Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just put some 180/55/ZR17 AND 120/70/ZR17 Michelin pilot tyres on and would like some advise on pressures, only i have heard different pressure advise ranging from 36psi to 42psi..
I don't do track days i only commute and go on coastal rides..

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have just put some 180/55/ZR17 AND 120/70/ZR17 Michelin pilot tyres on and would like some advise on pressures, only i have heard different pressure advise ranging from 36psi to 42psi..
I don't do track days i only commute and go on coastal rides..

Thanks
Steve
I think that's within spec and I have Q3+ that I'm running 38f 40r for street and 34 f/r cold for canyon. I'm on the heavier side so you may get away with lower pressures without sacrificing wear.

Side note: if all your riding is to commute then the Michelin Road series have fantastic wear, have great grip in all conditions and I've ridden them on my CBR and an FZ07 without complaints.

·
Registered
437 Posts
36 psi front 42 psi rear, for your usage that will do nicely. Check it often, with a good gauge. Before every ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in that ball park too, 36psi front and 40psi rear for commuting and relaxed riding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Honestly I think 40-42 in the rear is way to firm unless you are carrying another person or you commute with added weight with saddle bags. Those are max pressures for max load. You have a light bike. The rear is always lower than the front for normal riding. Front should be 31 to 34. You can adjust for feel. Below 31 you may get a tucking sensation so you need pressure in there for structure. The rear...28 to 36psi max unless you and what your carrying is heavy. I think 32 is a general ballpark number. If you make the rear to hard without weight it won't conform to the surface giving you max traction. Plus you are more likely to eat the center out of the tire.
Screenshot_20210720-114832_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HI
Thanks for the google confirmation, only there so many riders suggests so many different pressures..

That does make sense having higher pressure would eat the middle of the rear tyre

Thanks again

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went to the Michelin site. They don't give a recommendation and they tell you not to listen to fools like me. Just remember pressure for max load is way different than pressure for max traction and feel. They say to follow your motorcycles recommendation which makes sense if their tire came with the bike. All the factual information I can tell is max pressure is for max load. If you live some where hot your tire will run a lot hotter so you have to make room for expanding air. The harder your tire is the less it conforms to the road surface. Same reason 4X4 Rock climbers air their tires down...for max grip.
Obviously you can't make a front tire too soft. On the street with pot holes etc.... you will be very safe at 32 or 33psi up front. The rear running 30 to 32psi. I definitely would not run more than 36psi in the rear because the tires are going to heat up. So temp and how you ride play a lot into your pressures. So not to confuse you I think you could put 33 in the front and run 31 in the rear without any concern at all.
The pics from Michelin on their site.
Screenshot_20210720-121702_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210720-121613_Chrome.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts