Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a little model trying to figure out where I want to put my bolts so I can strap down mine and a friends bike, I've got some points already from strapping my bike down by itself. (all the points on the floor are already installed)

Do these seem like good locations?

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Front looks fine, you don't have to do the rear unless you want to.. Put 4 bikes in our trailer and never strap the rear, have never had a problem.. T

·
Registered
13 Posts
Straping in..

GSU--

What has worked great for me is running a short strap straight down from the rider footpegs. Very secure and not hard on the front fork seals. Also a front wheel chock will help load and unload a lot. Good luck with your blueprint.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Front looks fine, you don't have to do the rear unless you want to.. Put 4 bikes in our trailer and never strap the rear, have never had a problem.. T
T, so did you ratchet the front down (Im planning on using canyon dancers on the bars), or did you use pull straps on them?

and the rear positions will be hooked to the pass peds if I use them

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
We use ratchet straps on the front.. Have canyon dancers with pre-cut to length straps that will only pull till the bike is loose, they can't come all the way off. Makes on/off of the bikes very quick and easy.

Leave the bikes loose until we are ready to leave then strap down, when to the destination loosen them back up to where no tension is on them.. Have flush mount wheel chocks as well to hold the wheels straight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 2 cents.............use the canyon dancers and make sure that the straps have some sort of foward angle on them and extend out and away from the bike slightly as well. If you were to have no outward direction, the bikes can move.....you only need slight forward direction, but i think you have that covvered in your diagram. Strapping the rear isnt needed, but is ok to do if you want to play it safe.

·
Registered
991 Posts
One recommendation, instead of having the inside bars connect at the same point on the ground, have them cross similar to how you plan on doing the rear. Right now they are a little too straight forward and the bikes can tip (I did the exact same set up once and had a bike fall). Have the left bike's right handlebar connect to the floor or top of the rail right in front of the right bike's front tire or even farther right if possible and do the opposite for the right bike. Let me know if I need to clarify. Basically the wider of a "V" you can make with the straps the less you have to tighten the straps to make it stable.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
i hate what the canyon dancers do to my grips. i started tying them down with the racheting strap going over the lower triple and almost str8 to the ground. i've found this to work best for me. also, as far as straping down the rear, it depends on what trailer i'm using. if it's my smaller trailer i have to strap the rear to keep the bike from hopping up and moving all over the place(I-5 sucks). if we're taking the tracktactics trailer(larger enclosed), i can just strap the front of the bikes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would definitely strap the back. I had a front mount come out of the deck (old wood) and I'm glad I had the back strap, which saved the bike from falling out of the trailer! Also, going over bumps, the back can bounce around and now your bike will be twisted and on an angle.

P.S. you have too much time on your hands! However, nice model.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
P.S. you have too much time on your hands! However, nice model.
Thanks, it only too me like 45 mins using Google Sketchup (its free from google). I use AutoCad at work all the time so I like playing around with 3D stuff sometimes.

And thanks for the insight everybody, I think I'm def gonna strap the backs down just to be safe. And I'll def take that advice about not strapping the front at such a straight angle, I'm probably gonna mount some new points on top of the trailer.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
i hate what the canyon dancers do to my grips. i started tying them down with the racheting strap going over the lower triple and almost str8 to the ground. i've found this to work best for me. also, as far as straping down the rear, it depends on what trailer i'm using. if it's my smaller trailer i have to strap the rear to keep the bike from hopping up and moving all over the place(I-5 sucks). if we're taking the tracktactics trailer(larger enclosed), i can just strap the front of the bikes.

Take some toilet paper tubes and put them on your grips before you strap on the canyon dancer. Works pretty well and cheaper than going out and buying a cycle cynch.

For the op, get the strap points for the bikes as far forward and down as you can for the front. I use the rear passenger pegs as strap points for securing the rear so it doesn't bounce around so much.

·
Registered
139 Posts
For the op, get the strap points for the bikes as far forward and down as you can for the front. I use the rear passenger pegs as strap points for securing the rear so it doesn't bounce around so much.
If you don't have passenger pegs, hook onto the subframe.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Take some toilet paper tubes and put them on your grips before you strap on the canyon dancer. Works pretty well and cheaper than going out and buying a cycle cynch.

Thanks for the tip I will try that next time.

As mentioned above dont really need th rear straped but i usually run one through my swingarm just incase.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a wheel choke in the center for trailering just my bike, but this time I'll be trailering two bikes and I dont really want to buy and mount new wheel chokes. I'll post up some pics when we get them loaded up for the trip (June 25th weekend)

·
Registered
98 Posts
if you are using a wheel chox, condor had a demonstration at the JP Cycles open house last year. They say the correct way is to first ride the bike into the chox, then strap the bike FORWARD from a low back position on the bike. I use the swing arm on my bike to pull the bike forward. this is because the rear shock will not not be compressed and the bike will not bounce going down the road. After you have tightened that up, use canyon dancers to compress the front down and forward. this holds the front stable. Ive used this setup 100 times and over thousands of miles, and i have never had to adjust the straps or the bike while in route. it is a great way to strap any motorcycle down and i find it to be the safest.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts