Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday was my first time on a track. I see myself as a pretty good rider on the street only been riding 3 yrs so i what to know what was your best track time first time at it mine wasn't to good but something to be proud of 1.48 on the thunderbolt in nj.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Track times should be the least of your focus during your first time out. I'm going to guess not many people have that info.

Congrats on getting out to the track!! Tbolt is a great course.

Reactions: stigup

·
Registered
426 Posts
I did my first track day last Monday. Up until then I thought I was a pretty good rider. 44 degrees and 1 1/2 inches of rain taught me that I absolutely suck. Oh well, plenty of time to improve.

As for times, I'm pretty sure my lap times were measured in hours not minutes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I did my first track day last Monday. Up until then I thought I was a pretty good rider. 44 degrees and 1 1/2 inches of rain taught me that I absolutely suck. Oh well, plenty of time to improve.

Hah, you and me both man. My first track day taught me the valuable lesson of the importance of good tires for the track. I realized after about the 3d low-side that maybe my 4 year old tires weren't cutting it. Also that my confidence was outpacing my actual skill ;P

As to the OP, I really doubt 99% of first timers at the track have their lap times, there is far too much other stuff to focus on improving first.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
Smooth transitions = fast so concentrate on these issues first and the rest will fall into place all on its own

·
Registered
563 Posts

That weather was miserable. You were on the blue Honda right? I was right behind you in the first session on that red/gray Triumph. I'll be at Summit Sunday, and it's already looking like better weather.

My first few times on the track I was too focused on getting used to riding on the track to worry about times.

·
Registered
426 Posts
That weather was miserable. You were on the blue Honda right? I was right behind you in the first session on that red/gray Triumph. I'll be at Summit Sunday, and it's already looking like better weather.

My first few times on the track I was too focused on getting used to riding on the track to worry about times.
Yes, I was on the blue Honda. Hope I rode predictable enough for you to pass me easily.

I'll be at Mid-Ohio this weekend. It is my closest track.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yes, I was on the blue Honda. Hope I rode predictable enough for you to pass me easily.

We did 2 laps, and my hands were so cold I never went above 40.

·
Registered
426 Posts
We did 2 laps, and my hands were so cold I never went above 40.
Mine were actually colder after the first full session after lunch. When I got off the track I had to have someone help me take my gloves off. I didn't know it was possible for hands to be numb and in so much pain at the same time.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Keep Pitt Race and Nelson Ledges in mind as well, they should be comparable distances for you (assuming you are still in Charleston). Nelson Ledges is kind of a crap hole but Moto Series is fun to run with (one of the main groups that rides there) and it is surprisingly sticky.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Keep Pitt Race and Nelson Ledges in mind as well, they should be comparable distances for you (assuming you are still in Charleston). Nelson Ledges is kind of a crap hole but Moto Series is fun to run with (one of the main groups that rides there) and it is surprisingly sticky.
Thanks. I'll check those out. Mid-Ohio is only about 3:45 (h:mm) from me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
295 Posts

Man! You weren't THAT slow! Stop knocking yourself. Speed isn't anything important at a track day, at least you were out there doing it. Going fast comes with time and practice.

Lap times are null and void on track days, I think. This isn't a RACE and no matter what the only trophy you get is not going down... There isn't a end of the day trophy for going the fastest around the track.

·
Registered
426 Posts
What track? I'll be at Shenny (Summit Point) on Sunday.
I was at Mid-Ohio and had an awesome couple of days. I ended up getting bumped up to intermediate so I'm scared again. A few of the coaches / control riders told me I will be fine. I guess they know what they are talking about.

A video from yesterday.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Definitely concentrate on being smooth, lines, brake markers... Speed will come, and lap times will decrease by them selves. Taking classes are great investment

·
Registered
1,797 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I hear that.

You look like you been riding track for a while and it surprised me that you were using the clutch still.

Was curious is all.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts