Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking a new job in Dallas, and I need to make the move from Orlando. I drive a '06 Ford Escape, with a 2.3L 4cyl engine. Is the Escape good enough to tow my 600rr that far? Any trailers/hitches you can recommend? I thought about crating the bike, but a trailer leaves me more options in the long run. So I'd rather the trailer, if it's practical. I don't want to harm myself, or my car in the process.

I was looking at this: http://www.sportutilitytrailers.com/LongChih/832TA-1TS32M.htm

Any thoughts?

-Smurf.

·
C.A.H.N founder / President
11,188 Posts
It should pull it. My Nephew's 4Cyl Colorodo pulls both our bikes around on a 6x10 trailer.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Should be fine, my brother can pull both our bikes with his subaru legacy, no problem. As far as a trailer you could probably rent a small one from uhaul. "one way"

·
Registered
860 Posts
Uhaul only allows "intown" rental of motorcylce trailers. I checked on that when I went to FL. Welcome to TX when you get here. You'll enjoy the women a lot more here.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I used to pull 2 quads on a snowmobile trailer with my 2002 4 cyl accord. You should be fine

·
Registered
860 Posts
I think Harbor Freight had a folding 2 motorcyle trailer for under $350. Check out there website and see if they do.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I use to have a Tacoma with a 2.4L. It had the factory tow package which was rated a 4k pounds with a 5speed. The Toyota wasn’t overly quick but I towed various stuff with a trailer all the time. Never had a problem; in fact I’m buying another Toyota this spring.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I know very little about bikes....but I am learning fast (thanks to all you guys)....but, I am very good with Fords (my Job). Your Zetec 4 cylinder is more then enough. The total tow capacity for your Escape (4 cyl...either Trans) is 1500lbs (verified in manuals). A class 2 hitch is the option when your Escape was new, so I would recommend using that to maintain the rated specs. Your bike weighs roughly 361lbs...allowing for a 1139 lb trailer (thats a damn hefty trailer ). My only recomendation is to make sure when you tie the bars down, you really push that front suspension down and use tie downs!

Hope it helps ease U?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks NraGed, that definatly makes me feel a bit better. My little truck isn't near as meaty as all the other trucks that I saw when I went to the Gap. So I was worried.

Would you recommend trying to get a factory hitch, or would a 3rd party one be fine?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Ford doesn't make the factory hitch. I believe they are all Drawtight hitches. Ford just does the middle man thing and scoops a few bucks by putting thier name on it! So, save yourself the $$$. Just get a brand name one and make sure the wiring kit is the right one fot the vehicle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again NraGed! DrawTite-Hitches.com lists only a Class III and a Class III-IV for my Escape. Is that better or worse then the Class II? I figured I can use the better one, but I'm not sure if Class I or III is better then the II you originally mentioned.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
class 1 is very light duty...it would probably be alright to pull your bike, but do you ever want to use it to pull anything else? Maybe a boat, maybe a small camper? A class 2 would be a little heavier duty (the small square looking hitch). It would handle any of those future ideas. A class 3 hitch would be those bigger, 2 inch or so square ones that you see on the back of most pick-ups, and suv's. The class 3 is the one you'd pull a car trtailer, large boat or even tree stump with? I think class 2 is where you want to be (It is a 4 cyl). ******goto "www.draw-tite.com" ...in the search box enter "36420" (It looks alot like the ones we sell at the dealer...hmmm?...lol)

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I run a class 1 hitch on my acura integra and pull the Uhaul motorcycle trailer. fine for one bike with my 4cyl.

this is the harbor freight triailer. 2 bikes wont fit well, without rubbing. been there, done that.

I bought my hitch through hitchmart.com and its a hiddenhitch brand. bolted in-took 15 minutes to install. I also bought the light wriing kit and its plug-n-play.

hitch.

you'll notice the class 1 hitch is a flat bar (bar not installed in pic) and a class 2 will be a square receiver tube.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys for your help. I've ordered a hitch and trailer... and now getting ready for the move. Next question, what do I need to tie down the bike? Any recommendations for what to use?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts