Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm doing my first trackday with NESBA at the end of April.

My tires are still plently good for the street. I'm just concerned about tech inspection since I have no idea what to expect going into it.

Anyone know what measured tread depth is acceptable?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read that. 1/2 tread in center doesn't particullary help if you don't know what they were new, hence why I'm asking if anyone knows something more specific.

Is this a good assumption? Measure the tread closer to the edge of the tire as a base line for new tread depth? Maybe something just outside my chicken strips?

How anal are they about what half is? Will it be measured or just a quick visual to see if they are glaringly bald?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
You will be fine as long as there's plenty of thread on the sides.

What kinda tires are you running?

·
BOTM Winner 07/12
1,714 Posts
Make sure the wear bars are not showing. Still I've never had anyone look at my tires that closely before...

Depends on who is doing the tech I guess

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Let me try again. Yes, you could spend the day wrestling the bike around the track on squared-off pieces of crap, but why? Track days are about fun, not about squeezing the last micron of rubber out of your beat-up tires. only that, but it would suck to be sitting in the grass surrounded buy broken plastic thinking to yourself, "dammit, I wonder if the tires caused that?"

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Let me try again. Yes, you could spend the day wrestling the bike around the track on squared-off pieces of crap, but why? Track days are about fun, not about squeezing the last micron of rubber out of your beat-up tires. only that, but it would suck to be sitting in the grass surrounded buy broken plastic thinking to yourself, "dammit, I wonder if the tires caused that?"
Couldn't have said it better! If you have any doubt go ahead and drop the cabbage on a new set. If not it's all up to you. Tech inspectors usually just glance at the bike to make sure it's fairly safe. I'm sure it'll pass.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
From the sounds of it he's barely been on the edge of the tires, so I'm sure the outer edge has 95% of its lifespan left. The only problem would be how quickly he'll be able to turn in depending on the level of squareness currently present.

·
Registered
183 Posts
first, nesba rocks. second, cant put a price on safety. see if any other guys are running the same tires and get advice from them, all tires feel/wear diff to each rider at diff levels.

where u going with nesba btw?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Metzler Sportec M5 are the tires.

I guess I will describe them as this. Not too much side wear at all. All i've done is road riding. They are not too the wear bars, and they are definitely not squared by any means, not even beginning to. I've never road on the track but I have enough riding experience to know when the wear is too excessive and tires are losing traction. These are not there, I would say if you excluded the punishment they will take on the track and only consider street riding, I would ride them all summer confidently.

I understand where you are coming from, if I were concerned about the traction the tire provides I honestly wouldn't have asked, I would have just said the hell with it and bought a new one. I've done it in the past on street bikes, dirt bikes, cars etc. Traction of this tire is not a concern, my concern is that the first track day has been incredibly expensive, all the gear and registration. Which I'm not complaining about, I understand these things cost money, especially the very first one.

BUT I'm going to be pissed if I ride up to tech and the inspector pulls out a tire gauge and say "o sorry, you're 1/32 too low, go home". Do you see what I'm concerned about?

where u going with nesba btw?
Beaverun, April 30

1 - 14 of 14 Posts