Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've been considering doing trackdays, and maybe even one day have a dedicated track bike. I was wondering how much you guys usually spend doing all this stuff. I'd like to hear from everyones experience from ocassional track day goers, to all you track junkies.

I'm not looking for any specific costs. I just want to see a general view of what everyone spends their money on, and how often. Feel free to be as specific or general as possible.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I get 3-4 days out of a set of tires so at 330 for tires and 160x4 for trackdays it ends up being about $1000 every 4 days plus gas to get there. I don't consider food cause you got to eat regardless and I like to camp at the track which also reduces costs and the boys like to camp.

·
Registered
192 Posts
A lot. Might get a bit more outta DOT tires, but then you add up all the gear to get started, brakes every 3-4 days, oil changes every other, gas, camping stuff to stay overnight, or hotel rooms if you go that route.... and this is only if you don't wreck!

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
But you can't put a price on the fun, improvement, added safety, and time with friends hehe

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
usmcr6 said:
But you can't put a price on the fun, improvement, added safety, and time with friends hehe
+1

I try to be frugal. I look for deals at trackdays-I usually pay $99-$135 for trackdays (with few exceptions). I also try to get in on some future deals-for example, theres one trackday organizers that does a special december invitation only trackday costing $75. if you've been to one of theirs throughout the year you are automaticallly invited. Those kinds of deals are awesome. I also always enter raffles and any trackday giveaways that might happen on any number of the local riders forums, or spacial group deals for that particular forum...

So lets say I paid $135 for the trackday. It includes food so no extra cost there, unless I want a snack then I bring from home.

I drive there the morning of instead of paying for a hotel-limits my track options but there are still plenty for me within 2 hr drive. gas for the drive and for the bike usually amounts to $70 or so.

dinner afterwards can be $15-$20.

I get about 3 trackdays for each set of tires (pilot powers). so 330/3=$110 per trackday for tires.

So thats about $340 or so per trackday...wait, I also rent a trailer to haul the bike so thats another $40.

not including any of my time off work either...
**** thats expensive...but SO worth it...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
since your in the area I'll probably run into on a track day or two. those some pretty reasonable prices for an occasional track day. i probably wouldn't be running as hard you guys for the first few times. Are street tires okay for the track?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
well, before nemisis (or was it someone else) comes on and tells you street tires shouldnt be run at the track...let me tell you street tires are really sticky and would be fine for most novice (track) riders. I run a pretty fast pace and street tires work fine for me.

these are street tires:

if you see me at a trackday come by and say hello:

I'll be at streets of willow (a group) sept 24, and fontana (level 2) nov 25. havent decided on others yet but likely will be doing buttonwillow oct 16th with ti2tt.net.

just...dont run into me...please. been there, done that. LOL...

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
sadly yes, I suck...hahahahha...I'm aiight.

planning buttonwillow oct 16th with take it to the track (ti2tt.net) but havent confirmed/registered yet. 90% certain.

·
Registered
352 Posts
ehhh...its not really all that expensive, especially if you plan it right

The track is 3hrs away from me, so I tend to go up the night before and sleep at a cheap motel: thats 30 dollars.

I go to Jennings, which is pretty cheap. The most expensive days are only 125 if you register the friday before the weekend you wanna go...I tend to go Mondays, which are 100 dollars.

As for tires, I recently started doing the labor myself, so a new set usually runs me about 250. Those will last me 4 days or so...figure at the most, tires for a day run me 75 bucks. Ive saved money in the past by purchasing race take-offs for only 100 bucks, I get 3 days out of those. Tires for me range from 33-75 a day.

Dinner the night before, water, snacks, cheap lunch...figure all that stuff comes to about 30 tops.

Gas for the 3hr drive plus running the bike is only about 50 bucks or so...luckily I manage to tow the bike on a trailer with my honda accord.
One track day...anywhere from about 245-285 dollars...not too bad since I go once a month. Hell I used to spend ALOT more than that just goin out drinking in college.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
zus600rr#388 said:
I have a kid on the way so not to sure about making it $$$$$$. i think I'm done racing for the year too (me crying)
my wife's 3+ months pregnant with our second...so I'm getting the trackdays out of the way before baby arrives. THEN I'll definitely be done for a while....LOL. congratulations btw.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
A trackday: $140-$195 (Fontana or Laguna's too expensive for me)
Ride there (usually share w/ others): $50-$150
Tires: you could run street, so use the ones you have on, unless they're squared off
Gas (and in a $15 can): I've used 4 gallons max, I never run out my 5gal.can after a day.
Lunch: from included to $10 meal
The Fun: priceless

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Jotaro said:
I've used 4 gallons max, I never run out my 5gal.can after a day.

The Fun: priceless
you mean you've never gone through a tank of gas at the track? OMFG pin the throttle man! lol...j/k. at BW I go through one tankful and 1/2-3/4 of a 15ga jug. Big Willow its full tank, full 15ga jug and then a little more...
streets its usually a full tank and some from the jug, sometimes not.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
pantablo said:
you mean you've never gone through a tank of gas at the track? OMFG pin the throttle man! lol...j/k. at BW I go through one tankful and 1/2-3/4 of a 15ga jug. Big Willow its full tank, full 15ga jug and then a little more...
streets its usually a full tank and some from the jug, sometimes not.
wow, that's all I can say, pablo-man
and what big jug you have, lol jk
o congrats too on the second kid coming :icon_pidu

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Hmmm, I'm doing my first one this weekend and have everything paid for...

$500 for a suit(cheap)
$400 for Track membership and 2 days
$250 for Tires
$100? for getting them installed(haven't done this yet)
$225 for back protector and gloves
$50 for extra brake fluid,water wetter, and numbers
$150 tools and what not(I am going to a track day at school and have nothing)
$35 for stomp pads

Total:$1710 roughly to get started, Luckily I dont have to buy this crap every weekend I go.

This doesn't include Frame Sliders(you need) as well as race plastics which I am not buying because they wont fit the 07.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts