Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm well on the way to a complete trackbike conversion of my 08 and this weekend it took a big (and silly) leap forward.

I intended to respring the bike for my weight and get my suspension professionally setup. This lead to me biting the bullet on the extra cash and converting to brand new Ohlins front and rear. Spending the money I already was, I figured at least the Ohlins fit 07-13 and have good resale value. I splurged, but what the hell, right?

Next were the braided lines. Not exactly a luxury item, more of a must have for a quick pace on a hot summer day. No biggie here.

When I went to tech Monday morning I was told my pads may not make it through the 85+ degree day on the 4 mile track. Went over to trackside support who would be happy to get me new pads, because I do enjoy stopping when needed. Turns out he only had carbon race pads - so I got those installed.

I now basically have a bike that will take me years to be able to ride to the level of the parts that are currently on it. The suspension was a necessary investment (Ohlins were not necessary however) to progress my riding while keeping me and the bike safe and maybe saving a dollar or two on tire wear.

EDIT: Pic is on the way to the track pre-upgrades described above.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
The suspension was a necessary investment (Ohlins were not necessary however) to progress my riding while keeping me and the bike safe and maybe saving a dollar or two on tire wear.
Maybe it was... but who's call was it? It's better to be told you're ready, than to judge you're ready. Are you running in A group? You should be among the top third and lap consistently before suspension mods come into the picture (not suspension tuning though, like springs and re-valving, which offer much better value). Suspension guys at the track are pretty good at telling me 'just buy tires and more track time' instead of carts or internals. They harsh but fair that way :crackup:

I'm just saying, it's super easy to justify cool bits in your mind. I have.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Oh yeah, try to confirm what pads you bought, some pads want to be used with certain kinds of discs, you don't want to tear up the rotors you have.

·
BOTM Winner 05/15
9,996 Posts
You coming up to Grattan anytime soon?

Bike is looking great!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hope to before the end of the summer. This was my last trip to Grattan on May 2 :retard: I rode fine in the rain and then decided to nap in the middle of the track once it started drying.

·
BOTM Winner 05/15
9,996 Posts
LOL. I didn't know they allowed track naps. I could've used one last track weekend.

Is that the lake by the Bus Stop in the background? Were you running counter-clockwise?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Don't overthink it. If you have the money, get the best possible parts for your bike. Spending money on suspension now may help keep your bike properly planted to the road and may be cheaper than running OEM, and having to replace other parts should you crash.

Now just get more seat time and ride like hell!

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Nice bits for the bike! :)

·
Registered
966 Posts
85* day? Sounds like it would be too cold to get real heat into those pads. lol stupid AZ heat. You have no excuse not to improve every time you go out there now!

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
In a nutshell, unless a piece of equipment is holding you back then don't change it. Part of developing and understanding the bikes and your riding, is what and when to mod. If you can't outride your suspension, then don't change it yet. When it becomes the or (one of) limiting factor then go for it. This way you spend less in one go, and also track and feel the progress you are making. I have a Brembo M/C in my closet which I would love to install, but considering I haven't really gotten into trail braking when improved feel from the M/C is required then it's staying there until I feel the stock one not offering what I need from it. Just a thought.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
85* day? Sounds like it would be too cold to get real heat into those pads. lol stupid AZ heat. You have no excuse not to improve every time you go out there now!
I agree 100%. I'm not overloading the front tire now under heavy braking or bottoming the rear shock driving out of a corner. It is also amazing how good braking feels when you're not overloading the forks and transferring more work to the tire. I can brake at MY max and still feel how much left the system has for a better rider. That's very confidence inspiring.

·
BOTM Winner 05/15
9,996 Posts
You should come out to Grattan and play this weekend.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm thinking about coming for 4th of July. I am staying local(ish) this weekend and doing 2 days at Blackhawk Farms.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
In a nutshell, unless a piece of equipment is holding you back then don't change it. Part of developing and understanding the bikes and your riding, is what and when to mod. If you can't outride your suspension, then don't change it yet. When it becomes the or (one of) limiting factor then go for it. This way you spend less in one go, and also track and feel the progress you are making. I have a Brembo M/C in my closet which I would love to install, but considering I haven't really gotten into trail braking when improved feel from the M/C is required then it's staying there until I feel the stock one not offering what I need from it. Just a thought.
That's one way to look at it, but I am going to disagree with you.

When you go from stock to ohlins the bike feels absolutely different. Same goes for brake upgrades, wheels, controls, weight savings.

Simply because you have elevated the performance ceiling of the bike doesn't mean for a second that it will perform the same as a stock bike when being used at a level below the stock ceiling.

I can guarantee you that if you rode my bike back to back with your own at just a leisurely pace, you wouldn't want to give me mine back. I'm not being arrogant, but the purposeful andwell coordinated upgrades I have done make the bike startlingly better at everything at all times.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
That's one way to look at it, but I am going to disagree with you.

When you go from stock to ohlins the bike feels absolutely different. Same goes for brake upgrades, wheels, controls, weight savings.

Simply because you have elevated the performance ceiling of the bike doesn't mean for a second that it will perform the same as a stock bike when being used at a level below the stock ceiling.

I can guarantee you that if you rode my bike back to back with your own at just a leisurely pace, you wouldn't want to give me mine back. I'm not being arrogant, but the purposeful andwell coordinated upgrades I have done make the bike startlingly better at everything at all times.
But I'm talking about a different issue, one from the standpoint of rider development. I will undoubtedly turn in better lap times on your bike (and will enjoy riding it more) than mine, but that is a result of the equipment not my skills. If all the rider wants to achieve is turn in better times regardless of how or why then by all means. Working with stock components until you almost get to their limits and then upgrading to better parts allows you to understand and appreciate the difference in technology and develop a feel for the bike and its limitations. That is why pro riders can tell a difference of 2 psi with their tyres as opposed to novices who can't tell if someone played with their rebound or compression damping.

I prefer to develop rider skill, then develop the equipment when needed.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
To think that one requires lesser equipment to develop greater skill goes against the very foundation of progress in sport. That is a very foolish assumption

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Oh I get it now, so you are incapable of riding stock bikes; you need to mod the shlt out of them with CF wheels and aftermarket suspension so you can ride them. :retard:

What's foolish is your inability to understand my point. A testament to my foolish assumption are all the experienced riders who turn in MUCH better lap times on stock bikes compared to newer riders running every mod in the book.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I had a rider weight issue (225 w/gear) that turned into a money spending problem (Ohlins). Other upgrades to the bike besides what I mentioned are Vortex rearsets (me), Optimal fairings (me), ASV shorty (prev owner), Yoshi RS-5 (prev owner).

The brake lines and rearsets I deem mandatory for what I am doing. The bike needs to be adjusted with the rearsets for my best bp and the brakes need to be there with no fade. I have progressed to the point where getting the suspension resprung was mandatory. I think it played a part in my lowside (lost the rear at apex) and I was over loading the front under braking by transferring add'l energy to the tire.

These bikes are INSANELY capable stock and I don't think I could ever say I'd be capable of riding its true limits in that form. Riding it in the way that I am and the direction I want to continue progressing, I believe some adaptations for me are needed. I also love the Yoshi and ASV levers as well though and feel like it makes it more "mine" because its all I've known this bike to have.

Here are a couple videos from Autobahn CC full circuit on Memorial Day. Pay no attention to the out lap in the first vid...too busy thinking about my brake pads and other things. See if you can spot where I peg the rev limiter... I'm headed out for 2 days at Blackhawk Farms this weekend so I should have a really good chance to feel out all the new bits. I'm always better out of the gate on day 2 of back to back.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
you're just putting words in my mouth now.

if you prefer to keep your bike worse feeling in hopes that it will make you into a better rider go ahead.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts