Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i've had a couple people ask me to reveiw the 675 and 600RR comparison Qs. so we'll start with basics:

Specs:
if you haven't seen the press hype or the reviews in SR, RRW, Motorcyclist, etc., the 675 is triumphs new middleweight entry. it has a 675cc, 124 crank hp inline triple. for more than that, go buy the mag. :laughing1

On the Street:
the clip-ons are angled down a bit more from the 600RR, and its much taller, feels like an inch or so. the height is practiaclly negated by the fact its so narrow at the waist. to quantify that, its almost like a 999, seriously. its THAT skinny. the stock Pirelli Dragon Supercorsas are fantastic. the only stock tires i would actually put on the track (besides the 999's pilot powers and the 999r's pilot races). this is easily the best rubber available on a middle weight. Presumably due to the clip on angle, it does tend to put more weight on your wrists. the reach to the bars is about the same.

amenities on the bike are far and away the best. it comes with a 99 lap timer, tells you your highest speed reached, mpg, and average speed. it also keeps track of riding time, has a gear indicator, and programmable shift lights. the 7 lights are connected in percentages to the shift point you choose. the first 4 come on progessively as you get closer to your chosen max rpm, then the last 3 come on simultaneuosly.

the suspension is typical 600 stuff with one major drawback: rear preload IS NOT adjustable. that just sucks. lots of 675 riders will be plunking down for rear shocks. all other normal adjustments are there.

On the Track
*originally posted on triumph675.net* (by me)
my own personal thoughts can be summed up as follows:

WHY ISN'T TRIUMPH RACING THIS BIKE?!!

of course alot of the stuff i'll comment on will be standard issue on race bikes, but:

1.) the brakes are fantastic. the 675 has full on 2 finger brakes. i was using one occasionally. the initial bite is great and they're very progressive with good feedback.

2.) [notably, the 675 doesn't have a slipper. it has a back torque limiting clutch, which does the same thing, only differently. you would find the same style clutch housed in the K5s tranny case as well.] the clutch works phenomnenally as well. i got no rear hop, even when downshifting under hard braking.

3.) its very reponsive, easy to steer with the pegs. almost R6 agility, almost honda stability. the stock pirellis are confidence inspiring and provide excellent feedback at all lean angles. i low sided my honda on cold stock tires (crappy dunlop 218s) and i was initially afraid of putting stock tires on the track. i was pleasantly surprised.

4.) i think it has as much top end as a 4 cyl. coming out of the 14 dogleg, i tracked down an R1 in the front straight. i was on a better line than he was thru the turn, and you could attribute it to the R1 rider, but still, +60 hp covers alot of mistakes. but, just to be balanced, i got blistered by a K5 out of the same turn under almost identical circumstances, so i didn't get cocky. i did catch and pass the K5 in the twisties, however.

5.) the lap timer is useless. very very useless, and downright dangerous.

all in all, i don' think its the track bike that the new R6 is. that having been said, this bike kicks ass and i will have it all over the track all summer. its will easily hold its own with any 600 thru '05. the midrange stomps all over 4 cyls in tight sections. throttle control is easier since the rpms can be kept around 10K and still have plenty of get up on the exits. the 675 may be the most underrated track bike ever produced.

Now the good part: hows it compare to the 600RR?
this is entirely my opinion posted by others request; please don't flame me or think i'm knocking anyone's bike. :tomato: I'm sure people will disagree, and thats cool with me.

the 600RR is more stable midcorner. even with the stock steering damper, i don't think the 675 can touch hondas stongest point. the front end feedback of the 600RR is prolly superior as well; IMHO dampers tend to mute that on stock forks.

engine wise, hondas is behind the 8-ball. the 675 midrange would stomp all over it. up top, the 675 redlines at 14-ish and gets there quick. any top end advantage the honda might offer is slight. IMHO, HRC engine kits and what not would make it worse when comparing to a comparably modified 675 on the street. in full race trim, the peak hp advantage would prolly slide back into hondas column, but there is no making up the midrange.

the skinnier 675 is easier for me to flip from side to slde, and knowing you have a steering damper to back you up made me more aggressive. the undertail exhaust would raise the Center of Gravity on both bikes. toss in a taller seat height on the 675 (theoretically, at least) and you have a less stable, more agile machine. never once did the front end feel like it wanted to tuck as i was clumsily trail braking. the brakes on the 675 offer superb initial bite, and are more progressive. less lever action for the same stopping power. not so much bite that i found it intimidating tho.

trannys are also not really close. the 675's shifter offers almost-honda like solid feel. the fact that the 675 has the back torque limiting clutch is what makes it no contest. zero wheel hop, no lock ups on the triumph. ever. even another guy on a ZX-6RR, which has a slipper, was impressed because whenever he downshifted, you could hear his rear tire chirp.

the tires aren't even a comparison. not even close. at least honda put diablo corsas on the new 1000RR.

to be fair to honda, the 675 is a newer bike, and there is no lag time in modern sportbike development. and the triumphs strongest points could easily be attributed to the equipment difference. it does come with stainless steel brake lines, a steering damper, and the 07 RR might have a slipper (i'm thinking no judging by the 06 1000RR, but i digress). a comparably upgraded 600RR would easily fix these things.

but the 675 already has it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
one quick other point:

i've had several people tell me, "its a 675cc. i expect better hp numbers."

well thats not really a valid argument, although AMA and WSS did decline to let it race in supersport. the fact thats its a triple changes everything. if it was a 4 cyl, then ok, its cheating. the 749cc ducati is supersport legal, and the triumph splits the cyl count difference and the displacement difference. the point is, its a fair comparison. its not an outrightly bigger engine, like the 650 was last year. and wera agrees with me:

C SUPERSTOCK EXPERT & NOVICE and C SUPERBIKE EXPERT & NOVICE
Up to 650cc 4-stroke multis
Up to 675cc 4-stroke triples
Up to 1200cc 4-stroke air-cooled twins
Up to 800cc 4-stroke water-cooled twins
Up to 550cc 2-stroke multis
Unlimited singles

of course, going by that, the 636 is also a fair comparison, so i guess i hafta to back off of that now if i'm going to use thier rule book for evidence. :laughing1

·
Registered
192 Posts
F* you honda basher!! haha just kidding, great write up, those bikes are definetly awsome.. I'm considering getting one as well.. Thanks for taking your time!
Shade-

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
That was real interesting. The 07 675 and the 07 RR are the two bikes I will be deciding between this year. All info helps. What do you like for the street between the two? Also did you see pirces?

·
C.A.H.N founder / President
11,188 Posts
I really like the the 675. I read about it in the Motor Cyclist mag. If my RR got gone now I would highly consider one of 675's. Those thing are very narrow the guy in the mag actually laid it down and you can see it from the bottom how narrow the whole thing is. I use to think I would go with the R6 if I got away from Honda but I really like this one. We'll seee what happens in 07 with Honda. In all honesty I don't see myself leaving Honda.

·
Registered
356 Posts
im in the market for a new bike an im really considering buyin a triumph! but im probably buy a honda just cause there are more mods you can to do them.

·
Registered
344 Posts
nice write up. If i were considering a new bike next year it will definitely be between the '07 600RR and the '07 675. I do love the sound, appearance, style, and performance of the 675.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
skittzo said:
WHY ISN'T TRIUMPH RACING THIS BIKE?!!

The lap timer is useless. very very useless, and downright dangerous.
1) Because it fits into neither a professional, nor club level category. Designated non-supersport and too small to compete in the 750/F1 classes. A shame, because it'd do well in the 600 class.

2) Then why do they bother??? Same with the kwacker. If manf's are going to put a timer on a bike, just do it already and make it Mychron/XT compliant! Is it that friggen hard???

·
Registered
454 Posts
Okay I dont like the 675, Triumph reminds me of the little engine that couldn't..

Triumph has always tried to put out a bike that will run in the sport bike class, but even with their dashing good looks and all that other crap, Triumphs have ALWAYS had problems. Take for instance. No one here Where I live wants to work on them!!!

Just about everything on the Triumph is good. Stainless steel lines can be bought, dampers can be bought and tires, who cares about what stock tires are. I sold mine the minute I got my bike in favor of Dunlop Qualifiers.

I rode one and I am impressed. But Triumph is plauged with reliability issues, always have been and always will. They do offer a 2 year warranty standard, which is better than all the others. I want to like to it, but I refuse to like it only cause Triumph made it!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Because it fits into neither a professional, nor club level category. Designated non-supersport and too small to compete in the 750/F1 classes. A shame, because it'd do well in the 600 class.
it fits into wera's C Superstock/Superbike class. not at all surprised at ama or wss.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Because it fits into neither a professional, nor club level category. Designated non-supersport and too small to compete in the 750/F1 classes. A shame, because it'd do well in the 600 class.
it fits into wera's C Superstock/Superbike class. (See 2nd post) A Triumph dealership in GA will be fielding a race team there. I don't know about CCS or the other organizations. not at all surprised at ama or wss. it is british supersport legal and is being raced there by Christian Elkin. Its approved for superstock and supersport on the australian circuit, and is being raced there by paul young. its also racing in the Bridgestone SS600 Short Circuit Championship, by AJ Hutchinson and Richie Kiely.

There are plenty of places to race this bike.

·
Registered
279 Posts
then why does the rear shock have the adjustable spanners? i have not seen the manual, but it sure has adjustable threaded collars on the shock body. not trying to be a smart ass, just saw the threaded body like all other shocks like that. sure would,nt imagine why they would build it as a current sportbike without fully adjustable suspension. nice bike, can't wait to ride one. my local dealer will have a demo in a couple of weeks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts