Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently came into possession of a two stroke weed wacker. I don't know when the last time it was run so I dumped the gas and replaced what was in the tank but not the lines (with 50:1 mix). I primed it and pulled the cord. Repeatedly. It did not want to fire up.

After giving myself a blister I decided that wasn't going to work. I pulled the spark plug and it was really dirty and the gap was closed up. I cleaned it and put a gap in it.

I tried pulling the cord again and after a while it fired up and died. Tried again and it fired up. Idled for a minute and then I engaged it and it revved up like crazy for about 10 seconds then the carb spit gas all over me.

What would cause this? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I just bought a used weedeater and it was doing the same thing. Try cleaning the carburetor and air filter, that did the trick for me. On a cold start it takes no more than 3 pulls.

Also make sure that you are using quality gas. I was using the cheap stuff in my mower and it gummed up the carb to where it no longer wanted to run.

·
Registered
433 Posts
pull the carb off, remove the bowl, dump the water out and and clean with carb cleaner. be careful not to rip the gasket. should do the trick

·
Registered
862 Posts
Believe it or not, boiling the carb also does a pretty good job of cleaning it. Did it to my lawnmower that sat with gas in the bowl for a year which ended in seriously clogged carbs and it worked like new after boiling. No need to pick apart the carb either, just take it off and dump it in a boiling pot for a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Boiling it in lemon juice does it even better, just pull all the rubber/paper stuff out of it and chose a cooking pot you don't like and boil it up, ALWAYS works for my little carbs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts