Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does colder weather meen you should take it easy in the twisties because of cold ground surfaces? I always figured warm tires and warm ground make for the best traction, or is this not the case? Can you still ride hard in the winter once your tires are warm but the ground is cold?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
It would really depend on how cold it is out and how long you have been on the tires. I wouldn't suggest hitting some hard twisties in 40 degree weather if you've only been on the tires 15 minutes. Give them a good 30 minutes of moderate turns and you should be alright.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I would say take it easy at first to put some heat into the tire like you said.

C

·
0 Posts
Longer warm up times for your tires in cold conditions. Any chance of moisture or ice on the roads and you slow it down bigtyme. Winter months also bring a lot of gravel into the roads... So.. watch out. Never drive faster than it is safe for conditions. When racing, harder compound is generally reserved for hot days and softer compound for colder days. But racers don't necessarily always choose tires under that rule.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
no way jose. i'd rather just wait ou the winter and ride in spring. i denno how the pilot powers perform but when i had the stock dumblops on, gunning it at high rpm would cause it to slip and it would want to slide out in corners. and well in the winter comes road salt and slipping on that is no fun. i'd ride it moderately. remember, ride within your limits, if u think u cant lean on a corner when its 45 degrees out. don't.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Alex_RR said:
Can you still ride hard in the winter once your tires are warm but the ground is cold?

Thanks
yes, assuming you arent doing trackday pace on the street you should be fine riding hard. one thing to keep in mind though is winter brings out salt/gravel/water/ice onto the roads so thats a better reason than tires to drop your pace a bit. Here in SoCal I ride up in the mountains and usually its not that cold but there are sections where the road is in shadow all day and sometimes ice can form there, even though its not cold enough generally to sustain ice.

so be careful.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
KhMeRGuY978 said:
no way jose. i'd rather just wait ou the winter and ride in spring. i denno how the pilot powers perform but when i had the stock dumblops on, gunning it at high rpm would cause it to slip and it would want to slide out in corners. and well in the winter comes road salt and slipping on that is no fun. i'd ride it moderately. remember, ride within your limits, if u think u cant lean on a corner when its 45 degrees out. don't.
I rode all last winter with stock Dunlops. They were fine. If there was ice on the roads I just didn't ride. Granted I wasn't leaning at a 45 but by the time the spring came I only had about 1/4 inch chicken strip.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, I never ment when there was ice or wet conditions on the road. I just ment when the roads are 30 degrees and dry can you still get good traction once the tires are up to temp. I just got my RR and I dont want to have to stop getting in some quality seat time just cause the roads are cold.
Thanks for all the help

K

·
0 Posts
winter here is 3ft of snow... is there a belt and ski mod out there? lol!

SNOWMOCYCLE!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts