Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have yet to ride a 600RR as well as any other bike with the underseat exhaust. I love the look but was wondering if there were any drawbacks, ie excessive amounts of heat coming from under the seat, especially for a second passenger on the back, or anything else that might make this not such a good idea. Thanks!

·
Registered
244 Posts
You CAN get either a pack of smokes, or your wallet under there, but not both. Haven't noticed any heat issues with the exhaust. I'm not set up for passengers, so I can't speak to that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i have an 07 and yes there is a lot of heat on long rides.

i changed to a carbon fiber exhuast and put heat tape underneath the seat. there is still heat there after the change, but about 40% less.

the passenger i think would really feel the heat either way...

·
Registered
391 Posts
don't ride 2up.ha ha and you can fit a PCIII under there and that's it..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hot seat

The heat is not bad for the passenger on my 07 600rr, but things you store under the seat get very hot, I would never put a cellphone in there.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
You WILL reak of exhaust/gasoline smell..

All bikes have a low pressure zone right behind the rider. And since the exhaust exit of an under seat is in that same area, the fumes hang around in that low pressure zone with you and clings to your clothes like no other.

I never used to mind it but now its getting on my nerves because I'm starting to get headaches from it. Besides, it sucks if you want to take the bike somewhere nice and end up smelling like a gas can..

·
Registered
178 Posts
no problems with the center up exhaust either.

just for reference i fit all this in the tail:
- cellphone (on the right side)
- keys (to the rear, behind the metal "hook")
- wallet (flat on)
- insurance papers(flat on)
- disc lock (right side)
- garage opener (between rear and right side)
- tool kit (left side)

i duno why u guys are complaining about not fitting stuff in there... haha i put the position in brackets

as for 2up, my gf never complained about the heat once, she complained about the hard seat though :icon_lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the responses. I don't really plan on trying to pack the kitchen sink in the storage compartment, but I'd like to have my girl ride on the back without complaining every 2 minutes about the seat being too hot. I'll possibly look into the heat tape if worse comes to worse, but hopefully she doesn't mind and maybe she'll even like it.... Who knows?

·
Registered
101 Posts
tell the btch to shut up and hang on.

Mine knows better. Hahaha. You can always have her in daisy dukes w/ her g-strings pulled up for the tempertature control problem. j/k

·
Registered
83 Posts
Even with a stock exhaust I got no complaints from any of the pillions I took around. Even less heat now that I fitted a titanium pipe is cool in a matter of minutes.

Only gripe I got is on my right leg from down pipe on long rides.
Gunna heat wrap it soon so shouldnt be a worry much anymore.

If ya worried just stick some thermal strips under the seat.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The smell of exhaust does stick to you.

Anytime I get off my bike, I smell of exhaust until I change my shirt. It doesn't bother me, but it may get to others when you sit down to eat. On the plus side, all the women at the restaurant/ bar knows you're a rider. I had a cougar hunting me one night b/c the smell turned her on.

Gotta love the milfs.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
The seat does get hot if you're running at redline for extended periods of time, but unless you have a stretch of high speed sweepers nearby that you can top out 6th gear in, it won't be a problem..

·
Sweeper Warrior
1,442 Posts
under tail exh. is the $hit! makes the bikes apperance 100% better. as for the heat and storage.....................it's a sport bike! who care's! your riding it for a reason, and it's not comfort..... T.K.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts