Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, it's hard to explain. When I roll my bike and it is in gear w/ the clutch engage it rolls fine for about 6 inches and then bogs on something. It feels like someone put a rag on the chain. I have checked the front wheel and chain and it is neither of them. It does not do it in neutral with the clutch disengaged or engaged. It is definitely from the rear wheel and is on when in gear. I did lowside last time I rode, but it wasn't that serious. The bike will still roll it just takes about twice the effort to push it.

Any suggestions that suggest expensive repairs will be shot down immediately.

·
Registered
492 Posts
could it be the motor and not the tranny? ie. Loss of power or a misfire. engine not running right?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, the motor is not running when it happens. But, I did some more troubleshooting and realized the clutch is not disengaging. I lowsided on the clutch cover side. What could have happened?

I know b/c I tried to start it with the clutch engaged and the bike jumped forward very slightly.

·
Registered
492 Posts
try adjusting your clutch cable. I never took apart the clutch packs in a bike, so i dont really know what could have happened inside.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried that first thing, nothing. The engagement point of the clutch would change, but it would still jump when started and have the tension when pushed.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You could have bent the clutch lever down on the case, or theres a possibility when it lowsided, that it hit hard and fast enough that the clutch arm slipped, or jumped a couple splines on the shaft, I havent looked but sometimes there splined instead of a one-piece design. Does the clutch cover have any signs of contact with the pavement? If it does, then you might have cracked the case on the inside where the clutch release shaft is held in place, you may not see it from the outside. It has to do with the clutch since if it were something with the trans. or rear end, you would have the problem when the bike was in nuetral also.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the clutch cover hit pretty good. I don't think the lever touched ground. I am printing off the service manual now. I guess the only thing to do is pull the clutch cover and see for myself. this sux

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
well your scrapes are on the timing hole part of the case, not really the clutch. although you might have bent the case in enough to put outside pressure on the clutch itself, not allowing it to fully disengage.

i would check to see if your rear rotor isn't bent, and that's what's causing the dragging. not that i'm saying it might not be the clutch, but i'm leaning more towards the rear rotor being the culprit of it dragging. clutch just needs fine tuning.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well, I actually think it is the clutch. Here is why
-It does not do it in neutral
-it moves freely for about 6 inches, if the rotor was being rubbed it would not move at all
-the bike jumps when started

The clutch has been adjusted all the way both ways and it engages at different points, but still jumps when started.

Manual says if clutch will not disengage or moto creeps with clutch disengaged
-clutch plate warped
-loose clutch center lock nut
-oil level too high
-improper oil vis.
-damaged clutch lifter mechanism
-clutch lifter piece installed improperly

Maybe the starter clutch is damaged?

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
that's weird, might have broken or cracked a plate in the clutch. it's hard to tell with out actually looking at it.
if you do your own work, i'd pull that cover off and take a look. if not, make an appointment at your dealer.
that's gonna be a hard one to diagnose over the net.

it's never a bad idea to get a second opinion, and i'm kinda stumped at the moment.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will be doing my own work. I will probably start tomorrow. I will give you guys a progress report. I did a lot of work on an old F4 of mine including replacing timing chain, CCT, and replaces 2 bent valves all by using the book.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Is it jumping in nuetral also, with the clutch pulled in? If it is, its definetly not disengaging the clutch. I think its the pressure plate....

I just looked at a microfiche at www.servicehonda.com and that round cap in the case with the hex head on it, covers the starter clutch. You also have a crank sensor that reads off the outer surface of the starter clutch. One of those could be binding or bent. A sensor usually will shatter in a case like this, but you never know. Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts