Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, apologies for such a wierd first post, but figured this would be a lot better place to ask than the Gixxer forums...

I've had an '06 Gix 1k for a couple years, and am seriously thinking about trading for new CBR600RR.

I'm no wanna-be street racer, but a middle-aged dude who's ridden sport bikes my whole life, and just can't seem to move over to a cruiser. :) I ride it to work now and then when the weather's good, have fun on weekends in the local twisties, ride to local bike nights, etc.

I freaking LOVE the Gix 1k, it's the only bike I've truly loved since my '87 Hurricane 600, but it's just basically like riding a stick of dynamite around all the time. I just rarely, and I mean RARELY come close to using what it's capable of. It's just nuts, that much power on the street. I've ridden it for two years and never had a close call (knock on wood) but it just kind of takes the fun away having so much damn power all the time where you have to be so careful. (Can't believe I said that.)

After all the reviews of the new 600RR, it has me harking back to the good old days of my Hurricane. I loved that bike, and it was nothing compared to the current 600.

Problem is, one side of me is scared I'll move back to a 600 and it will feel like a slug to me after driving the 1k. I'm knocking 50 hp right off the top. I sure wish I knew someone with a modern 600 who would let me ride, but I don't.

I am 99% sure I'd love the 600, and it would be PLENTY power, but that 1% doubt is killing me. I've tried riding my 1k only taking her up to about 7000, which is about the same HP the 600 peaks at, but I know that's just not the same because the engine feels like it's being short shifted.

So really I'm asking for some honest mature responses if anyone has ridden a modern 1k, and compared to a new 600RR. What could I expect?

Any advice appreciated. Should I do it, or just keep the 1k, which I love and be happy? I'm REALLY leaning toward getting the 600. I think I'd love something I could come closer to wringing it out more often...

OH, hi from a newbie to the board. :)

-ZBoomer

·
Registered
44 Posts
I too am a middle aged sport bike guy that just can't seem to make ther jump to cruisers, and I went throught the same decision making process before I got the '07 600RR. My friends said I was nuts, but I have had an ear to ear grin ever since I got the '07 600RR. I have been riding sport bikes for 17 years, started with 600 ninja, then a few kawi zx-7s, and finally a yamaha R-1. I have no doubt I made the right decision, it is so much more fun to ride around town than the litre bike in my opinion, I actually feel like I get to wring it's neck. Even though the R-1 handled well, there is no comparison to how the 600RR handles. I am totally satisfied with the '07 600RR!

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
hey Boom.

you'll love the new 600RR. just go and try it. you'll instantly fall in love with how confidence inspiring the bike is. you can throw it around, rev it to 14k in low gears, and pretty much have your sadistic ways with it, and it won't even flinch.

It's just a good looking bike with performance to match.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
You won't regret trading it for a 600RR, can you say usable power.

·
Registered
122 Posts
ill put in my 2 cents.. i have a 05 600rr.. with just a pipe and im -1 down and +2 up.. i have had it for 2 + yeas now and must say it is a freaking blast to ride.. handling is awesome.. fun to do wheelies on... light, so it doesnt feel like a pig.

now.. my buddy has an 07 gsxr1000 that he let me ride for a weekend while he was out of town.. OMG the pure power and acceleration factor makes me want one.. BUT... it doesnt handle like the 600rr.

So, if you are wanting a fun bike that handles great and dont need to have the fastest bike on the street.. you will love the 600rr.

but i must admit.. 100+ mph power wheelies were awesome to do.. but i couldnt corner like i could on the 600.

so it comes down to :
600rr= blast to ride on the street for 90% of the riders out there.. has more then enough power to satisfy the average to above average rider.

1000= pure power... if you must go fast 90% of the time then stick with it....
just my opinion tho.. since i have rode both of those bikes and other liter bikes.. i would say that best describes it.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
The gixxer1k is an awesome bike, plenty of power and great looks and features. the 600RR is like its little brother in my opinion, but with better suspension and build quality. I've ridden my friend's red/black 06gixxer1k around the twisties and that was almost comparable to my bike except the gixxer had more power of course. you will notice a big weight difference tho with the 07RR vs the Gixxer1k, as the RR is very light, nimble, and easy to ride.

I've ridden all 3; Gixxer1k, 07RR and 06RR. do a test ride on the 600RR and see how you feel. you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have friends that have gone from 1000rr's and GSXR 1000's and love the 600rr more for the nimbleness. I personally like revving it out to get power. Some like staying in one gear. I like being able to shift and rip it up. if you go with the 600 I do not think you would be dissapointed.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses, really appreciated! I keep waffling, I sure wish I could just have both, but my (new) wife would kill me.

How's the latest RR in cruise mode? Ie when I take her on my 20 mile ride to work on the freeway, is she gonna buzz me to death?

I found a local guy who runs a used-bike business who has an '07 600RR (Black/Grey), with only TWENTY miles on it. I haven't gotten the story yet, but strange to have a used bike with such low miles. I guess either the owner wanted something bigger, or was a newbie and it was too much for him?

He's asking $7900, does that sound reasonable? I haven't tried to negotiate yet. It's practically a new bike. Honestly I wanted a red/black one though, but I guess the black would match my black '07 Tundra truck.

thanks again!

·
Registered
642 Posts
If he is asking 7900 you can probably get it for 7500... thats a sweet deal. I would try to snag it. The buzzing you to death.. well it never bothers me but I hav eonly owned 600's. I did ride a friends BMW k1200s and another friends 1000rr... I must say that they are more cruiser type bikes. I love ringing my little 600's out though.

·
Registered
348 Posts
...He's asking $7900, does that sound reasonable? I haven't tried to negotiate yet. It's practically a new bike. Honestly I wanted a red/black one though, but I guess the black would match my black '07 Tundra truck.

thanks again!
You can buy a brand new one for that... this is the deal I got on a 2008 Grafitti CBR600RR

Price for the bike: US$ 7,856.69
OTD: US$ 9,750.00
Purchased at RideNow Powersports of Orlando

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Ive got a Hayabusa and a 07 600 rr. I rarely ride the Busa anymore since I got the 600.The 600 wins Hands down to me. I want to trade the 07Busa w/ 2700 miles on it for a another 600rr. I would just keep one in track trim.
Anyway ,Youwill never regret the switch. My friend with a builtup 00 G1K rode my Honda and asked when He could ride it more .

·
Registered
810 Posts
ZBoomer,

I own presently 4 bikes,
2 x GPX250 ninja's, 1 x CBR400 (NC29) & the 600rr7. I had a Fireblade as my last bike, but due to driving this far too fast every time I got on it - due to limited throttle control :toothy4: I got rid of it.

Sure,

coming out of a bend at 50 with the back wheel spinning,
or lifting the front at 100 + under power,
looking at the speedo at 165 & realising you are NOT is top gear is fun..
BUT..
your licence will only last so long as you get used to hitting 3 digits every time you get on the bike..
Speed sure is adictive :icon_lol:

Do I miss it.

Not even a little bit...
the 600rr7 will change your conception of the middleweight bikes.
What an EPIC bike this is.

Please just take 1 for a test ride & tell us about it!

Pete

·
Registered
642 Posts
You can buy a brand new one for that... this is the deal I got on a 2008 Grafitti CBR600RR

How did they get you for 1893.31 on top of their asking price. Its a numbers game. That 7800 someone is asking for a used bike is 7800 OTD. Wachuko somehow I feel like you got hosed. if you think you got a good deal then sweet. regardless you did not get your bike for 7856.69 even though the paperwork may say so it was a numbers game. If you got the warranty on it also you still did not get a superb deal.

7800 OTD for that bike is a good deal no matter how you slice it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
How did they get you for 1893.31 on top of their asking price. Its a numbers game. That 7800 someone is asking for a used bike is 7800 OTD. Wachuko somehow I feel like you got hosed. if you think you got a good deal then sweet. regardless you did not get your bike for 7856.69 even though the paperwork may say so it was a numbers game. If you got the warranty on it also you still did not get a superb deal.

7800 OTD for that bike is a good deal no matter how you slice it.
did not see the "otd" 7800 otd is a great deal!

Not saying I got a great deal, just sharing what I paid for mine.

·
Registered
479 Posts
ZBoomer where are you located?

·
Registered
141 Posts
There's a guy I ride with every weekend that has a Hyabusa for the street and a RC51 track bike. His wife has a 05 600rr. He rode the 600rr on the track once and said he fell in love with it and that it was a lot more fun to ride than his RC51. He pretty much has to have a Hyabusa for the streets becauce he's about 6'5". I've heard him say several times that he really wants a 600rr. Go test ride one and you will love it, they are a lot more flickable than what you are used to and still plenty of power. Remember that you can always change the gearing a little to get more bottom end power if you want it.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Thanks for the responses, really appreciated! I keep waffling, I sure wish I could just have both, but my (new) wife would kill me.

How's the latest RR in cruise mode? Ie when I take her on my 20 mile ride to work on the freeway, is she gonna buzz me to death?

I found a local guy who runs a used-bike business who has an '07 600RR (Black/Grey), with only TWENTY miles on it. I haven't gotten the story yet, but strange to have a used bike with such low miles. I guess either the owner wanted something bigger, or was a newbie and it was too much for him?

He's asking $7900, does that sound reasonable? I haven't tried to negotiate yet. It's practically a new bike. Honestly I wanted a red/black one though, but I guess the black would match my black '07 Tundra truck.

thanks again!
if $7900 is the final price for that 07RR with low miles, then go for it. you can probably find cheaper 07's but they will have more miles.

wachuko said:

that's a good price for an 08 but remember that is almost $2k more than the 07 because of taxes and all the dealer fees etc.
The 07 and 08 are exactly the same bike except for color so unless you are getting a great deal on a 08 graffitti or orange, i would go with an 07 and save yourself some money!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Taxes and dealer fees should be no more than 1000.... I was wondering where the 1800 came from. Go with the 07 and save some bank.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts