Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't like riding two up. I do not advertise that I have a bike, unless it comes up in a conversation. Due to the fact, that most girls, comments on how dangerous it is, followed up by I can never own a bike, followed by can you take me for a ride.
Last night I got suckered into it. She has been a passanger before, so I figured I can skip the safety, what to do type stuff lecture. We went for a ride south on PCH, stopped off at a look out place to talk, headed back taking the 73 toll road. The 55 onramp south curves into a circle with the speed posting 25mph. I was going at the usual speed, but I did not compensate for the extra weight (I did stiffen up the suspension). To make it worst I was at a lean and she wasn't (she held on tight up until now, wtf!). I'm half way through the turn, the suspenion started to compress and release, compress and release. The front end felt a like I was on a Pogo-stick. I'm thinking, this is going to be my first bite in the butt, don't panic, remember your MSF class: slow it down without using the brake. Straighten the bike back up, ride it out. That is exactly what I did. I made our way throught it. I got on the 55 freeway rolled on the throttle a little to releave some of the weight from the front end. And I rode it out. We made it back home safely.
Lessons learned:
Give proper instruction prior to riding
Slow down your normal riding speed
Don't ride two up

(Before I get flamed. Both of us have leather jackets [Teknic, and A * on], proper boots, jeans, she had the old Arai Helmet, I got my OGK.)

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
Yeah, I hate riding 2 up too...I mean, I don't mind when smaller girls ride on the back (Most of the girls I'm friends with are under 5'6") But for WHATEVER reason all the guys I'm friends with are like "dude...give me a ride"...and I really don't like it...I didn't really know what to say when I first got my bike so I was like "uh...ok" but now there's no way...I'm not really sure why some people are like that...if it were me...there'd be no way in hell I would get on the back of a sportbike...that much power and potentially my life in the hands of some one else? FFFFFuck that.

Anyway...sounds like you made it out ok, but it's true, when you are riding 2 up you should definaly take it down a couple notches from the pace you usually ride at.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Damn sounds scary, good thinking though. Way to save it!! I bet she wouldn't have asked for another ride after that!!! Instead of :shakehands: you shoulda been getting a :blow: anyway!!!!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I couldn't get mine setup right at first for 2 up and hated it. My wife is 5ft 105 so she is tiny and you wouldn't think you would notice the weight but jesus did I ever. She has ridden with me on other bikes off and on for more than 5 years so she knows what to do, the RR just didn't like it that much. Once I finnaly got the supsension set for her and myself, she now loves going corner carving with me on the weekends (at a slightly slower pace) and I have to fight to get her off of it lol.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I go 2 up with a friend of mine every now and then with my susp. only set up for my weight. I think its the fact that she has experience from riding passenger plenty of other times on other bikes and sometimes I forget shes behind me. This includes turns. I've given other girls rides and its a lot different with them being unexperienced.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
HAHA.

I was just talking to a guy last night who said he was riding two up when his passenger did the same thing, almost ran then off the road. He stopped, said, "let me see my helmet for just a second," kicked her off the bike and rode away.

I rode with him last night on a GSX-R 750, and he forgot I was there, almost blew a yellow light! I must say the seat on his bike is much more comfortable, but the bike feels heavy and low to the ground :-x

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
+1 for firming up your suspension for 2 up. Makes a world of difference.

You can also use the rear brake A LOT more when riding two up as the extra weight limits the rear wheel lift that causes premature lockup.

The name of the game 2-up is riding smooooooooth. Rolling on/off throttle braking and turn in. Get proficient riding 2-up, then go so what it does for your 1-up skills ;-)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I only take people that weight less then 130lbs. I took a friend that weighed like 150lbs and I though I was going to go down the whole time.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Just do as I did; fit a single seat cowl, and take off the pillion pegs!

Pillions fit into 6 catagories (with apologies to Bike mag)

1. the rodeo. 1 hand on the saddle, the other waving at friends, truckers, anybody. With every bump they lean back feet paddling as they whoop. "OK k d lang, off you get. Now"

2. The reach-around. Late at night a ton twenty, and hands move first to your waist, then unbutton the jeans and grapple with your old chap. Fine, but your mate is a roofer and, hell, his hands are rough.

3. The woodpecker. You can't be any smoother, yet at every junction and throttle off, there is the clunk of colliding helmets. Too relaxed, best stiffen' em up with a couple of minutes of gross stupidity.

4. The gimble. As you both limp around the field picking up bits of fairing, you should take the time to explain the importance of leaning into an 80mph bend...

5. The crouching tiger...hidden brain cell. With 2 steps back and a martial arts high kick, they leap onto the bike with the grace of a sumo wrestler. Be ready

6. Low speed fidget. You've told them, but they still don't get it, thinking it's safer to "get comfy" when your filtering through traffic at 10mph than when you're cruising at 80. "Yes mate, I know it's metallic. One off, you say? No need for that language...."

Sooner or later, you'll get the whole set. So fit a cowl, and ditch the ballast pegs. You'll thank me one day....

·
Registered
581 Posts
I like riding two up with my girlfriend. She knows what to do and how to handle herself in turns and on straight aways. And she doesn't headbutt me when I brake or accelerate either. She's the best! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
209 Posts
It's fun riding two up...it just depends on the passenger. Some just don't get it and can't remember the rules of how to ride as passenger or they are too nervous. So when I get someone like that I just feel like stopping the bike and ditching them on the side of the road...like last night with this one girl while I was riding to the hospital to see my friend.

But when you do get someone who knows the rules and how to be a passenger it's so much fun! :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
T-Rock said:
It's fun riding two up...it just depends on the passenger. Some just don't get it and can't remember the rules of how to ride as passenger or they are too nervous. So when I get someone like that I just feel like stopping the bike and ditching them on the side of the road...like last night with this one girl while I was riding to the hospital to see my friend.

But when you do get someone who knows the rules and how to be a passenger it's so much fun! :)
Okay, I have to admit I kinda like having a girl in the back pressed against me with those nice round plump pairs of... ehh, eyes.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Bravo1 said:
I like riding two up with my girlfriend. She knows what to do and how to handle herself in turns and on straight aways. And she doesn't headbutt me when I brake or accelerate either. She's the best! :mrgreen:
Ditto Mate. The only person i double is my Girlfriend becasue she knows what to do.

·
Registered
45 Posts
ditto, my bike likes a petite chic as an accessory - anyone over 135 doesn't get on it.

I'm surprised dudes want to ride on your bike - I rode bitch twice in my life, and don't plan on doing it again.

Those little girls have more balls than I do - to me, the scariest thing I've ever done is hang on to some other dude while he was going 80. It made me want to puke. I had to fight the urge to just jump off.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts