Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the end of last year, two friends and I took a 2500km round trip to Welkom, South Africa, to do a 2-day track day at Phakisa Raceway. This used to be a MotoGP track, so we were super amped to be riding the same stretch of tarmac as the Vale!

This trip marked a whole lot of firsts for us - first time one of my friends had ever been on the track, first time we'd trailered bikes, first time for all at Phakisa, first time my GF had watched me ride. So was pretty exciting for all of us all the time!

What was more amazing is that we had the best flipping time ever and it cost us next to nothing. The guys who organised the event (MotoSchool) were top-notch - they noticed our new faces and offered help on more than one occasion, were super friendly and rider (not money) orientated! Definitely doing it again.

Anyhow, to the pics and vids...

A short mix of various angles I was playing with and a fast-ish lap

Me following my ZX-6R riding buddy

On the way there - constantly checking that the bikes were ok.

Crappest trailer ever. Cheap to rent, but we nearly paid the price - bolt sheared off on route from the motel to the track! Also, bikes came ever so close to slipping off this crap ramp more than once.

Ready to go - straight to the slow group!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Best pit-crew ever :)

Me grabbing some nice vid's of Scott

The organisers were very lenient regarding where the spectators could stand, so we got some awesome shots from close to the track.

Exiting the hairpin (I think)...

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once I thought I knew the track, I started cranking it. It was like 36°C on both days, so really hot and I got tired quickly so I was really lazy with body movement. I don't know how racers survive up here.

Round the outside...

Back in after a hard session's work.

This was new at the beginning of the weekend. Oops. My mechanic warned me that this track was abrasive - now I understand what he means! Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa's are amazing though; definitely sticking to them.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
nice. did they have anything up on a wall so you could compare your times to rossi's and records and stuff?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Very nice mang.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Good job, looks like your boy was holding you up! :)

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
Awesome snap shots & videos Raptor thanks for sharing

S

·
0 Posts
Wow that looks like a fun time! Awesome video, cause the editing is great and the sky is beautiful there!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. We had such a great time. It was definitely worth the drive, not only for the new track experience but also the useful tips and help we got from the instructors (my local track day events definitely lack this sort of assistance). We're going to try do it again later in the year.

I was pretty chuffed that I managed to get within 10-15s of the regional racers times (under 2min, which I'm told is good) by the end of the last day, considering the near stock bike and that it was my first time at the track. The instructors were super complimentary which is a big boost. Still got some way to beat Rossi tho :p But now I really want a track bike and to go racing!

What was hectic is that it was also the first time I've ridden at altitude. This track is about 1500m above sea level (I live at the coast), and I can't believe what a difference the combination between it and the heat made on the performance of the bike. I thought I was hallucinating but I've checked my other video's and the bike is definitely way low on power up there. It took a long time to build up speed on the straights, while down at the coast the bike pulls a lot stronger. No wonder all the Vaalies (locals, lol) have 1000cc bikes!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts