Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reposting this from a local forum to get more exposure:

Ok, so I was given a set of Pirelli DOT tires so I can make my trackday in October. But me, being the "overly-cautious-about-anything-on-my-bike" guy, had to go and look at the date stamp on them. I'm not going to say what it was, they aren't new, but I would like to hear opinions on the oldest tire you would take out on the track.

The tires have been stored in a cool dry garage after they were dismounted, there's no signs of any decay or cracking or anything. They were used for 1 race and a couple of track sessions.

So, how old of a tire would you take out on the track; assuming they were stored properly? 2/B/Intermediate level track rider, if that matters.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I ran a ~4 year old Michelin pilot race tire no problem at all, top of B group. Would do it again. Most important thing is if the tire has been properly stored.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Theres not really a particular date where they go bad. If you could post that date, it would help us a lot. If we are talking 5 or 6 years... ya, may be a little skeptical. If it was a year or 2, I may risk it. Some advice would be to look at that date stamp, then walk outside and look at your bike. Is that bike worth the risk on tires? Again, just post the stamp and we can help a lot more.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Some advice would be to look at that date stamp, then walk outside and look at your bike. Is that bike worth the risk on tires? .
:+1: is $300 worth pitching your $5000+ bike down the road

·
Registered
241 Posts
At an intermediate pace, if the tires are in good shape (no signs of dry rot, and feel soft with the push of a fingernail) you are good to go! Especially on a warm day.

I have run 8 yr old tires before when my pace is intermediate.
But if I plan to bump to advanced, I rarely run anything older than 5 yrs, and they have to have been stored properly. For a race, I don't go older than 3.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I'd be wary of anything over 3 years old....but that's just me :)

Remember....Nothing sticks as good as nice fresh rubber !!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts