Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am posting my question in here because it won't let me post it in the "Frequently asked questions part". My question is. Is it bad to leave my 05 600rr on the trailer with the front suspension strapped down for a day or so?? The reason I ask is because when I used to have dirt bikes we had front fork supports which helped save your fork seals while trailering? Is their a certain way I should strap it down to put let force on the front forks ???

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
dont compress em all the way.
a lot of peopel compress the sh1t out of it thinking that has tpo be done, get em tied down nice and soild, but once you can shake the bike and the entire truck/trailer whatevr moves positively with it, that sall you need.

If you make a long trip, say your traveling all day or overnight, or something, loosen it up when your not commuting.

·
C.F.A. member **New Joyzeeeeeee Racer YAAAA BOY
1,726 Posts
^^^ +1 you dont want to keep the pressure built up in the forks too much or too long.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I compress half way, and release the presure if the bike stays on trailer over night.

let try to make this make sense

You only need to compress the springs a little more than the bike would compress them under its own weight while it is being hauled so that the tow strap hooks do not come lose. So compressing half way is plenty.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I use a Baxley Sport Chock so I don't have to compress the forks at all. I just tie down the bike and the chock so it won't move side to side and back to front.

K

·
0 Posts
i trailered across the country for 4 days and no problems with a very compressed suspension.

Just giving my limited experience. i bought built racing forks soon there after just because they were available.

·
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone
4,495 Posts
I traveled to FL for 24 hours with full compressed suspension and no problems...but I never even thought about it

·
19,904 Posts
Just because u did it once and had no problems doesn't mean its ok.

Fact is your putting continued excess pressure on the fork internals when u do this over a long time. Especially when u squeeze em all the way down.

Think of it this way...you're shortening the service interval for your forks.

·
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone
4,495 Posts
Yeeah i never said it was the right way. But now i know better. Service interval of my forks is ZERO so far lol for 25k miles. Im attempting to rebuild em now though.

·
19,904 Posts
I've got just under 19k miles on my 04, and I bought her with 5400 on her.

Right now I can feel the difference and know my forks NEED servicing, they feel like wood right now.

I'm done riding her from now till the rebiuld 2.0 is complete, or atleast, the major work.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
just release the straps enough so the bike will stay up on its own whenever the bike isnt moving. ie: overnight. and u really dont have to compress the suspension that much. just enough so its solid. u definitely dont want to bottom em out on a trailer. ur fork seals will start leakin from all the pressure.

too bad these bikes dont have the bleed valve on the top of the forks like the MX bikes do. once u strap the bike down u bleed out the excess air to keep the seals from leakin. its very handy.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I trailered my bikes to track days for years with the forks fully compressed, including overnight and never had a problem or a blown fork seal. I've since stopped doing it on recommendation from others. I leave em loose overnight and then compress halfway to trailer, then immediately loosen them when I get where I'm going.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i use wheel chocks to avoid having to over tighten the bike straps. They only cost about 20-30 bucks from cyclegear and take approximately 5 mins to install usually once the straps are taught I only give it two cranks, then just pull the rear as tight as I can (i don't use ratchet straps for the rear). check them when you stop for gas :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
The seals can sustain that pressure no problem, and it wont lower their life. They only wear from how many cycles they go through (sliding over your forks).

·
Registered
75 Posts
^^I'm with this guy, I would tend to agree that if you compress them once and keep them compressed it will be far better than compressing them, releasing them overnight, compressing them the next morning.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts