Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is this thing for real? it's suppose to be a very powerful magnet which is attached to your bike(via epoxy). this magnet helps trigger the magnetic sensor at a stoplight. IT DOESN'T AUTOMATICALLY CHANGE THE LIGHT. it just lets the sensor know there's a vehicle there so the light can change when ready.
this avoids either running the light (what i do) or going around it by takin a right or whatever. if anyone has this and it works, let me know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You can save yourself some money if you can get your hands on an old computer hard drive. Pull the magnets out of there – it’s the same thing.
I haven’t had a need to use them on the 600, but I’ve used them before quite successfully on smaller bikes...

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
thats pretty cool, I always have problems with that especially if Im waiting to turn left in a left turn only lane. I'm going to go to the dump and see what I can dig up for an old computer tower sometime soon.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Alex said:
Sensor lights never pick up my 600. All you need is a magnet?
Yep, a strong magnet or two should do the trick (or at least help you on your way). Dunno what it's like in the US, but over here you can actually see where the sensors have been cut into the bitumen. As long as I ride straight up over the left or right hand cuts I don't usual have any problems on my 600...

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Yah had the "signal tripper" from Tricktape.. $15 for a 1x2" magnet with doublesided 3m tape.. but, it works on the loop sensor intersections.

Some of the intersections around here are still weight-sensative.. which the magnet does nothing for.. however if we're riding in a group the combined weight usually works

·
Registered
213 Posts
I try to pull ahead of the white line. That way a car can pull in behind me and trip the sensor if their is one. My second option, (I rarely do) is to wait for the light to go through 2 cycles and if my light doesn't change, I usually just run it. Most of the time this is at night and hardly anyone is around. If I get pulled over, I would explain my situation to the cop or judge, it might not work though.

-pharaoh

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
The lights with the magnetic sensor are the ones with the strips of metal in the ground near the white line, the magnets will help to trip these. The ones that use optical sensors have cameras mounted on the light poles. They sense the image of the vehicle at the light. They are the ones that are supposedly triggered by flashing your lights (supposed to be for emergency vehicles).

·
Registered
186 Posts
ryoung57 said:
The lights with the magnetic sensor are the ones with the strips of metal in the ground near the white line, the magnets will help to trip these. The ones that use optical sensors have cameras mounted on the light poles. They sense the image of the vehicle at the light. They are the ones that are supposedly triggered by flashing your lights (supposed to be for emergency vehicles).
Good Info...never knew that.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
I know there's a lot of techie guys on the board....

If you have an old hard drive that you're not using, take the drive apart. Surrounding the coil end of the arm that has the heads on it, is a magnet (usually a pair mounted on metal plates) that is incredibly strong.

There's your signal tripper right there. Don't bother paying for one.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
LOL, there is this traffic light on Beach Blvd turns left into the Autobacs... I got stuck there... and you cant turn or do aything because it the turn lane is completely separated... you are trapped... Moreover it is a extremely busy street and way too dangerous to run the light. I had to wait till a car came up behind me.

When I got off my bike, I saw this couple on one of those big huge cruisers with storage compartments, stereo, arm rests, etc... and they got stuck there. Well, I went in the store and did some shopping, came back out, got on my bike and left the parking lot, came to the light to turn right and they were still there. The dude was rolling the big huge bike back and forth and the lady on the back was throwing her arms up in frustration... One of the funniest things Ive ever seen. :lol2:

·
Registered
88 Posts
hahah yeah ive noticed this too. We have loop sensors here on base. I always thought that the bike was so light and not alot of metal for the magnetic coil layed under the pavement to pick up the metal. Ill probably try the hard drive mag thing. Ive got alot of Alnico magnets sitting around here for experiments ill probably tape two of them down near the lowwer front cowling.
Speaking of wierd things like this....Do any of you guys notice that the 600RR is very "non registering" to radar? Every time i come up to one of those radar display trailers, it doesnt pick me up at all. And works perfectly fine with my car and truck the same day.
Also when going down highway i suddenly topped hill and there was State Trooper. I thought for sure i was a gonner, so i just slowed down and stayed straight like nothing happened. And i wasnt pulled over. The officer kept looking at his gun. This got me thinking about how well our bikes reflect radar. We do have some funky shaped radiators, which is the most metal sensored part to reflect back the radar to the gun. Lazer will work, but he would have to bounce it off our headlights to get a signal back. :shock:

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
All you have to do is thumb the starter once or twice. Works absolutely everytime for me. It creates a small electrical field like a magnent. Only thing I don't like about doing it is how your headlight goes off and on so sometimes I get looks from across the intersection since I'm flashing my lights at them.

·
Registered
186 Posts
GA_RR said:
All you have to do is thumb the starter once or twice. Works absolutely everytime for me. It creates a small electrical field like a magnent. Only thing I don't like about doing it is how your headlight goes off and on so sometimes I get looks from across the intersection since I'm flashing my lights at them.
So you just hit the killswitch and the starter button at the stoplights? This would work?

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
So you just hit the killswitch and the starter button at the stoplights? This would work?
Just the starter button....no kill switch. The bike is still running when you thumb the starter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts