Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sensors .....07+ CBR's in EU/UK have them?

A respected friend says bikes on EU/UK specs have 02 sensors.

but they only have an emission control function.......so they do not have a real control loop to the ecu (not like OBD 2 ecu's on autos).

Where would they connect to the ecu, Are EU/UK ecu's different?

US spec bikes do not?

My 09 (cali spec does not have an O2 sensor).

AFIK no USA spec bikes come with them...........?.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
The only thing I know is that the EU (which includes UK) and US ECUs are different. By testament of HMRacing which have informed me that there are enough differences to prevent their dashes from working with US ECUs. Secondly, EU bikes do not require Dynojet's IRC/Bazzaz's Z-Bomb, installing them would mess the bike up because they are not subject to the stock ignition retard at 100% throttle like the US ECUs.

Euro bikes have O2 sensors which are visible if you look from the right side of the bike at the header extension right below the rearsets, it is used to keep emissions in check. Don't know about the US bikes regarding this point.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What purpose does the 02 sensor serve?

is it just an (limit value exceeded) idiot light?

does it modify fueling/ignition at all?

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
What purpose does the 02 sensor serve?

is it just an (limit value exceeded) idiot light?

does it modify fueling/ignition at all?
My guess is the O2 sensor basically reads the oxygen levels from the exhaust streams and sends these readings to the ECU which can then compensate by adjusting the air to fuel ratio so that it stays within the programmed limits, complying with whatever level emmission laws constitute as acceptable.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
My understanding with o2 sensors on bikes is that the bike will only run in open loop to trim the fuel tables within the emissions standards testing zones. Basically they will lean the mixture in the bottom end. I'm not sure if there are any bikes out there that run a true open loop. Its basically a band aid to pass emissions.

Sometimes bikes fitted with factory o2s will have a hitch in the fuelling when the bike crosses over from a modified open loop back to closed loop. This is easily defeated with an o2 emulator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts