Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I have read a few threads but can't pinpoint the best place to start troubleshooting.

Bike won't start. Sat in garage for 4-6 months over winter. Added a small amount of seafoam to gas.

When key is in on position headlights do not come on. When kill switch is turned to run position, do not hear fuel pump priming. Battery fully charged and I believe to be good.

After trying to start for an hour, bike started once, ran for 10-15 min, geared up to ride and just before putting into 1st to take off, I turned high beam on which killed bike instantly.

Does this sound like a short? Bad relay or fuses? Rectifier?

Desperately need help. I have limited knowledge on bike mechanics but am good at figuring things out.

Thanks!

gauge lights turn on
fuses ok
battery fully charged with 12V charger
tail light works, horn works
switched fan relay with fuel pump relay, nothing

·
Registered
228 Posts
I know you said you believe your battery is ok, but make sure you KNOW your battery is good. Always rule out the simple things first.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Id start with the battery, put it on a trickle charger and see what happens, you should hear the fuel pump prime everytime you switch the kill switch so you might have a problem with the fuel pump

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I know you said you believe your battery is ok, but make sure you KNOW your battery is good. Always rule out the simple things first.
Solid advice. I tested voltage today, 12.5 volts when key on and it drops to just above 11 volts when I press the starter button.

I know I said I checked relays, but being new to mechanics and very naive, I don't believe I tested them correctly. Just test all 4 slots in each 3 plugs for voltage and this is result:
forward most plug: no voltage in all 4 slots (i'm assuming 1 or 2 are grounds?)
middle plug: 12.5 volts in one slot and nothing in rest
rear most plug: 12.5 volts in one, 11.8 volts in another, remaining two nothing

(all 3 of these plugs with 4 wires going into each say '12v 20a' on front)
Does this give anyone some ideas on what may be wrong?

Attachments

·
Registered
829 Posts
You need to get your battery load tested. You either have to have a multi-meter that has that function built into it, or get a separate device. A battery that is on it's way out can still read normal voltages for short period of time.

·
Registered
126 Posts
similar thing happed to my bike had problems starting and battery was somewhat new but since bike sat for many months it drained, after charging it overnight it was fine and bike started again no problem, but next day same thing happened,got a new battery and solved the problem(i get them on ebay around $30, use it for a year and get a new one next year).
You got your bike started so thats a good sign you dont have any serious problem.
Also check on rectifier and stator)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You need to get your battery load tested. You either have to have a multi-meter that has that function built into it, or get a separate device. A battery that is on it's way out can still read normal voltages for short period of time.
Will do that now. So, even though it put out decent voltage and didn't fire up, the battery could still be culprit?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
similar thing happed to my bike had problems starting and battery was somewhat new but since bike sat for many months it drained, after charging it overnight it was fine and bike started again no problem, but next day same thing happened,got a new battery and solved the problem(i get them on ebay around $30, use it for a year and get a new one next year).
You got your bike started so thats a good sign you dont have any serious problem.
Also check on rectifier and stator)
At least you could continuously get it started after a charge. Mine won't start whatsoever, even with a good charge (according to my multimeter).

I understand that I may not have the best battery until I know for sure from a load test, but it is currently putting out the right voltage to start my bike but it doesn't start. Doesn't this rule out battery?

·
Registered
829 Posts
You have a lot of things going on, so it's hard to sort through the issues to find what problems are related.

With kill switch in the run position, when you turn the key on, do you hear the fuel pump prime? If not, press on your kill switch and move your finger around and listen for the fuel pump. Kill switches connectors get old and stop completing the circuit after a while.

If that doesn't do anything, I'd be checking for a short somewhere based on your high beams not coming on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You have a lot of things going on, so it's hard to sort through the issues to find what problems are related.

With kill switch in the run position, when you turn the key on, do you hear the fuel pump prime? If not, press on your kill switch and move your finger around and listen for the fuel pump. Kill switches connectors get old and stop completing the circuit after a while.

If that doesn't do anything, I'd be checking for a short somewhere based on your high beams not coming on.
Thanks for helping me. No I don't hear fuel pump. And, not only does my high beam come on, my regular headlight doesn't either. I'll check connections on kill switch next time I get some free time. Actually enjoying this, sucks my bike doesn't work but I knew nothing about it until I started dealing with this and reading thread after thread. Still trying to put all the pieces together in my head though of how a bike works.

·
Registered
92 Posts
do a continuity test on the tip sensor, get a multimeter if you don't already have one. from memory the 3 relays should all be the same, if you suspect the fuel pump relay is faulty, swap it with the other relays and see how it goes.

gl in your search! eletrical gremlins are the worst to diagnose!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts