Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was riding at about 100kph. Nothing special.. just enjoying the sunshine when I hear a loud BANG. I was like wtf. I get off and notice that my bloody exhaust has exploded. I managed to nurse the bike home but it melted a big ass hole in my underseat. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the exhaust?. I'm gonna ring Two Bro's tomorrow and have a winge at them but I doubt they will do anything. Not best pleased.

Attachments

·
Registered
849 Posts
Might be able to bandsaw it straight beyond the weakened carbon fiber.
Then drill out the old rivets on the end cap.
Re-drill and install with new stainless steel rivets.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ha! All of my friends acted like I was crazy when I got rid of the TwoBros on my r6 and put a stock one back on. I'll stick to akra, arrow, or leo. I know this was probably an isolated occurrence but I always thought TwoBros were ugly anyway.

I wonder what caused it though, carbon fiber just weakened with age?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Not an isolated occurrence at all with TBR (Google it) and one if the main reasons those with experience around here say stay away. No idea how old your pipe is but they won't cover anything unless you've followed their maintenance schedule and are the original owner and bought directly from them.

You can cut it, but it'll do it again.

Sucks, man, wish I had better news; cheap price means cheap carbon fiber, poor design, and no good warranty. They may replace the pipe but not the damage to the bike.

Mike

·
Registered
860 Posts
this is what happens when you buy crap.

a well made carbon can has a carbon cover over a stainless can or uses much higher spec carbon as do Akrapovic.

·
BOTM Winner 03/14
2,497 Posts
Sorry this happened

Might be able to bandsaw it straight beyond the weakened carbon fiber.
Then drill out the old rivets on the end cap.
Re-drill and install with new stainless steel rivets.
This is the only fix unless you buy something else. I have read that this has happened with other two bros. I have a two bros but when I have extra money I think I'll go get a akra

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Ha! All of my friends acted like I was crazy when I got rid of the TwoBros on my r6 and put a stock one back on. I'll stick to akra, arrow, or leo. I know this was probably an isolated occurrence but I always thought TwoBros were ugly anyway.

I wonder what caused it though, carbon fiber just weakened with age?
I wouldn't have thought you were crazy, the stock exhuast actually looks the best on the r6 IMO. Also, yes of course, on the whole ugly deal... :crackup:

·
Registered
598 Posts
First off why are you guys slamming two bros...they make great pipes...two bros recommends you change out the packing around 15-20k miles...

Sorry this happen to you I would contact two bros and see what they have to say. I wouldn't read into anyone stating they're crap pipes...many ppl have them and many ppl enjoy them...but then again everyone likes what they have on their bike.

Good luck

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
First off why are you guys slamming two bros...they make great pipes...two bros recommends you change out the packing around 15-20k miles...

Sorry this happen to you I would contact two bros and see what they have to say. I wouldn't read into anyone stating they're crap pipes...many ppl have them and many ppl enjoy them...but then again everyone likes what they have on their bike.

Good luck
Coming from the guy with the huge two mothers sticking out the back of his bike.

It's a cheap brand and isn't used by any legitimate motorcycle teams. And given they concentrate almost entirely on noise making slip ons it's quite apparent that their focus absolutely is not on performance.

But if you like it go hard, but don't try to argue that it's a great product. Because it isn't

·
Registered
598 Posts
Coming from the guy with the huge two mothers sticking out the back of his bike.

It's a cheap brand and isn't used by any legitimate motorcycle teams. And given they concentrate almost entirely on noise making slip ons it's quite apparent that their focus absolutely is not on performance.

But if you like it go hard, but don't try to argue that it's a great product. Because it isn't
If you read what I wrote I clearly said everyone likes what they have on "their" bike...

My point is the OP came here with a question...now if someone can't offer helpful advise then move on and no reason to post....to tell someone they got what they paid for is not helpful.

This board is designed to ask question, provide help to members and share experiences..

So with that all being said if a question is asked about a product that someone feels is crap then reply with some support ....example "I've had a two bros and in my experience they're not the best made pipe. I've either had or know someone who has had this problem and this is how you can fix it........."

Thats a lot more helpful over you bought crap...two bros sucks...etc etc..

not trying to stir the pot just trying to get some help for the original question.:thumbup:

For the OP here is some info about slip-ons
http://www.superstreetbike.com/features/slip-and-full-exhaust-system-shootout-2012

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Here's a suggestion, put the stock one back on. Not joking, mine is sort of starting to sound better as time goes by.

2 Bros... Never had one, but from what I've seen here, it's a can for new riders who want a cheap way to make their bike sound better. I don't know any experienced riders who use their stuff and there are quite a few stories on here about problems with their products. People who own something and defend its quality in the face of evidence to the contrary are simply trying to justify the money they spent. Good for them if it works out, and in most cases it probably will; the difference between a quality product is not just this, it's also the higher probability of failure and the lack of confidence in what you've bought that will get to you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for.. some of the input. Ha. I'm gonna shorten it a bit and then re-rivet it. I aint called 2 bro's yet but I will tomorrow. Anyone have any idea why this happened so I can maybe do something that will help prevent it again. Like is it just the rivets that will definitely fail? or if i do a repack will that help?. Any suggestions?. Safe to say that I won't be buying a 2 bro's again though. I will start saving for a yoshi then I guess.

·
Registered
433 Posts
i bought my bike with a CF two bros slip on and i like it. i understand it may not be the best product and not make any more power but i really dont care. if i wanted more power i would have bought a 1000. in my opinion two bros sounds looks awesome and sounds even better. its a street bike not a track bike so performance is not my biggest concern. but everyone has their preferences. i just shortened my can this past week and its suprisingly easy. there is an awesome step by step write up in the DIY section on shortening this can. and it looks way better shortened anyway. if the pipe is older i would def re-pack. good luck with it though!

·
Registered
849 Posts
The resin coating the carbon fiber is sometimes too thin and may not fully cover it, UV and heat destroy it prematurely.
Poor construction with the rivets close to the edge of the carbon fiber simply deteriorates under heat, vibration. The grade and quality of the rivets looks to have held somewhat as it appears to have ripped through the carbon fiber.
Repack, you could shove some more steel wool in there, probably a good time to do it since it's already partially disassembled.

·
Registered
598 Posts
op...If you repack let me know how much of a PITA it is...When I bought my bike it had a two bros on it....Since I don't know the actual miles on the pipe I've been considering repacking it or getting a new pipe.

Best of luck. Hopefully it won't cost you an arm and a leg.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts