Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you guys track do you put on some race plastics or just take the chance and ride with oem?!:cruising:
I just got done rebuilding my bike after going down in the canyons last year! Now my roommate wants me to go with him to the track and do a track day next month. I really want to do a track day, but Im not sure If I really want to! LOL
I finally got everything back to oem and if anything happens I would be really pissed at my self or who ever caused for something to happen! I know its a safer place then most freeways.Im not sure If I should wait or what not.
What would you do?:ponder:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Have fun and ride hard but just try not to get caught up in competing with your friend. OEM should be fine as long as you keep the testosterone down. I know with me, when I am riding with other people it turns into a race every time so I need track plastics. Depends on your personality type.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Here is my $.02

Are you doing the track day to have fun and learn about your motorcycle or are will you be winning some prize money at the end of the day?

If you are not getting paid to push the bike to it's limits, why risk low or highsiding, or bodily injury to your person? It shouldn't be a race or competition if their is no substantial prize money in the end.

Make sure your suspension is tuned to your body weight (Full Gear) at least, tires warmed (proper pressures) and check your ego at the door. Ride your own ride.

At the proving grounds, we didn't run frame sliders. Mainly because it wasn't our bike, so there wasn't much to loose if we did crash... that is unless you count the man hours invested in testing, setups, labor, ect...

Being that it is your personal bike, it's recommended.

Otherwise man have fun doing it, it's addicting.

Peace,

Gabe

·
Registered
218 Posts
I did 6-7 trackdays last year. I ran all OEM on my 1krr and just taped everything up. As stated, check your ego at the door. The track is a place to have fun and learn, not get into a pissing match with the guy in front or behind you. Its not a race and should not be treated as such. Ride within your limits and the more you go, the more you will learn about you and your bike. I've been told and keep telling the main thing:

"Be courteous, be predictible and be consistant" If your diving into different lines and weaving across the track, your only a danger to others that might be around you and coming up behind you. Don't slam the gas or freak out and slam on the breaks in a curve. Do the drills your taught and you'll be fine and have fun all day. And always remember that you should ride within your limits, the moment you don't might be the moment your in the tire wall or sliding across the ground watching your baby fly back into pieces.

I had two close calls on the track, and both were my fault. 1st-Coming over a hill crest in near full lean and gave it a pinch to much gas and lost the back tire and went into the grass(but saved it!) 2nd-Wet conditions and again, gave it too much gas out of the curve and slid the rear tire back and forth a few times before straighting it up.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
you can find used race fairings here and on the WERA board for dirt cheap.
it don't have to look pretty, but its way better than crashing in OEM fairings.

D

·
0 Posts
you can find used race fairings here and on the WERA board for dirt cheap.
it don't have to look pretty, but its way better than crashing in OEM fairings.
Last trackday I did, I saw a bike get totaled out by his insurance because of the damage done to his OEM bodywork from a slow, 50mph tip-over in the dirt. The session before, my bike went sliding and flipping with fiberglass bodywork and stayed intact, aside from some cracking and deformation.

All it takes is one time for $2000 worth of bodywork to be destroyed. Much cheaper to go with a cheap set of track fairings and put less of a dent in your pocket.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Out of all of my track visits, I have yet to see a bike roll away from a crash with only damaged plastics. A crash usually does a lot more damage than to just your fairings.

Essentially, you answered your own question. If you don't want to risk it, don't go. Buy a spare set of plastics if you want, but don't think that you can't total your bike on the track.

That said, I run OEM plastics because they're already in rough shape :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Get some race plastics.....used if you can find them. You can always sell them later. They are easy to repair if you do crash them.

By the way, be prepared to become addicted. The track is like a drug!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'll agree with the becoming addicted part!

With that said, I'm set to do my 3rd track day at the end of April, and I'm still currently on my beautiful OEM plastics. But now everyone has me all nervous!

I don't have a dedicated track bike, and I don't really want to run the race plastics on the street. I think as long as you ride below your limits, you'll be fine. With that said, there are still a lot of crashes that happen at track days.

And I agree with the poster that said usually when a bike goes down, there's a lot more damage then just the plastics.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
If you have extra money for a set of track plastics, I highly recommend it. I've seen many shiny bikes with street plastics crash at the track, even first timers. you can never go wrong with a set and have the peace of mind and also a good future investment.

on the other hand, its perfectly ok to run your bike at the track with street plastics; granted you leave your ego at home, follow the instructors, and just have a good time. its not a race, there are no prizes so run your own pace. altho you can't rule out the event of a crash whether its your fault or not, you have to be prepared to accept it if you crash. If you can get full coverage insurance its highly advisable. I know for a fact State farm will cover you if you crash. My buddy crashed his shiny 07 ZX6R last February at the track and SF covered it.

S

·
0 Posts
Do it; get em and you can push your limits just a bit more than you would with the oem plastics imo

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Am I correct in assuming that you've never tracked your RR yet?

First off, congratulations for trying to get into being one on the VERY small percent of bike owners who ever track their bikes. you'll love it, and never want to do anything else. It will become an obsession.

I did my first track weekend in OE trim with all the unnecessary bits taken off and taped up. It was fine. If you're not doing a lot of wrenching and don't need fast access to the motor and stuff, it's fine. However, it is a risk you have to take, just like the risk that the whole rest of the bike could get messed up if you really biff it too. There's nothing you can do to guarantee the safety of every piece of your machine when you ride, street or track. you just have to accept that, or don't ride.

That said, here are 2 options:

1) Find some cheap track plastics. They're not too hard to come by if you aren't picky about what they look like. Shiny or dirty, you'll go just as fast. (Fellow CFD fanatics disregard that)

2) Run OEM plastics and get frame sliders, if you don't have them already. Also, front and rear axle sliders help too. I'd advise removing your headlight pods as well. They're EXPENSIVE if you break them in a wreck. Anything that doesn't need to be on there, take it off. Blinkers, mirrors, license plate, even flushmounts, take them off. The less stuff that is out there on the bike the less that can potentially be damaged if you happen to go down.

Regardless of what you chose to do, be sure to try and go out there with confidence. Don;t be a cocky jerk and play boy racer right away, I'm just saying believe in yourself and your bike, don't worry a lot about what might happen, and focus instead on what IS happening. Be smooth, not fast, and speed will come on it's own. Think about what you're doing, make a mental checklist of prepwork to be done, and like the guys said, leave your ego at home.

Best of luck to you! :banger:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the imput guys and gals! I really want to do a track day but Im thinking its in my best interest to loose a few pounds 1st. I went down last year up in the mountains and am just now getting back on the bike after being off it for 9 months. But Im now 40+lbs heavier then before. Im 6'2" and weigh in at 245lbs. WOW IM FAT! My roommate is still trying to talk me into doing a trackday but, this extra 40lbs I think is going to be in my way!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts