Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be putting 250 to 300 miles on my bike on sat. and I am concerned about the tread wear that is left on my rear tire. I am no wizard when it comes to this stuff so I am asking for advice from others. Is there enough tread left on my tire to make it safely there and back, it is most all highway road and speed.

Thanks.
Jason

PS: I have a new set of Pilot Powers that will be going on the bike as soon as I get back from the trip... My main concern is being safe in the meantime as I know I will be driving off and on at a high rate of speed.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
From the pics, you should be fine. The wear bars are starting to show, and that is to give you an indication of your tread life. I would ride on them for a 250-300 mile trip, but that's me. Let your riding concience be your guide. Based on your riding style, ability, and the route with which you are going to take, do you need fresh rubber, or will those do the job? For what it's worth, nothing as of yet has compared to the thrill of Pilot Power's mounted on the RR.

·
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I am going to see if there is anyway I can get the Piolet Powers on tomorrow since they are sitting here at the house ready to go. The problem is I am going to need the dealer to take the rims off the bike and back on since I will not have time... I have a feeling that is going to cost me $$$. What do you think I should exspect to pay for a job as such?

If I can wait till I get back from my trip, I will have time to just take the rims there, otherwise I am stuck taking the bike.

The tires are down to the wear bars but not past them as you can see there is still tread on the tires. Mostly flat in the center with enough rubber on the outsides still.

Jason

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know those look low, and in all honesty they are. But unless you are doing burnouts you will be fine. I can't tell for sure but it doesn't even look like its hit the wear marker yet... and they'll be fine for a bit after that.

If you were showing threads then I'd be worried. The only thing I'd be concerned about is look for any signs of cracking, and make sure you check all the way around as tires wear unevenly. I've worn 2 sets of tires to the threads and basically what happens is this.

Once your out of tread and officially bald (still a ways from your tires), you have anywhere from 100-200 Kilometers on powers before your tires will start showing what looks like sideways cracks that run across the tire. Its very obvious and it looks like someone cut small rough ridges across the width of your tire. After that you probably have another 100 before the first sign of threads.

So basically I personally think your good to go with a few hundred extra miles to spare on those at least.

But some notes just to be safe

Once your tire is bald, you'll notice the handling gets worse in the rain. Cornering will be fine because of side tread, but accel could cause the back tire to spin with a lot less effort then normal.

Cracking along the width of the tire means time for a new tire :).

Threads showing (very obvious, they will be white threads) means you better get it in asap, if you BAREDLy have threads showing you can baby it to where it needs to go for a short distance.

Just check to make sure it hasn't started cracking anywhere, and check periodically to know if you'll have to baby it home, but I highly doubt it'll even get to that point.

Tear it up, and make sure you smoke that sucker good before you put on the new one =)

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
your good to go, i got less tread than that now on my 208's. in fact mine are bald in the center and squared off as all hell. i got new Pilot Race skins ready to go on, but i figure i got 2 more weekends of riding left in them..... or 1 smokey burnout.

if you take the bike in to get them swapped, your lookin at prolly a bill to get it done. prolly bout half that if you just take the rims.

·
Registered
192 Posts
depending on the stealership it could cost well over 100 bucks. last time i took them my rear and they still charged 50-70 bucks.
i's ride those tires too, but its the front i'd be looking closer at.

·
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok... So it sounds like if it rains to take it easy (which I do anyway), otherwise I should be fine. I know there are no cracks in the tires and no sign of the belts. The front is in more or less perfect shape, nothing for me to worry about.

I just know I am going to be hitting speeds over 100 that day and want to keep my a$$... Well as safe as I can be at those speeds. =]

Thanks again to everyone that posted so far... Help put my mind at ez alittle.

Jason

·
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well there maybe a shower that rolls through but otherwise it looks to be a rain free day. The thing that really sucks is I just called the dealer and they will take off the old tires and put the new ones on for $50 bucks! I was really suprised and thought that was a great deal! He said if the rims are off he could do them for $25 but I just don't know if I will have time to do that since I have never done it before... Oh the thing with the dealer is he is booked to take them off and will not have time to do so today. =[

Oh well, I can only blame myself for waiting till the last minute to do things.

Jason

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Well if time is a factor then I would say let the dealer do it for you this time. You don't want to be rushing through your first time and get the bushings on the wrong side of the rim or forget to grease the axle. But you should learn to do this yourself. Just remember to take the front tire off first so the weight of the rear tire will hold the front up for you.

·
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got both a front and a rear stands so no worries. I think I am going to drop them myself and then I got a friend stopping by to help me put them back on. I figure I can get them off myself and there is no rush to get them back on, plus my friend has done it before on his bike... Not a 600RR but still a Honda and I am sure all the same.

What do I need to buy, grease or something, anything else?

Any tips for removing the rims since I will be doing it myself?

Any tips for putting them back on?

Thanks.

Jason

1 - 11 of 11 Posts