Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some are on a timer, some have a "camera" and some are weight sensing...

So what do you guys do to get the light to turn green for you???? I get stuck sitting at the weight sensing ones and often have to run em if there's no traffic around.. Any way to trick it into thinking a big ole heavy '47 Buick is sitting there?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
hit the start switch usually works, but not always. Also find the line in the road where the sensor is and put your kickstand down on the line. If those dont work, run it. Damn the man.

·
Registered
198 Posts
hell, try being only 120lbs (wet?) Freaking lights piss me off.

·
Registered
364 Posts
You want to make sure you stop on the weight plates at the stop light. Sometimes they'll change if you flash the high beams at it. I'm not sure about other places, but you are allowed to run red lights at your discretion in California if they cycle 4 times without turning for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
theres this thing you can buy on ebay. It tricks the weight sensor on the ground to make it seem like theres more weight. Im boutah buy one from my friend cuz he got a extra. =D

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
How do u trick a wieght sensor? :p

Some are magnetic, detecting a certain amount of metal when it enters the field and then changing thus, that is what the device your thinking of does, it tricks it in to thinking there is more metal there then it already does by generating and addition magnetic field. At least thats how I have been explained it works.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
it's inductance, guys
most are timers, but more and more are thru inductive loop;
hovering some big chunk of ferromagnetic metal (metals attractive to magnet) will cause an induction fluctuation and that will hit the switch.

since most of the material on our bikes are aluminum, maybe but the kickstand,
putting on a strong piece of magnet as close as possible to the pavement can do the trick. also, i heard sometimes hitting the starter switch works since it generates a certain level of electromagnetic force

edit: here's a link http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question234.htm

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
How do u trick a wieght sensor? :p

Some are magnetic, detecting a certain amount of metal when it enters the field and then changing thus, that is what the device your thinking of does, it tricks it in to thinking there is more metal there then it already does by generating and addition magnetic field. At least thats how I have been explained it works.
around where i live i have noticed that i can't change a majority of the traffic lights because they use electromagnetic sensors. If after a "reasonable" amount of time, and no one else (cager or bike with steel/iron) comes along, I will go through it.

***I was wondering something: say I got caught by a COP as I was going through the redlight cuz it wouldn't change, do u think that he/she will understand my explanation for what i did????

Have any of u guys ever been pulled over for going through a light that won't change? I would hope that they would understand why u had to do such action.

·
Registered
506 Posts
What does your weight have to do with a sensor that picks up metal? Those squares you see on the ground are the lines for the sensor, not a "weight plate". I think it's freakin hilarious when you see a rider jumping up and down on his bike at a light trying to trick the non-existent scale.. ;)

I work at the airport, and to get out of airside when you're not in a vehicle; we have a cookie sheet we simply slide over the sensor, and the gate opens. That sheet is nowhere near 120 pounds..lmao...

·
Registered
183 Posts
yea alot of them around hear are magnetic witch doesn't work for a motorbike built out of aluminum and plastic the starter tricks works sometimes. my friend has one of thoes triper devices he says it works every time.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
lol yea that's pretty funny!

There AREN'T SCALES under the asphalt! NO traffic lights go by weight! NONE!

that circle you see is where a stranded cable is stalled which is then energized. (you see the tar that patched the cut in the asphalt that was made with a concrete saw) Being it is in a circle it creates a magnetic field. More wraps the more sensitive it is.

Bikes being mostly Al or an Al alloy is why you have the problem.

Always love the weight comments though! lol

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
i normally go through if there's no traffic. otherwise i end up waiting for another to come by and trip the sensors.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The kickstand thing works some of the time but its a pain in the ass to wait at every light wondering if you've tripped it or not, so you decide to do the kickstand trick at every light regardless...but that just becomes an unessesary hassle.

Maybe buy one of these for $20

http://www.signalsorcerer.com/

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I've got the little magnet on the bottom of my fairing. It HELPS.
70% of all the lights I pull up to will give me my turn to go.
But there are a handful that I'm invisible to, even with all those methods previously described.
Now I don't bother doing all that and just run it after a cycle/few minutes.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I tell you what I think is funny... When dumbass believe everything they hear kind of people sit at a light flashing their highbeams. LOL.

As they stated above its not weight, its not a camera, its not some magical light sensor. Its inductance. No more no less.

·
Registered
166 Posts
yep its plain ole inductance, loop detectors are what they are called there is also a set back loop which plays a part in cycling the light so in actuality you hit the starter, put down kickstand, buy stuff or whatever else but if that set back loop is constantly getting tripped you will be there until enough inductance build up or the set back loop is triggered less often.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts