Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i was riding my wife around on the bike when i thought she might be interested in driving....so i asked. she was like, no, well, how hard is it....i knew she wanted to. so, we both managed to squeeze onto the driver seat and i was trying to help her launch. she took forever trying to let the clutch out too slow and my fear came true....she leaned left when we got off balance and i leaned right(like i told her to do), the problem is, im 5'10 and shes 5'3, so she can't really reach the ground and i can barely from that far back on the seat, so, the bike went down. didn't get a single scratch anywhere though, so i was pretty stoked about that. any of you ever try to teach the old lady? if so, howd you do it? she's been on 4 wheelers and dirt bikes, so she knows how to clutch and shift and what not, but im scared to stand beside her and let her ride off(like circles in a parking lot). im not sure if she can hanle that. and i know its a lot harder for her with me on the back.....any suggestions? OTHER THAN BUY A BEATER FOR HER TO LEARN ON

·
Registered
595 Posts
hate to say it, but buy a 250 or a 500, then sell it if she hates riding. If you care about your bike, strip it of all plastic and put frame sliders on. then teach her. keep her away from light posts, telephone poles, and traffic. keep her away from walls and curbs.

Teach her the basics the way you learn them in MSF. walk with the bike. push her with the bike turned off, then do the clutch slipping lesson where you slip the clutch until it pulls a little and the squeeze it again. then start releasing the cluth and walking the bike. then practice riding and braking, then practice shifting, then turning.

I learned to ride on an ex500 with my brother on the back, but I can't say that that would be a good idea if she can't hold up the bike with just herself on it. it would be harder for both of you with you squeezed on one seat like that.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i think she can hold it up fine by herself, and like i said, she's been on dirt bikes so she knows the clutch and brake routine, i just don't know if she's big enough to ride the bike.....and i would teach her in a HUGE parking lot and walk with her.....i figure its gonna be impossible with me on the bike!

·
Registered
595 Posts
yes, do not sit on the bike with her. that adds another couple hundred pounds to the bike. unless she is a muchkin, she is big enough to ride the bike, but is she capable enough is the question. I'm sure that there are plenty of people around this site that are her size or smaller that can ride it just fine.

Good luck and I hope that she gets the hang of it...i had the worst time trying to teach my wife how to snowboard. The whole experience sucked, but it is worth it now that she can keep up with me on snowboarding trips.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hahahah, i know how bad it can be to teach someone to snowboard, especially a woman, they wanna give up in like 20 minutes!

·
Registered
496 Posts
My wife made it to the end of the driveway and quit. She doer great on my dirtbike and fourwheelers but hates the bike. :roll:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'd send her to the MSF course if you don't want to buy a beater. Someone else's 250 to learn on for a couple days? How cool is that. After that she should be safe to take the RR up and down the street if she wants. As cheap as the MSF course is, it's a great introduction to motorcycles.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how cheap is it exactly? any link to find where it might be offered in my area? im not even sure how interested in it she is.....

·
Registered
223 Posts
In my area its about $75 but if your with Honda Riders of America they will remburse you for that course

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
good reply JonRR... :thumbup: that's exactly what i was going to suggest.

that's would be your best bet jeffz32tt. for under $100 she can have a two day exposure to riding and if she likes it and is good enough to pass the course, she'll have a license to boot (depending on your state). then you can try to find a bike that will fit her, instead of finding some junker for her to learn on, beat up, and out grow within six months...

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
Yeah, send her to MSF if you want her to learn well...the Honda web site has the site listed somewhere... Good luck getting here comfortable enough to ride...just get a good pair of frame sliders before you get too serious if you really don't wanna set her up with the MSF.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
"....how hard is it.....trying to launch her.....i knew she wanted to....how do you do it?.....a lot harder for her with me on the back..."

Sounds kinky!! :bounce: Maybe I read into that a little too much.

Sorry about the bike bro.

X

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
xphile said:
"....how hard is it.....trying to launch her.....i knew she wanted to....how do you do it?.....a lot harder for her with me on the back..."

Sounds kinky!! :bounce: Maybe I read into that a little too much.

Sorry about the bike bro.

X
LOL. good one, very creative.

thanks for all the suggestions guys, ill see what i can do. thankfully the bike didn't have a single scuff on it. and do you guys know of any frame sliders that can be installed without any cutting?

·
Registered
22 Posts
have to say am amazed that any tom, **** or harry can just buy a bike without having to learn the basics as compulsory over there. (i'm from the land down under), let alone without a limit to available power-to-weight ratio... sure that'd suck after you get use to it but at least there's a getting use to as oppose to getting severely injured/losing interest in riding/dying...

sorry 2 in the morning here as am typing should be in bed...excuse the slightly incomprehensible post.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
grinch said:
have to say am amazed that any tom, d**k or harry can just buy a bike without having to learn the basics as compulsory over there. (i'm from the land down under), let alone without a limit to available power-to-weight ratio... sure that'd suck after you get use to it but at least there's a getting use to as oppose to getting severely injured/losing interest in riding/dying...

sorry 2 in the morning here as am typing should be in bed...excuse the slightly incomprehensible post.
LOL, wtf are you talking about? i have plenty of experience, we are talking about teaching my wife to ride. maybe i just can't comprehend your early morning post!

·
Registered
22 Posts
jeffz32tt said:
grinch said:
have to say am amazed that any tom, d**k or harry can just buy a bike without having to learn the basics as compulsory over there. (i'm from the land down under), let alone without a limit to available power-to-weight ratio... sure that'd suck after you get use to it but at least there's a getting use to as oppose to getting severely injured/losing interest in riding/dying...

LOL, wtf are you talking about? i have plenty of experience, we are talking about teaching my wife to ride. maybe i just can't comprehend your early morning post!

sorry my bad, wasn't referring to you specifically.
mostly referring to the recent post i've read saying "bought my first bike today, a cbr600rr..."
:oops: :oops:

cheers, mate. wasn't trying to be smart.

btw good luck with getting the wife learing to ride :thumbup:
and to echo what everyone else has said - get her to a msf course.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts