Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
i wouldnt do it all the time, im sure it puts alot of stress on your kickstand and could possibly bend it. plus why would you want to grind the bottom of it on the pavement and wear it out or risk droppin your bike because of the weight?? im sure its helpful now and then but i still wouldnt do it

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have done it a few times, I am not sure if it is good? There is a video someplace that shows how to do it, maybe someone remembers where it is?

·
Over the berm, and thru the woods, to grandmothers
1,220 Posts
I do it all the time now. No it will not hurt the bike. It will slightly bend the tip of the kickstand but that is nothing to worry about.

Grab the left grip with your left hand and the tail right behind the seat on the right side. Pull the bike towards you until its only on the stand and spin it without dragging your wheels. Its a piece of cake but will take you a few tries to get it right.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I've done it a couple of times, and I always have the thought in the back of my head "I hope the kickstand doesn't give out on me". Don't know where that video is but the way I do it is I lock the handlebars to the right and while standing on the left side of the bike, I pull the handlebars towars me until you feel all the weight on the stand, then just backstep and turn.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Good way to unload the front or rear suspension when setting sag.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
yeah, i do it all the time... it's the only way i can get my bike into my kitchen. the porch outside my kitchen is too small for me to position my bike to get in the door any other way...

it doesn't hurt the bike. just as long as you don't do something stupid. it's exactly like flamedRRider explained it. the only thing i do different is i'll put my foot on the bottom of the side stand to keep it from slipping...

·
Registered
148 Posts
This has been discussed before. Someone submitted this video:
http://www.structive.com/hosted/600...stand_pivot.wmv

I don't have a choice but to do this with my bike since I keep it in the bike in the basement and there's no room to make a turn. Backing up the bike into the basement is not an option since i have a very long driveway (and i'm too lazy to move the cars out). I've been doing this for about a year. No sign of any damage to the kickstand. The tip bends, but that's about it.

I do it the same way flammedRRider does it. Hold on to the left grip and the tail. Lean the bike towards you. I lean the bike right against my hips then pivot the bike with my body instead of just pulling on the handle bars.

·
Registered
465 Posts
The 600rr is a natural for this maneuver and it just seems to effortlessly glide around, so I don't think any harm is done.

Have tried the same with other Sportbikes and the effort to do so on those bikes makes me think better not.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The R6 has a skinny kickstand. It looks like it might bend. My R6 riding friend does it easily. The gixxer's kickstand is long and plants wide, its hard to get the weight of the bike on it. I haven't tried on the Kawi yet, but if AstarsHottie says its hard, then it must be.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been doing this on my bike without any ill effects. The kickstand's not gridned of in any part.

It's really easy to do. Someone has the "how to" written up already. Just make sure that you DO NOT LEAN THE BIKE FORWARD, or the kick stand will retract and the bike will land on your feet and ground. No, I've never had that happen to me but it just seems like common sense.

I find it easier to do on other bikes since there are some sort of "bars" right below the seat. With my rear pegs removed I have to hold onto the plastics now. S'all good though.:)

·
Registered
508 Posts
i used the kickstand trick earlier to put chain wax on. dont have stands yet so i had my friend lean the bike till the back wheels off the ground, put bike in neutral and spun the wheel so the wax went on evenly. worked good for me.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I do it all the time, had the bike for over a year. . . Just make sure you can adequately do it

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had a buddy push the bike forward when I was pivioting it on the kickstand, to see if the kickstand would inadvertenly close. My garage floor is smooth concrete and the bike would just slide when pushed from this strange angle.
I would have to conclude that it is impossible for the kickstand to accidently close while the bike is supported only by the kickstand. If you are on a solid but rough surface, and someone is pushing your bike from behind during the pivot, it MAY close on you.
Yes, I like to watch Discoverys 'Myth busters' thank you.

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
I do it as well... Go way to turn the bike around instead of rolling backwards on it.

Jason

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Yups I do this everyday when I'm putting it in the garage next to the Old Ladies car. It's a perfect spin for a clean exit out. yee-uhh ! ! ! . .

1 - 20 of 38 Posts