Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...
I'm addicted. And now I'm looking for a fix. I need a bike to flog at the track and I feel bad about making the 600 do double duty; I really don't ride her on the street so much because I'm used to having the same torque, except much lower on the band so my superchicken puts on the bulk of the miles.

My options are...

A) take current 600rr from street form to track.

I paid on the brink of a good amount for a track bike when I bought this in street form.

Idea. Sell OEM street plastics, retrofit other fairings to be race or just purchase used sharkskinz or similar and I'll be ~ a fair price for a pre-rashed bike.

Pros: I know the bike, and its essentially ready to track.

Cons: She's so pretty and I would hate to stuff such a pretty bike.

B) Sell 600 and buy an uglier, pre-crashed 600rr and spend extra money on lots of goodies.

Pros: The reverse of cons from option A.

Cons: Bikes history/ finding another rashed 600 near me. They go fast.

C) Keep 600 and the superchicken, buy 250R and ride the crap out of it and keep 600 on the street until I can really put the 600 through the paces. (I can justify this because they are a dime a dozen)

Pros: Probably one of the better ways to get great cornering speed and body position.

Cons: Power :crackup:

D) Convert my superchicken to track and keep 600 street.

Pros: cheap as dirt, great usable power, I know what the bike will do in just about any situation as I've put it through most of them.

Cons: Heavy, outdated and a great commuter that would depress me to take off the street.

E) All of the above.

Please don't vote for E.

What has everyone done once they've gotten addicted?

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm still doing double-duty. No biggie.

I have some 06 track bodywork I'll sell you for cheap. I can meet you at the track or we can work out something else if you don't want to wait. PM me

I'll be at Infineon this Friday and can bring it if it's closer to you than Santa Rosa.

Here's a pic

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I would go with A. It's would be nice to have a little extra cash, but buying a wrecked bike is always a gamble. No matter how good you look it over.

I would keep your bike. Mods aren't as essential as seat time anyway.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Not sure what year your current bike is, but if its fairly new and you can still get good money for it, it may be worth your while to sell it.

Talk to fellow track rats. I'm sure you can find a nice clean used track bike. As long as the bike is in good shape mechanicically, the only mods needed is suspension (and that depends on how heavy you are) and tires.

Beyond that, spend your money on track days, ride ride and ride some more. Take some lessons, hook up with some good fast guys. I learned sooooooooo much from bros at the track its incredible.

Good luck.

·
I LOVE MY BIKE
692 Posts
E of course just cause you said not to pick it........

have to go against the grain!

but honestly I have my current street bike right now that I am slowing converting to a track bike. It will be my official track bike once i get the money to buy a new street bike.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would go with A. It's would be nice to have a little extra cash, but buying a wrecked bike is always a gamble. No matter how good you look it over.

I would keep your bike. Mods aren't as essential as seat time anyway.
Agreed. The bike already has a decent set-up that wouldn't be challenging to convert to full track.

Just need to rebuild the front and have the rear re-valved and then I'm good to go! Just throw tires on and go.

Not sure what year your current bike is, but if its fairly new and you can still get good money for it, it may be worth your while to sell it.

Talk to fellow track rats. I'm sure you can find a nice clean used track bike. As long as the bike is in good shape mechanicically, the only mods needed is suspension (and that depends on how heavy you are) and tires.

Beyond that, spend your money on track days, ride ride and ride some more. Take some lessons, hook up with some good fast guys. I learned sooooooooo much from bros at the track its incredible.

Good luck.
It's my '06 600RR. It's clean enough to justify selling as a street bike and getting a little more than I paid for it back with taking all the goodies off.

And most bikes are out of my weight, I'm 150-165 so most of the bikes are pretty oversprung for me.

I work with some guys who are instructors/racers so I can always tag along with them so I plan on spending far more money on track than I can really afford =p

E of course just cause you said not to pick it........

have to go against the grain!

but honestly I have my current street bike right now that I am slowing converting to a track bike. It will be my official track bike once i get the money to buy a new street bike.
I already have a street bike that puts on almost all of the miles because she's already a decently high mileage bike (well maintained though) so I think I've decided to go ahead and just convert to track only!

You'll probably see ads up for all of the OEM goodies soon :cruising:

·
Registered
673 Posts
You'd be surprised about the stock spring rates on the 600rr. I have an 06 and according to Race Tech, the fork springs are meant for a rider of your weight and the shock spring is rated for a 180-190lb rider. That's the least you should do to your bike, proper springs, then have the suspension properly set up by Dave Moss who's always at the track.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
I chose to purchase a second bike, I would have spent just as much money converting a stock street bike to track duty, as I did buying a bike that needed some work. I then spent even more money on it, but now I have 2 bikes, if I wad up the race bike, I still have my shiny new street bike to keep riding on.

I ended up with a 2007 GSX-R600, for multiple reasons, 1) Because it was the best deal that came up at the time. 2) Many of the people that I ride track with all have the same bike, so spares at the track are VERY plentiful, plus it is a popular chassis, so parts are easy to find. Everybody in our group (about 12 of us) that has crashed was always able to finish the day because of the parts supply we have, and it just keeps growing. 3) it is a very well rounded bike, it doesn't do one thing GREAT, but it does everything REALLY GOOD.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You'd be surprised about the stock spring rates on the 600rr. I have an 06 and according to Race Tech, the fork springs are meant for a rider of your weight and the shock spring is rated for a 180-190lb rider. That's the least you should do to your bike, proper springs, then have the suspension properly set up by Dave Moss who's always at the track.
Dave actually set up my bike on the end of the first day and it changed dramatically. He also recommended me revalving/rebuilding both the front and rear as I don't know the history on them (aka probably haven't been done in far too long). I'm gonna re-spring both the front/rear and re-valve the rear (my back tire was giving me some problems that Dave pointed out to the compression valve).

I meant most OTHER bikes are out of spec :crackup: the CBR was fairly well designed for most of my measurements outside of boot size haha.

I chose to purchase a second bike, I would have spent just as much money converting a stock street bike to track duty, as I did buying a bike that needed some work. I then spent even more money on it, but now I have 2 bikes, if I wad up the race bike, I still have my shiny new street bike to keep riding on.

I ended up with a 2007 GSX-R600, for multiple reasons, 1) Because it was the best deal that came up at the time. 2) Many of the people that I ride track with all have the same bike, so spares at the track are VERY plentiful, plus it is a popular chassis, so parts are easy to find. Everybody in our group (about 12 of us) that has crashed was always able to finish the day because of the parts supply we have, and it just keeps growing. 3) it is a very well rounded bike, it doesn't do one thing GREAT, but it does everything REALLY GOOD.
I've been checking daily and I'd love to stick with a smaller modern inline because I feel like the power will last, great competitive class if I ever plan on getting into racing and the CBR was freaking awesome out there. I'd settle for most any 06+ 636, R6, GSXR600 or 600RR because they have most of the standard equipment that I'd want to build on. Hopefully an R6 because my riding style is a little bit more aggressive and I've heard great things about it when you don't need to put it on the street :crackup:

How about keep the CBR for the street and score a used SV-650 for the track?
One of my instructors was actually on an SV and he said it was awesome! Granted, he said he was having trouble keeping pace out of some of the faster corners but that was only when I was full on the beans.

There is a track-ready 2006 on local CL right now but it's had engine work done to it. Unless I'm standing next to it at a dyno and know the guy is competent I'm not touching that with a 10-foot pole.

Don't get me wrong; I'm elbow deep in an engine 2 out of 5 days of the week, but I know my work and I know it's good. I've spent twice as much time fixing other peoples work and that's not something I really feel like doing. I'd rather buy stock (in track form) and do those same modifications myself.

I haven't thought about that though, they are a dime-a-dozen around here!

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I went completely track only. Bought a 600rr in street form and converted it to Track-Only. It was a 1 owner, low miles and I knew it was reliable.

I got tired of looking for great deals on track upgrades so I sold that and am looking for an already modified track machine.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
if i could go back in time i would have hit the track on an SV650. then after a couple years went to a CBR600.

i know its not in your option list. but thats what i would do. tires for an SV last way longer then tires for a 600, and it will let you learn cornering better.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm definitely going with Option B. After the track, I find the streets boring and more unsafe. Definitely selling the nice to not take a loss and get something cheaper to beat on without much financial risks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
if i could go back in time i would have hit the track on an SV650. then after a couple years went to a CBR600.

i know its not in your option list. but thats what i would do. tires for an SV last way longer then tires for a 600, and it will let you learn cornering better.
Yes this version of option C. Find an already track prepped SV. This late in the season there are a bunch popping up on the racer boards. Usually you are better off to buy a track proven bike and have it refreshed this Winter then trying to build 1 up from street. Particularly true for your first, unless you just like wrenching and tuning.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@crashkhanman- I'm liking this idea as of yet. I'm still really torn. I know I have time to kill before I can go back but I'd like to get everything sorted first. As she stands, she's completely naked and I can't decide whether to throw the track or street skins on.

@crash277- I guess I should have clarified in the 250R section is that I'd be looking for a lower class bike that would be cheaper in most/all aspects so I should have added the SV there. I would love to find a nice SV around here that I could treat badly but like I said all of them (less the 1 track prepped bike with the engine work) are in street form from dealers. Not my cuppa.

@EP3hatch03- I don't need tempting right now =p I think it took me about an hour to get everything bolted on from being naked; I know it doesn't take much time but I don't want to deal with insuring a street bike when I'm going to the track.

@AnDaLe- since I've gotten back I haven't even thought twice about wanting to go up in the mountains. Takes the thrill out of it for me having known what it feels like to NOT have to worry that there's gonna be a deer around the next corner, and the predictability of the course. *sigh* I used to enjoy going up in the mountains at a legal pace, now I have very little inclination to do so!

@sdiver68- do you have any recommendations outside of the WERA boards? I'm in CA and there's no NESBA around here. Or should I keep an eye on the SV forums in the classifieds? SO MANY QUESTIONS!

Thanks for all your input folks, I feel like I'm getting closer to a decision but I keep waffling.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I'd go with A. If you don't feel like you can get a lot out of selling the street fairings, you can always hold onto them and swap back to street if you really get the itch.

My bike is still kinda of double duty. I'm going to the track enough now though that I usually just leave it with all the track bodywork. The only thing that is keeping it from being just a track bike at this point is I haven't parted ways with the OEM plastics yet.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
My suggestion is to buy another bike cheap for a trackbike like an 04+ Gsxr750 if you can scrape up the pennies to save for it.

Of course doing double duty with the current RR is doable and easy, but in the long run I do not recommend it as your bike will take some abuse (and even crash) on the track.

Otherwise if money is tight, just convert the RR to track only and ride whatever other bike you have for the street. as a backup, i would keep your OEM plastics and just buy a 2nd set of track plastics; they're cheap anyway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts