Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I plan on doing my first track day this upcoming season But the closest track is 2 hours away all I have is an suv so my 2 choices are to buy a trailer or ride my bike up there and I don't wanna ride my bike up there so I guess that narrows it down to buy a trailer my question is what do you guys use? I've never owned a trailer before But I don't wanna spend a lot of money on it I don't care if its inclosed door open My limit is about 1200 dollars I don't wanna buy just a motorcycle trailer if I can get something for the same price that can doubble for use around the house Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. thanks guys And sorry for the noob question

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
My buddy does about 5 trackdays a year and has a 4runner, and he rents a trailer from Uhaul every time. He lives in a town house tho so there is no trailer storage space. I want to say he can get the trailer for a whole weekend for under $50.

If you want to buy a decent trailer there are tons of RV/trailer centers in the area and you cound get a 6'x10' open trailer new for right around $1k.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
You definitely don't want to ride to the track unless you basically live right next to it. If you crash and can't ride it or hurt yourself your pretty much screwed. You always need a trailer IMO.

Well first thing is getting a trailer hitch and wiring harness if you don't have one. They can be a few hundred bucks. I got one from etrailer.com.

The trailers themselves come in a tonne of different varieties. Open trailers will likely be in your price range, closed ones are quite a bit more. There are so many you'd really have to look at them. If you want to haul garbage, yard waste, etc. then you'd want one with side walls, otherwise there are a lot of flat deck ones with 6" rails on the sides that are good for tying to. I like ones with wooden decks so you can drill wheel chocks into them if they don't have built in ones.

I've rented U-Haul trailers before and they do the trick if you don't think you'll use it that much.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
i just got a harbor freight 4'X8' foldable trailer for 300 and if you weld up the seams that sucker is super sturdy and for the price you cant beat it

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I use to rent a trailer from uhaul for $15/day, I would actually have it for 3 days. Pick it up at closing day before have it all day the next and return it first thing in the am the following day they would only charge me the $15 so not too bad. Ive since then stopped doing that since I bought my enclosed trailer and become a TD whore.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
You definitely don't want to ride to the track unless you basically live right next to it. If you crash and can't ride it or hurt yourself your pretty much screwed. You always need a trailer IMO.

Well first thing is getting a trailer hitch and wiring harness if you don't have one. They can be a few hundred bucks. I got one from etrailer.com.

The trailers themselves come in a tonne of different varieties. Open trailers will likely be in your price range, closed ones are quite a bit more. There are so many you'd really have to look at them. If you want to haul garbage, yard waste, etc. then you'd want one with side walls, otherwise there are a lot of flat deck ones with 6" rails on the sides that are good for tying to. I like ones with wooden decks so you can drill wheel chocks into them if they don't have built in ones.

I've rented U-Haul trailers before and they do the trick if you don't think you'll use it that much.
I use to rent a trailer from uhaul for $15/day, I would actually have it for 3 days. Pick it up at closing day before have it all day the next and return it first thing in the am the following day they would only charge me the $15 so not too bad. Ive since then stopped doing that since I bought my enclosed trailer and become a TD whore.
:+1: On everything they said... LEts do Fontana on the 7th fellas...

·
Registered
353 Posts
I bought a 5x8 open 'utility' trailer with a wood slat floor. I installed flush-mount D-Rings and other various brackets and tie downs. I use this to haul my two dirtbikes or my CBR. Works great for me the the trailer was only 600 new with TT&L.

I also use this for everything else that we need to move because I don't have a truck anymore.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i just got a harbor freight 4'X8' foldable trailer for 300 and if you weld up the seams that sucker is super sturdy and for the price you cant beat it
This.

I have a tiny garage, it's true. This thing folds up and sticks in the corner. A friend and I rigged it up to hold two bikes + ramp and extra crap.

It looks sketchy but works quite well.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hope you never have a blow out! Bike parts will be everywhere!

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Another vote for NOT riding to the track.

There are plenty of people that do it, but it just seems too harried for me. Unless you have a friend or two that will be there to help you prep the bike, bringing tools and all that. You need to get there a little earlier, prep your bike, get it back ready for street prep when you leave, and for me...I'm thinking, that I wouldn't be riding it as hard because it is my ride home. That kind of defeats the purpose.

Rent a Uhaul trailer, until you really figure out the investment associated with getting one. Check out the kinds of haulers that are being used by other trackday goers.

You could also get one of those trailer hitch deals where the bike just goes on a rail attached to your toe hitch. They're popular for dirt bikes, but seeing as you have a SUV, I'm sure it can handle it. Like one of these, but made for sportbikes.

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/Rage Powersports/MX600.html

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have found a local place that sells a 5x8 utility with a ramp for just over 500 bucks so that is most likely going to be the route i go i know winter just started but i can wait for spring and hitting the track

·
T. BOTM Winner 10/11
4,508 Posts
i got this 4x8 from a leonard truck place for $500, i think. i just put a cheap piece of wood down long enough to go under the wheels so it won't buckle. it's very handy, i've used it on several trips from nc to ri moving furniture, bikes, whatever and it easily fits in my garage with 3 bikes

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
holy crap...you're towing with a 4 door sedan???

·
T. BOTM Winner 10/11
4,508 Posts
yeah it's an si but with all that on there i was getting about 25 mpg, no issues accelerating or stopping either, i was really impressed. i had to keep reminding myself it was even there

·
Registered
60 Posts
For about $1200 you could also find yourself a semi clean little Yota like mine: 284,000 miles and still tickin! He ain't pretty and he ain't fast, but he gets good mileage and is reliable. Oh yeah, and cheap.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
holy crap...you're towing with a 4 door sedan???
Why not?

I have a 4 door sedan, 3.8lt engine auto box and tow stuff around quite regularly. Including my sisters (2.6 metric ton) car when she hit a roo about a year ago... 1000km round trip with no problems. I don't really notice bike when it's on my 6'x4'.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I have a 4 door sedan, and tow stuff around quite regularly. Including my sisters (2.6 metric ton...) with no problems.
HAhaHA.... Nico I was trying to see if anyone else towed with a car b/c I have a 5 x 8 trailer and can't afford to insure a 3rd vehicle right now so I'll be using my car too. I was reading your comment and I really though you were saying your 2 sisters weigh over 4,000 lbs. :crackup: LOL! Good to see someone else is doing what I'll be doing.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts