bike or daily driver you WILL probably need tires every year. Which if you are using it as a commuter then will not have to have new $230 Pilot powers like some are suggesting. Althought they are the greatest thing since our bike was introduced in 2003. Hope that helps.

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
Any kind of Hobby is gonna be somewhat expensive...what your asking doesn't make any sense at all.

Insurance....depends on where you live ,your record,age etc...
Steering Dampners range in price...I say look in the $250-$300 range.
Maintenence is also depending on the rider and use of the bike.
If your gonna use it for daily commuting you can get good sport touring tires for about $180 that will give you roughly 5500-6000 miles. If your gonna ride hard on the street then your gonna be looking at tires every 3000-4000 miles(roughly)
Oil changes every 2,500 - 3,000 runs me about $30.
Minor mods like turn signals and can cost as little as $17 and as much as $150.
Exhaust can run anywhere from $200 - ????? (new)

Your asking a loaded question that really has no true answer...If you wanna get the bike then get the bike! It's as simple as that. Everything costs money. YOU are the only one that can control how much you spend on it.

Besides...you said you have the money for the bike and mods so wtf are you worried about??

·
Registered
996 Posts
I've got an 03 600RR (bought new in Nov. 04). It costs me about $500/yr for insurance (clean record, married, over 30, Foremost Insurace Company). I use it as a daily commuter, 10 miles each way to work, and get to use it some of March & November, most of April & October, almost all of May, June, July, August, September, and sporacically in December, January & February.

If you ride sane, you can get 10k miles from a set of tires - figure $300 to 400 for a set of tires installed & balanced. If you play (wheelie, drag, etc.), cut the tire mileage in half or worse. I get close to 40mpg average. Again, if you play it goes down. Oil changes are about $40 DIY ($6 per quart, $10 filter). Chain and sprockets will last as long as your tires, longer if you take care of them. Estimate $150 for a replacement set. Brake pads should also last longer than your tires. Estimate $60 for DIY replacement. Add at least $50 per year for misc. products (chain lube, polish, etc.). You'll need a helmet ($100 & up). Plan on replacing it every 5 years. budget for one time purchases of gloves & jacket, too.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Did anyone mention going to an insurance company and getting a quote?
You can't really use other membeers rate to figure your insurance rate.

Way to anything to think of. Like oil, oil filter, all the other small thing, i'm forgetting about.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I want to kill you all with your $60 a month, and $28 a month insurance. It makes me want to cry. I'm forking out $120 a month with a clean record. Living in the city blows sometimes. The comprehensive coverage on our style bikes is outrageous. I have Allstate (my car is also with Allstate) so $120 a month is actually pretty good here. September, when I turn 30 my insurance will go down a bit I think. Oh and my driving record is clean as a whistle too.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
The biggest thing to consider if you're looking at this as a possible commuter bike is what your commute is like. Is it long, short, hwys, traffic? What's the weather like where you are. What kind of attire do you have to wear to the office? If you work is close and the dress is laxed, or you have the availbility to change at the office it's pretty feasible. However, if you have to wear nice clothes to work, sit in hot traffic, routinely carry much, this bike just won't cut it.

As for costs, as said above that's way too much of a loaded question to give you a straight answer. Street tires will last you anywhere from 1000-10,000 miles depending on your riding habits and which tires you chose. Personally, I'm yet to get more than 2500 out of a rear tire, and I don't burn it out either. But a friend of mine is at 10K with his stock front still looking ok. Insurance will depend not only on your age and driving record, but marital status, multivehicle discounts, location, etc... Maintenance will depend on what you're able to do yourself vs. bringing it to a dealer. This bike doesn't require much as long as you keep it checked.

My honest opinion though is if you're really looking for something to commute on rather than weekend/track riding, I'd look at a more comfortable bike.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My commute is only like 5 miles per direction, but if it is nice, i could extend that to a 35 minute per way jog through the foothills of Colorado. =) I am a sensible driver, and I have no intention to go to the track, for a long while. I have a Grand Cherokee that i use for when it gets cold, but being in Colorado means i should have better part of a year to ride.

Thanks for all the input... keep it coming!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good Call. For helmets what should I be looking for? Brand, or fit, or cost or... etc. (just general guidelines) I'll search for this as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Johnny Candles said:
I'm forking out $120 a month with a clean record.
Have you looked at other insurance companies? I hear some go by what type of bike (sports/touring), others go strictly by displacement. When I asked State Farm for a quote, they didn't even ask me for the model, just the displacement. If memory serves, I'm at about $30/month with a clean record and multi-policy discounts through them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts