Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first post here. Looking for someone who knows these bikes well to give me their opinion on something.

Background
2008 CBR600RR
Bought the bike almost 2 years ago. It had 300 miles on it, having sat in a garage for almost 10 years untouched. It was, as still is, in like new condition. I have almost 5,000 on it now. Mostly street riding, and a few track days. One of those track days I had a crunchy downshift from 2nd to first where I missed first and when I went from neutral to first sounded pretty rough. Everything seemed to be fine, I have been riding the bike without issue.

The bike runs, rides, shifts, etc just fine.

I was warming the engine up today prior to draining oil and while sitting next to the bike for a few minutes I picked up on some noise, which sounded like something solid getting kicked around in the bottom end. So, after draining the oil I pulled the clutch side engine cover off to take a peek.

There is nothing in the oil that came out. No shavings or chunks. That said, I got some pictures of the one row of gears that can be seen from the right side of the engine, and the gears appear to be notched at the end.

I have rebuilt the bottom end of my dirt bike and the gears never showed any kind of wear like this. To me, it indicates that my suspicion of the noise may have been correct and there is a chunk of metal kicking around in there and the gears are getting chewed up by it.

Opinions???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone pulled the sump off without removing the header??

Hard to tell if there is enough clearance. Looks like I can get to all the bolts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
those notches are very consistent. makes me wonder if they are there for a reason. the two inner gears have identical notches.

maybe i am hearing ghosts

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I think your ghosting.....?
OTF, haven't seen a bad transmission thread.

N to 1st shift is clunky unless you're rolling, downshifting from 2nd-N-1st is always a fine test of rev match/shift coordination.

I don't use 1st much, and am always at low revs and moving slowly when going 2nd-N-1st. I've had some "crunchy" downshifts in these gears on my '09, I blame it on lack of focus and practice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is what I have been thinking. The grooves are too perfect to be damage. Holding oil, or a passage for oil to squeeze out, makes sense.

Yea downshift from 2nd to 1st at 45 is not like coasting to a stop in traffic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts