Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys maybe you can help me before I begin my own research. I'm about to spend some big cash on my girl for next season and I also want to try racing either this season or in 2005. Just a quick background to establish my level. I've done 4 track days, 1 at an international level raceway and 3 at a local (but very technical) track. By my 4th trackday I was running lap times that were 3-4 seconds off the pace of the pro race times. I got into high 1:19's where pros on the same track are running 1:16's. Bike is stock but I was running soft Supercorsa's. I've gott a lot more to learn but I'm starting to feel a need for better rear suspension. My suspension is pretty maxed out at the rear and I'm happy so far with the front, but may need to do the springs because I weigh205Lbs with the gear on. Does anyone have opinions regarding the differences in performance vs. price of Ohlins, Penske and Elka rear shocks? Same thing with dampers, are Scotts any good or should I stick with Ohlins because of their name? I'm looking into Rear Sets too, but know a guy who makes custom ones cheaper than any I've seen and have heard great things about him. I've got brakes, gearing and bodywork covered. Thanks for the info guys.

· Registered
1,830 Posts
If anything, suspension first. Minimum, the right springs in the front and a shock. Any of the good names will suffice for the shock. I believe Ohlins owns Scotts now so they are the same for radial dampers. Get the sag setup and the damping is your preference.
Rearsets are tricky. There are 'trick' looking ones like Attack, good quality, nice action, don't hold up in a crash. Woodcraft, basic looking, simple, less expensive and VERY strong. If your friend can make them for less than Wood's and be better, go for it.

Make sure you get the rulebook for wherever you are going racing and do all the safety wiring etc. that you have to. Set a budget and dont ever forget to HAVE FUN!

· Registered
78 Posts
Decide which club you might be racing with, find out who the fast guys are or who rides a 600RR in the club and call them. Ask who does their suspension work. If they all recommend the same shop, go there. If not call each one and talk with someone until you get the one that feels right.

When it comes to suspension, especially for racing, it is best if you can get a local tuner. Most are at the track on race weekends and can help with adjustments and perform maintenance (i.e. replace a fork seal) on the spot.

Each tuner has preferences on brand and products, but the short of it is that if they can make it right for you (within your budget) then brand isn't important.

Educate yourself early so you can determine a tuner from a wannabe. I suggest starting with Max's 'Suspension for Mortals' in print or video. This may help you prioritize what to buy as your budget allows.

G

·
I can't say there isn't a stock 600rr out there that wouldn't dramatically drop lap time with the proper springs and geometry, never mind proper damping.

Be careful when you post lap times compared to pros. A local track where professional riders don't go (and club level "experts" are the fast guys) is not the same as running within 3 seconds of a factory rider at an AMA circuit track.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble, just make sure you are spelling it out for us accurately!

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ITs a track in Southern Ontario called Cayuga Raceway. The fastest lap there is in the 1:14's on a 1000 by 2 Canadian Pros. I wouldn't compare myself to a factory AMA rider, those guys are fast, plus they know racecraft, I don't; I'm a new track rider. All I can compare is some pro Canadian riders at that specific track. Its Extremely technical but not very long (around 1.5 miles), its also the only track I've been to with a proper (albeit stock) set up and race tires. I'm already faster than the Club Level Experts that were there the days I was, except one. My very first track day at Mosport international raceway I was told that I was running low 1:40's on a bone stock 600RR (stock suspension set up and tires even) . The Canadian pros there on 600's run low 1:30's and high 1:29's. Please don't get me wrong, I know I'm capable of being really fast, but I know that there are many many others faster and better. I'm not saying this to brag, ok maybe I am, but I just wanted to illustrate that I will be making the most out of my suspension and that I can feel that the Showa on the bike now isn't giving me what I need from the it. I'm leaning towards the Ohlins, but only because its a name that is well known. If you guys are saying that the Penske and Elka offer the same adjustability and quality then I can just focus on price. I remember seeing a thread about Elka's here Max, how do they compare to the Ohlins? I'm just looking at products right now since its winter. I'm gonna get the shock, fork springs, sprockets and chain, and rear sets this winter. Its just a matter of what. For rears I'm leaning toward Vortex, Gilles, or Woodcrafts if that machinist doesn't pan out. Once I get the equpiment I'd appreciate more advice on how to use it.

· Registered
32 Posts
I got my Penske 3 way and fork work from Max/Traxxion..
just email Max for some info on a shock and fork work..
I got a pic of this bike with Traxxions suspension work at the NYC bike show last week..
#1 plate on this bad boy :wink:

G

·
That #1 ain't just for show!

They are the WERA National Endurance Overall and Heavyweight National Champions three years running.

2003, they were UNDEFEATED! That is pretty hard to do in endurance racing.

I just hate to brag....
:twisted: :mrgreen:

· Registered
221 Posts
Dirty Sanchez said:
For rears I'm leaning toward Vortex, Gilles, or Woodcrafts if that machinist doesn't pan out. Once I get the equpiment I'd appreciate more advice on how to use it.
Make sure you consider the price and availability of replacement parts for a racebike....you'll need them sooner or later on the track. :wink:

Vortex and Woodcraft are very common and you have a much better chance of picking up a replacement lever or footpeg with one of those 2 than with the Gilles i would think. I personally went with Woodcraft for both my racebikes and i am very pleased with them, plus the trackside vendors around here usually have replacement parts ready and waiting....

· Registered
32 Posts
Max dont pat your self to hard on the back you might brake something :lol2:

Im with Pilot on that..Woodcrafts are good enough and they sell replacement parts and fast delivery..no need for the fancy high cost rear sets..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.