Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I just moved to Michigan again after being in Virginia for over 2 years. Currently going to school on my GI Bill. I drive a Ford focus and I want to get to the track out here. The only issue I'm having is towing this SOB. I've seen Mazda Mitats tow their bikes to the track and I wondering whats a good set up for actually towing the bike? What size Trailer would I need and all of that jazz to make it actually work with my tiny focus.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Harbor Freight sells a basic trailer that fits two bikes, you can buy the Pitbull trailering set up (very nice) or just stick to a wheel chock and tie downs. The pitbull can't come loose ;).

Uhaul locations can recommend a body shop or similar to get you a trailer hitch installed. I thought the Focus had a factory option tow hitch? You might be able to use that mount point.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
I tow my bike with my Honda Fit, so no worries there (a reasonable trailer and bike is like 600-800 pounds, which is like having three fat passengers.)

You'll need a hitch attached to your car; pretty common. It'll be the smallest one, a Class 1. And also wiring, which usually comes in the form of a kit that either plugs in or crimps in, both ways are fine.

Trailer Hitches & Vehicle Accessories (800)298-8924 is a good place to start for most of this stuff.

Once you have that on your car, you have your choice of trailers. The limiting factor is more your brakes than your engine, but still, an enclosed trailer is probably too big, so stick to open trailers. Go to your local craigslist and search for trailers in the motorcycle section to get an idea of what people are using to haul bikes around.

·
Registered
18 Posts
U-haul also rents motorcycle trailers in some areas for $15/day. They've got a built in wheel chock, 6 tie down points, plenty of extra room for stands, gas, tools, coolers, etc., and the back drops down and is a very easy ramp to get the bike up. I've rented one twice now as I don't have room to store a trailer (yet), and its been great to pull with my Subaru. At the last track day I went to there was someone towing the same trailer with their Focus ST and it didn't sound like he had any problems with it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
U-haul also rents motorcycle trailers in some areas for $15/day. They've got a built in wheel chock, 6 tie down points, plenty of extra room for stands, gas, tools, coolers, etc., and the back drops down and is a very easy ramp to get the bike up. I've rented one twice now as I don't have room to store a trailer (yet), and its been great to pull with my Subaru. At the last track day I went to there was someone towing the same trailer with their Focus ST and it didn't sound like he had any problems with it.
UHaul trailers are too heavy to tow, they are about 600 lbs without a bike. I've got the hitch, but I think ill go with the HF Trailer and a hitch and just try to make it that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts