Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While downshifting, my transmission sometimes seems to get stuck in no mans land! Meaning, it sits "in between" the gears and takes repeaded clutch engagement to get it in to gear. This happens most often while gearing down for a stop light. It doesn't happen all of the time but it does happen enough to piss me off.

Does anyone else have this concern?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It wouldn't happen to be between 1st and 2nd would it?
Yes, while downshifting. I just called the dealership and they said that I must let the clutch out at least enough to engage the gears between EACH gear downshift. I have been pulling in the clutch and downshifting 2, 3 or even four gears at one time, with only pulling teh clutch in once. They say I have to pull and release the clutch between each gear downshift.

Does this make sense?

·
Registered
344 Posts
yes - even since it's a sequential gearbox i haven't released the clutch after each gear downshift, but yes i've had the rare occurance of no load applied between gears (not neutral).

Just depress and release the clutch again if this happens - i never even thought to post up about it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
yeah my bike does it too, its normal. you just have to let the clutch out if your going down more than 1 gear at a slow speed (like 5th gear pulling up to a stoplight). I'm not sure why it is but thats just how it works.

You really shouldn't have to do it all that often though because you should downshift as you approach the light. I only due it when im coming to a quick stop at a yellow.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah my bike does it too, its normal. you just have to let the clutch out if your going down more than 1 gear at a slow speed (like 5th gear pulling up to a stoplight). I'm not sure why it is but thats just how it works.

You really shouldn't have to do it all that often though because you should downshift as you approach the light. I only due it when im coming to a quick stop at a yellow.
I will, from this point on, downshift correctly then. I wonder, if pulling teh clutch in so often to downshift, does this wear it our sooner?????

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Yeah, its called a False Neutral situation. Just about every bike Ive had except for my CRF70 has done it at some point or another. 1-2 is common and 5-6. You can adjust the shifter rod to utilize your foots natural travel... some what. Not to worry, it happens.

I have noticed it happens more often when its about time to change my oil. Fresh synth and its back to butter.

Also, clutchless shifting almost eliminates the problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clutchless shifting? I know I'm a NOOB but how does one go about shifting without the clutch?

·
Registered
122 Posts
clutchless shifiting is possible, you need to get to know when your bike likes to shift with ease. now that point at where it will shift in the rpm will change as you go up in gears. Lets say its about 7,000 rpms in gears 1-2-3 and about 8,500 in gears 4-5-6. to perform the clutchless shift simply roll off the throttle as you upshift and then rollback on the throttle. it WILL take practice, its just like a semi, i only use the clutch to start and stop. good luck

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Clutchless shifting? I know I'm a NOOB but how does one go about shifting without the clutch?
Hold on... one step at a time. your downshifting needs to be done while the bike is moving and with the clutch.

you foot shifter only shifts the bike half way... then a spring loaded arm in the motor finishes the shift when the 2 gears that are going together are lined up. If the gears aren't lined up (which most of the time they aren't) the tranny has to spin until they do. Either by the bike still moving or letting out the clutch a little. If you shift while the bike is moving... the gears will line up in a fraction of a second and you won't ever notice. Shifting while stopped... they won't line up till you spin the tranny a little ( letting out the clutch)

I know you didn't want a 5 page explination but knowing how something works helps me to use it better.

One more thing... I've seen more than I wanted to see out here in Cali but I have to ask. Your avatar... is that a guy and a girl or two guys? I can't tell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts