Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know -- another exhaust post. But I'm short on time and not sure what to do.

When installing my two brothers exhaust this weekend (in the process) I'm wondering what's more common - trimming the stock heat shield or putting heat tape in behind the mid pipe. It's a carbon fiber slip on but I'm obviously want protection behind the mid pipe.

Suggestions? Opinions? I'm running short on time so I couldn't search all that much for a close up pic of others....

·
Registered
210 Posts
i have the two bros black series carbon slip on on my 08' 600 rr. there really is no need for the stock heat shields or heat tape (i chose to keep the heat shield that covers part of the mid pipe). i ride here in san antonio, tx daily where the temps are over 100 derees a lot and dont have any issues with excessive heat or heat damage. good luck with the install.

Attachments

Reactions: asoland88

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just put on my Leo Vince on Friday. I kept the piece of shield by the mid pipe because I felt it looked better and it may keep some heat away from my legs on hot days when I'm at a stop light.

I used a heat tape I bought from a local dealer under the entire tail section. Works pretty well and easy to put on. I can't argue that you do or don't need this. However, it may matter if you're not installing a carbon fibre pipe which I hear can run pretty hot.

But as for trimming the original stock heat shield .....I'd forget that. Too much hassle ...easy to look unclean ...and could start rattling and probably scratch up your pipe since cutting it may make it difficult to anchor properly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I'm runnin out of time before riding back home (installing parts at my parents place). I was set on heat tape as the shield (I would trim it down) seemed to look bad under the bike. Then a few people told me that the heat tape looks like junk if it gets wet and such. Your bike looks tight man! Never had any melting or heat issues at all? Good to know, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just put on my Leo Vince on Friday. I kept the piece of shield by the mid pipe because I felt it looked better and it may keep some heat away from my legs on hot days when I'm at a stop light.

I used a heat tape I bought from a local dealer under the entire tail section. Works pretty well and easy to put on. I can't argue that you do or don't need this. However, it may matter if you're not installing a carbon fibre pipe which I hear can run pretty hot.

But as for trimming the original stock heat shield .....I'd forget that. Too much hassle ...easy to look unclean ...and could start rattling and probably scratch up your pipe since cutting it may make it difficult to anchor properly.
This is what I thought too. Especially as the Two Brothers (among others) leaves a lot more room to see a heat shield. I'm putting the side shield on behind my peg though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went with the reflective tape. Really liked how it ended up. Put the TBR exhaust, FE, IT, and sliders on this weekend. Really happy with the result. Thanks for the input RR fam.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.