Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone i am a new member from wisconsin. I have been riding for a year now, went through msf and want to learn more. I live near blackhawk farms raceway, anyone familiar with it? ive been wanting to do a track day there but my friend tells me i should just start by going through their learning curves race school program because then i will have instructors out there to critique me and help me learn properly. Sounds great but wanted a couple more opinions. Should i go straight into race school or should i start with a couple of track days to get comfortable being on the track first? i am a little nervous about either route, i know i am going to be a turtle my first few times out there but i am already getting sick of the hazardous streets and want a safe place to ride and learn, and the track is where my bike belongs anyways. Plus then i will be riding in a positive environment with other riders who are into the sport, not their image (like all the harley riders i am surrounded by around here who are too cool to even wave to me) I just got a new better paying job so i should soon be able to afford to get addicted. Thanks ahead of time for any feedback i get.

·
Super Moderator
6,497 Posts
FI, from what I am reading in your post, you have the correct attitude about taking on this challenge. I would suggest starting with Trackdays as there is no competition it's a safe place for you to learn to become a better rider. Pick an organization that has a reputation/reviews that cater towards a street rider wanting to become better vs others who have 'fast/racers'. Not that one is better than the other but you'll get your money/time/efforts to be more valuable when going at a slower pace especially first year of doing trackdays.

EDIT - Also, this is a VERY slippery slope, I hope that new job of yours allows you to eat something better than Top Ramen because mine doesn't. :crackup:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I have a couple friends from that area that have gone through learning curves and thought it was a great course.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did both track days and then a riding school at my local track. I would do a couple track days first to get rather more comfortable with track riding, you will be slow and sloppy but who cares. I was glad I had that experience before attending the school, so I could focus less on where the track goes and more on technique.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies, I think I will start with a track day to get acclimated with being on the track. I will just try to get in with the slow group. Mainly just want to be able to learn at my own pace without pissing people off

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thats a good point too rinonz thanks, I would think I would pick up those bad habits extra quick too being left alone on a track. could end up being backwards progress. Better think on this some more

·
BOTM Winner 09/15
1,418 Posts
Definitely do a trackday first, just to get used to how the flow of a circuit works and to get used to looking at what's coming up and not thinking about your speed. There will be plenty of people at a trackday to talk to about lines etc. then, once you're not so nervous about going out on track, you'll be in a much better place to really benefit from a race school where you can earn better technique and where you need to improve.

Remember, smoothness is all you want to focus on to begin with. Everyone has started slow and so should you, concentrate on being smooth and everything else will follow in time.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Definitely do a trackday first, just to get used to how the flow of a circuit works and to get used to looking at what's coming up and not thinking about your speed. There will be plenty of people at a trackday to talk to about lines etc. then, once you're not so nervous about going out on track, you'll be in a much better place to really benefit from a race school.
another good point I cant really expect them to teach me to run if I haven't taught myself how to crawl. Really appreciate the feedback guys.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EDIT - Also, this is a VERY slippery slope, I hope that new job of yours allows you to eat something better than Top Ramen because mine doesn't. :crackup:
I think I can upgrade to shells n cheese now but I will always have a spot in my heart for Ramen. Unfortunately most of the raise I got for the new job apparently went to the government, I think I got put into a higher tax bracket or something, just got my first check and they really took a lot!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I was lucky enough to have a professional racer show me around the track when I started. He spends a lot of time with me every track day we meet up and work on different aspects every time. That being said, if I were to do it all over again, I would take a course first.

There's a lot to take in when you're first starting out and having someone help you along the way is never a bad idea.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That would be awesome to go out there with a pro. I was reading about the jason pridemore star racing school. Really expensive but if I had that kind of money I would do it for sure. Sounds like he reserves a whole track so its just you and him out there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That would be awesome to go out there with a pro. I was reading about the jason pridemore star racing school. Really expensive but if I had that kind of money I would do it for sure. Sounds like he reserves a whole track so its just you and him out there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i did jason pridmore's star school and it helped me alot on my riding. like stated above learn the track first before you do the school.

·
BOTM Winner 07/16
880 Posts
The one that I found most beneficial is find a local racer that's willing to show you lines on the track and follow you for a couple of laps to critique.

You learn a lot from following people.

And no matter what, talk to people on the track as much as you can; you'll find gems of tips but always take everything with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks like majority rules in favor of track day so that is what I am going to do, thanks again everyone i will let ya know how it goes. I will try and shoot some video so you guys can critique me too. My friend even offered to let me use his race bike so I dont have to worry about dumping my brand new one that I still owe $8,000 for. I doubt insurance covers damage that happens at a track. Not that I wont try my best not to dump his. Only concern with that is his bike is a cbr1000. Going by how fast my 600 is im thinking his thou will scare the crap out of me at 1st which would just be one more distraction from focusing on my lines. He tries to say theyre not much different but thats not hardly possible.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts