Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on getting a U-Haul hitch installed on my car so that I can rent a trailer to tow my bike to track days in the future.

Can someone give me any info on what else I would need to secure the bike in place, like straps, etc? Also, if anyone has any links or tutorials on how to properly secure it down, that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!

N

·
0 Posts
Just pretty much tie-downs is all you need. Do not, I repeat, do not get canyon dancers. I'll be carrying these in the store but I would not recommend them to anyone. And if a vendor does, they have no clue what they can do to your hand grip. So annoying.

Also, get the rachet tie-downs, not the ones you pull.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help once again, nemesis!

Sorry for my lack of knowledge about this, but can you tell me what the difference is between rachet tie downs vs. the pull ones? Also, what are canyon dancers?

N

·
0 Posts
No problem, man.

Rachet Tie-Down: Cock to tie down
Upside: Grips like crazy

Regular Tie-Downs: Pull to tie down
Downside - loosens over time, bumps, etc.

Use these as substitutes for Canyon Dancers: Tie-Down Extensions

N

·
0 Posts
These are Canyon Dancer:

See how they slip onto your hand grip. Well, when you pull down on the tie-downs, it'll ruin your hand grips or push them inwards.

Trust me, don't get them.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Nope, just the knee dragger logo still.

Tried looking at Kneedraggers, but also no pic.

Anyhow, just get the rachet tie downs and don't worry about anything else? Are tie down extensions necessary and what is their purpose?

Also, which brand makes good rachet tie downs?

N

·
0 Posts
shamster said:
Nope, just the knee dragger logo still.

Tried looking at Kneedraggers, but also no pic.
You don't see it? Hmm....interesting. Well do a search for Canyon Dancer at their site www.kneedraggers.com

shamster said:
Anyhow, just get the rachet tie downs and don't worry about anything else? Are tie down extensions necessary and what is their purpose?

Also, which brand makes good rachet tie downs?
Save yourself some money and get the ones from Home Depot. They're like $10-$15 (4 tie-downs). Purpose/function of tie-downs? Tie down your bike on the trailer, and keep it from falling on it's side.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Nemesis said:
Purpose/function of tie-downs? Tie down your bike on the trailer, and keep it from falling on it's side.
Sorry, I meant what is the purpose of the tie down extensions? I was under the impression that is something else other than the tie downs itself, and to be used instead of the canyon carvers.

Also, what length tie downs should I look for?

N

·
0 Posts
shamster said:
Sorry, I meant what is the purpose of the tie down extensions? I was under the impression that is something else other than the tie downs itself, and to be used instead of the canyon carvers.

Also, what length tie downs should I look for?
Look for the packaged set - they're pretty much the same length.

The tie-down extensions - how do I explain this? Just think of them as hook extensions. Ex. wrap around fork/triple clamp/clip-ons/wateva is sturdy enough, and hook both loops onto the tie-down hooks. You'll know what I'm talking about when you try to tie down your bike.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nemesis said:
Look for the packaged set - they're pretty much the same length.

The tie-down extensions - how do I explain this? Just think of them as hook extensions. Ex. wrap around fork/triple clamp/clip-ons/wateva is sturdy enough, and hook both loops onto the tie-down hooks. You'll know what I'm talking about when you try to tie down your bike.
So something like this should do?
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=55363-37340-4RT2S10&lpage=none

And this...
http://www.speedwerks.com/catalog/c0m0bm0b0s1pn0p4155np0

N

·
0 Posts
Yes, exactly. But for the tie-downs you could find them way cheaper but if a few bucks don't mean a thing to you than go for it.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Only thing is I noticed that the tie downs I posted lists a 433 lbs. load capacity. Other rachet motorcycle tie downs show load capacity anywhere from 1000 - 5000 lbs. How important are these numbers?

N

·
0 Posts
shamster said:
Only thing is I noticed that the tie downs I posted lists a 433 lbs. load capacity. Other rachet motorcycle tie downs show load capacity anywhere from 1000 - 5000 lbs. How important are these numbers?
You got 4 tie downs, and a bike that weighs 400 lbs give or take. It's not going to matter much. If it makes you feel better buy the other ones. And if you really want to feel SECURE, I can always hold your hand while you're tying them down...hahaha

I love ya, mang.

N

·
0 Posts
shamster said:
$270 for the hitch and installation.
Wow! That's a lot. My friend got it done for less than $99.00 but than again you guys are in NY/NJ. Everything in expensive up there.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
To get a hitch put on it cost me about $160, try going to a local "full service" RV dealership, see how much that would be.

Nemesis, your advise was really good, it sounds like you tie your bike down like I do, I have found that a wheel chalk helped me out alot, to keep the front wheel in place.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts