Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
The real reason military members motorcycle death rates are rising is, because too many young guys having that desert money in their pocket and want a 1000cc bike.

But they've never owned a bike, I'm in the military and I see it everyday and the people wont listen when you try to give them advice.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hopefully the expirement lasts a while, because I wants to do it after I go in the Navy!

Track days in the military... sounds fun! I am definatey the Type A personality they talk about too:burnout:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I bought my first bike with desert money...knock on wood I guess

I did the same thing too back in 03", and lots of people have. The key though is being smart after you make the purchase. The guys we're talking about aren't being smart, because they're buying something wayyyy out of their league.

I just came back to the U.S. about 4 months ago, and Keith Code and his crew put on a mock trackday at Kadena AB in Okinawa, Japan.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The real reason military members motorcycle death rates are rising is, because too many young guys having that desert money in their pocket and want a 1000cc bike.

But they've never owned a bike, I'm in the military and I see it everyday and the people wont listen when you try to give them advice.
Wait, are you trying to say that a liter bike is NOT a beginner bike?

/sarcasm

And I would agree. A friend of mine in the USMC just got back and picked up a used busa. It's his first bike. Oh, and the busa is boosted. His logic is that his vette is supercharged so he should be able to handle it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Cerberus2k7: The excuse your friend is one I've heard manyyy times. Some people have to learn the hard way. I just hope and pray that the hard way doesn't kill them.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Hopefully the expirement lasts a while, because I wants to do it after I go in the Navy!

Track days in the military... sounds fun! I am definatey the Type A personality they talk about too:burnout:
Type A personality joins the SF... I guess you'll be one of them SF guys running around with facial hair and long hair

·
Registered
357 Posts
yes i am in the navy and see the same problems. on my base marines arent even allowed to have bikes on base. the laws on riding on base are getting worse and worse because of people who go out and buy bikes and crash and get hurt. It sucks for people like me who have my bike on base because it keeps me sane!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think trackdays on post is an f'n great idea. Adrenaline is a powerful thing and many people coming back from over seas gravitate towards activities that give them a good boost of it (myself included). Adrenaline addiction I think it's called. There's no better way to expell those urges on a bike then a readily available safe(r) place to go WOT.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The armed forces have recognized this and have started offering rider safety courses - have for some time I believe - so at least some of the guys are getting some advice and instruction. One member posted their experience with one of these events, guys even tuned his suspension for him.

To all the military guys - ride safe and ride smart. Thanks for the dedication.

I

·
0 Posts
I know as far as military post we are required to have a Motorcycle safety course completed before you are able to ride on post. The military pays for it so it's a win/win situation. A vest or reflective belt is required as well along with long sleeve, over the ankle boots, and pants. All this does not prevent an accident but the Army is trying to address the problem.

·
Registered
135 Posts
yeah i used the 2nd half of my recruitment bonus money (4 years army aviaton) to pay off my track car so i could sell it and get a bike.

I know quite a few of my buddies who got back from deployment and picked up a bike right away, luckily none have gone rubber side up.

its good to see the armed forces are noticing trends and doing something worthwile to try and counter them

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm in the Air Force and I for one have seen the "ignorance" from many young airmen whenever they see me or ask me about bikes or getting bikes.

Many of them just want to simply get one to look cool on or haul booty!

All they want is the biggest, baddest, fastest bike on the market; and that whole mentality stems from immaturity.

All I do is mentor them the best way possible from a mature rider's standpoint and then point them towards MSF courses and suggest to them to view high speed motorcycle accident videos/photos.

I suggest all military member on the this forum to do the same and mentor them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts