Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd post a few pics from my last trackday last weekend. Although only my third time ever on a track, I must say that I'm so stoked at just how easy our bikes allow us to become better riders. You always hear that in all the magazine tests but after last weekend, I so believe it. One question I've asked Disco and others is now that I'm at this level, I was wondering if I should move up to stickier tires as I feel like I'm pushing my tires to their limits. I've been using the BT-016's for my last two trackdays and never had one issue. But any feedback if anyone feels like the BT-002's or the new BT-003's would be better please offer opinion. Thanks!

A friend of mine did the 2-up ride, I've done it as well and it is AMAZING! They hit 160mph down the straight every lap and my buddy was beside himself by the time he was done lol.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Wow, nice pics. I am no expert. But it seems to me like if your leaning the bike way over with street tires. I would just lean my body more and keep the bike a little straighter, I would be afraid of low-siding. Great work tho, And oh. Fvvvvvvvvvvck no on the 2up deal. no way jose.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Nice man, looking good out there!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
You ride 2up to get a first hand experience of what instructors are talking about. It may look gay, but it takes some sack to get 2up with someone really fast.
The lean angle doesn't look that aggressive. I think those are stock rearsets, and they aren't dragging yet...

Hey az_cbr_1, how about those BT16s? How many TDs are you getting out of them at your pace?

·
Registered
922 Posts
You prolly won't exceed tire grip on entries for a while yet. So long as you don't start hammering it out of the turns you should be fine. Buddy of mine did a two-up last year and they were absolutely flying past the group. The instructor was on street tires...

DOT= sharper profile for easier turn-in, greater contact patch on rear for exit acceleration. Some dot's are pointy enough as to make fast r-to-l switching kinda hard too so...

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you have your suspension tuned prior to your track days?
I did have my suspension tuned last year. Not sure if you are supposed to keep getting it adjusted however, anyone? It feels great and no issues to this point!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Good body positioning. Looks like you are on the right track. (no pun intended)

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey az_cbr_1, how about those BT16s? How many TDs are you getting out of them at your pace?[/QUOTE]

I bought them new and did 2 trackday's on them so far. One of the instructors said I"m good for 2 more on those tires. Note that after the track I've been putting on my old pilot powers so the stones haven't really seen the street yet which helps.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A comment from Powermoose1 really got me thinking. So yes I do have stock rearsets as I have never had any issue with them dragging, so I figured why change them? I remember Coyze once telling me leave them stock since at least they bend backwards if they touch down, aftermarket rearsets you are usually screwed since they don't give. Most of that has to do with rider weight though right? So is it safe to say that even street/trackday tires like the 016's would grip even if leaned over more to where the pegs scrapped?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
2 up... Really?

Aside from that extreme amount of gayness from your friend your pics look good man.

Stickier tires suck! They handle like you can't imagine, but they will put your wallet in a choke hold.

·
Registered
117 Posts
As gay as it looks I would 2up in a sec...looks fun as long as my buddy aint in my ear sayin: faster, turn, slow down, brakes, etc. Would think it would be really beneficial with a good teacher on back:)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I did have my suspension tuned last year. Not sure if you are supposed to keep getting it adjusted however, anyone? It feels great and no issues to this point!
as long as its still doing what you want it to do then you should be fine, when you start to notice a different feel than what your used to or if your simply not getting your lap times faster thats when you'll want to look into upgrading & adjusting the suspension, have you sprung & valved it for your weight???

A comment from Powermoose1 really got me thinking. So yes I do have stock rearsets as I have never had any issue with them dragging, so I figured why change them? I remember Coyze once telling me leave them stock since at least they bend backwards if they touch down, aftermarket rearsets you are usually screwed since they don't give. Most of that has to do with rider weight though right? So is it safe to say that even street/trackday tires like the 016's would grip even if leaned over more to where the pegs scrapped?
your not even close to the pegs yet so i wouldn't be concerned, the 016's are prob bridgecraps first decent tire (besides dot race etc..) I personally won't run them because i'm so used to the corsa III profile & i have confidence in them. as far as your tires go, the 002 are great tires from everyone i've talked to about them and well.. they're inexpensive. Unless your getting abnormal slides or your just greasing the 016's up i'd say your fine for now, tires will also yield better times

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
yes "street" tires will get you well beyond dragging hard parts!

They can get you within 10 seconds or so of just about ANY track record in the country!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts