Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lowside two weeks ago at around 35 mph. I now need to pump the lever a few times before the front brake engages. I have checked over the lines and master cylinders and there no visual damages. Is it possible that when my bike was on it's side some air got into the hydraulic system? If I bleed the lines will this go away??

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
when i lowsided mine the same thing happened. it was actually a bent rotor. it would push the pads back when you rolled the bike, so you had to pump the brakes a few times before they would contact the rotor again. i'd check for that.

·
Registered
810 Posts
well something doesn't sound right.

Do you have to consistantly have to 'pump' the brake?

Check over the connections & fuid levels.
Then if still not working - bleed.

K

·
0 Posts
how about your lever, is it banged up any? because if it is, your master cylinder get the brunt of the force too... and is probably leaking and not holding fluid back after pressurizing the lines...

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how about your lever, is it banged up any? because if it is, your master cylinder get the brunt of the force too... and is probably leaking and not holding fluid back after pressurizing the lines...
I lowsided on the left and did not touch the levers. I checked the master cylinder for any indication of leaks and did not see any. I know its not my rotors because there's not even a scratch on the front or on my fork sliders. I bled the crap of all the front lines and the master cyclinder but it still looses pressure intermittenly. Should I take the master cylinder apart and check it out? Can it be rebuilt?

K

·
0 Posts
I checked the master cylinder for any indication of leaks and did not see any.
so you didn't take it apart...

Should I take the master cylinder apart and check it out? Can it be rebuilt?
i take that as a no.

master cylinders don't leak on the outside, they leak on the inside. yes, you should take it apart and inspect it. the only points that air could have been introduced into the brake system would be around seals. lines, pistons, and the MC.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so you didn't take it apart...

i take that as a no.

master cylinders don't leak on the outside, they leak on the inside. yes, you should take it apart and inspect it. the only points that air could have been introduced into the brake system would be around seals. lines, pistons, and the MC.
I did noticed after I lowsided that the rubber seal in the MC resevoir was popped forward some how.

What "pistons" are you referring to Knight?? Sorry.

K

·
0 Posts
I did noticed after I lowsided that the rubber seal in the MC resevoir was popped forward some how.

What "pistons" are you referring to Knight?? Sorry.
the caliper pistons... are there any other kind of pistons in a braking system that perhaps i'm not aware of?

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
and you're sure your rotors are fine? hard to believe that the MC would get damaged or even air in the system in a 35mph lowside that didn't impact the MC.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You'd need to push them out to inspect the seal.

did the caliper take any damage?

No damage to the calipers, so...to push out the pistons and inspect the seal I need to remove the pads and pull in on the lever?? don't laugh..my first time working on brake system.

K

·
0 Posts
yes, that about sums it up... with lots of fluid.

But with no physical damage done to the braking system... i find it rather hard to believe that they WOULD leak...

Have you tried bleeding the lines yet? i know your OP asked if bleeding the lines would make it go away, but since then i have not read that you have done this.

K

·
0 Posts
Oh, thanks pete, i missed that! there was a poster not long ago, this week i think, that did not know how to properly bleed the system, and if this is the first time Degoviet has worked on a brake system, i suspect that the bleeding was done improperly.

just to verify that this is not the case, when you bleed, you you pumped up and held the brake lever, cracked the bleeder, closed the bleeder, and released the lever fro another round of pumping. yes?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh, thanks pete, i missed that! there was a poster not long ago, this week i think, that did not know how to properly bleed the system, and if this is the first time Degoviet has worked on a brake system, i suspect that the bleeding was done improperly.

just to verify that this is not the case, when you bleed, you you pumped up and held the brake lever, cracked the bleeder, closed the bleeder, and released the lever fro another round of pumping. yes?
I bled the lines using a bleeding device called Mighty Vac and also did it manually.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts