Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '07 that I bought Brand New a year and a half ago. Has 6k on it and I'm having trouble starting it. It has been sitting in my garage for the past couple of weeks. Tried to start it and it turns over but keeps spinning. Can smell raw fuel. I put a 1AMP Trickle Charger on it last night. Went to try again this morning and it still just turns over with no start. Was wondering if I need to keep the charger on it a couple of days and then try? Also, if it's flooded, how long should it sit before I should try again. My last resort is to have it towed to the dealership. It's totally stock. No Mod's other than the Brake Handles, (ASV's). Any ideas welcome. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
If it's a mechanical issue, sounds like the plugs. Everything seems ok. If you're smelling fuel then everything else in the motor is working other wise the fuel pump wouldn't prime and you wouldn't smell any fuel.

If you think it's flooded, on your '07, you can have the kill switch off and the starter will still run. Turn on the key and turn off the kill switch by the throttle. Hold the throttle wide open and push the start button for a few seconds. This will suck in clean air but will not put and fuel into the motor. Then try to start it like normal.

Also check the air filter. 6K miles isn't too much but if it's been sitting outside, maybe it is wet and not letting any air in.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If it's a mechanical issue, sounds like the plugs. Everything seems ok. If you're smelling fuel then everything else in the motor is working other wise the fuel pump wouldn't prime and you wouldn't smell any fuel.

If you think it's flooded, on your '07, you can have the kill switch off and the starter will still run. Turn on the key and turn off the kill switch by the throttle. Hold the throttle wide open and push the start button for a few seconds. This will suck in clean air but will not put and fuel into the motor. Then try to start it like normal.

Also check the air filter. 6K miles isn't too much but if it's been sitting outside, maybe it is wet and not letting any air in.
^^^Thanks so much. I will give that a shot when I get home tonight. I'm not that technical when it comes to spark plugs and such. In other words... I don't want to mess with them cuz I don't have any idea what to do there. So, I will try with the Kill Switch OFF opening up the Throttle all the way and running the Starter for a few sec's. Then, try and start it the Normal way. I'm hoping it's just Flooded.

Thx!

Oh, and my bike is always in my garage. I never let it sit outside.

·
Registered
106 Posts
good luck, sounds like it might be something stupid like the plugs or low batt. If you let it sit for months you should put some fuel stabilizer in it. the s*** fuel they use these days gums up quick.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will certainly let you know how it goes. I work late tonight. So, most likely I will know by tomorrow. I will have left the Trickle Charger on there for a long time by then. And hopefully it will start. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much "dcope17" !!! It started after about 4 or 5 attempts doing the Throttle open technique. It was very flooded. You saved me a bunch of money. I'm glad to have my bike back again. Case Closed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts