Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I am about 95% set on getting a track bike. I live about 20 min away from Summit Point WV, on a nice day I can hear the engines from my house. I plan on doing at least 1 track day this season on the RR. After that I will make my final decision. I don't have intentions to race, just do a lot of track days.

My original plan was to buy a second sport bike for the track and keep the RR as my street bike. I have been pricing older F4I's, SV650's and others of the sort.

But I have been thinking a lot lately that I should turn the RR into the track bike and buy a cruiser as a street bike. My problem is that I seem to find myself riding a lot faster on the streets than I used to and defiantly much faster that I should. I know that the only responsible and 'safe' place to ride like this is on the track.

I just don't think that I am ready to give up street riding yet. I would really miss the long rides with my father and friends.

Anyone else ever had similar dilemma? Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks for listening,
Dusty

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
You might surprise yourself.

There was a similar thread on this recently, and many if not most of the posters said that after they started doing trackdays, they either toned down or quit their street riding completely.

I fall in the latter category. Street riding really doesn't have much appeal to me any more.

So, go do your first trackday. Do a few, in fact. Then see if your outlook on street riding changes. No need to make a decision now.

I do like your idea of using the RR for track only, and buying a more "practical" bike for the street though.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I am in the same boat bro. Between the speeding tickets, and idiot drivers, the track is the way to go for the RR. I think a cruiser may be more reasonable for the street and would do the same if I could afford a 2nd bike. I think the temptation to speed would be diminished, and they dont attract as much attention from the popo. Check this thread out as well for some good input
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=44883

·
Registered
442 Posts
No need to rush into this decision !

Do a few track days on your present bike.

Just ride in your limits so you dont put it down.
You'll have a better idea of what
you need and want after that.

-akira

·
Registered
128 Posts
dude, once you finish your first trackday, you're not going to have any love for the street. I had the 600RR as a street bike, took my first track day and I was hooked! Turned it into a track bike and never rode the streets again.Couple months go by, I bought the 06 gsxr1000(big mistake!) for the street, well I got that in November and now it's March and I only have about 980 miles. LOL I save my money and mods for the race bike for CCS. Oh yea, be prepared to have a deep pocket. Good luck and have FUN!

·
WCR Racer
1,550 Posts
LUCKY
Living 20min from Summit Pt!! You should be the track ACE than.
F.Y.I: NESBA a track day group you can check out at NESBA.com has a setup where you can check out the track in a group called the "N" or novice group to test out the track and see if you like it or not. Only lets you run in the 2am sessions but lets you feel how it is to ride on the track. Good way answer your questions on track riding.

We will be at Summit Pt at Summit Main on April 16th if you like getting away from your family as much as I do.

·
What ever its supposed to be....
907 Posts
More than likely once you ride the sportbike on the track a couple times you won't enjoy riding it on the street as much. So then it's the decision as to what to get for the street. I've already decided, but I have to wait until spring '07 for the Ducati Hypermotard!!!!!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Wish I was 20 minutes from a track. That would be great. I'll be there on the 16th as well. Come check it out. Just be warned it is addictive

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I was in the same dilemna. I, unfortuantely, wrecked at Barber pushing my limits. I broke a bone in my wrist, missed 3 weeks of work, luckily the doctor allowed me to take the cast off after 3 weeks instead of 6 and I was able to go work the desk for 3 more weeks. If that happened again I would be out of sick time. I can't go to work hurt.

So, I realized, I am just too competitive to be out there w/ so much to lose. I push myself to the limit no matter what I tell myself. So, I am back to street riding only. Plus, trackdays would have led to racing for me b/c of my competitiveness and I could not afford it.

I never wanted to give up street riding b/c of my friends I ride with. I did tone it down b/c it made me realize how dangerous the streets really are.

Do some trackdays and get that initial thrill gone and then make your decision. The thrill never leaves, but that initial thrill you get the first few times fades a little.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've been riding on the street for over 12 years, started doing track days four years ago. Put more miles on at the track then the road, so went to full racing. Don't miss the road that much, but love racin. Give it a try and see what ya think, it's not for everybody. Best advice, take it slow getting into it and be careful were you spend the money cause racing (even track days) are expensive.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
quasi888 said:
You might surprise yourself.

There was a similar thread on this recently, and many if not most of the posters said that after they started doing trackdays, they either toned down or quit their street riding completely.

I fall in the latter category. Street riding really doesn't have much appeal to me any more.

So, go do your first trackday. Do a few, in fact. Then see if your outlook on street riding changes. No need to make a decision now.

I do like your idea of using the RR for track only, and buying a more "practical" bike for the street though.
Ditto, I fall into the former category. I commute and use my street bike for all sorts of things, errands, comuting, quick joy rides, etc. If I go on street rides, I am going pretty darned slow. Slow enough to make non-track riders wonder how I go so slow and do so many trackdays. Then when they come to the track I go around them waving :icon_salu

You just know the difference after riding track and if you ride at track speeds you're gonna get tickets, go to jail or worse. Street riding is more "smell the roses" type of riding.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I just did my first track day on sunday at Summit Point WV on the Jefferson Course. I am or have been a very aggressive and fast on the streets but the track is just so different and so much more satisfying. I am now an official knee dragger. I enjoyed myself so much that Yesterday I dropped my bike off a the shop and are having them install ohlins shocks on the rear and redoing the springs on the front. After the 1st day I am considering making my bike a track bike. I have concluded that the streets can not offer near the satifaction of the track.

Good luck on your decision. If you are only going to do track days stick with the RR. You will enjoy the pull on the straights.

Ride safe,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts