Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Any cops on line? I have a question. My friend's friend's cousin said that he was speeding on a road so that he could merge into the freeway. This make belief person said that a white taurus that was unmarked started speeding up. As the motorcyclist noticed, he didn't know why this unmarked taurus was chasing him. So what the motorcylist sped up to get away for his own safety .. as he was approaching 80 mph in a 50, he slowed down as he knew that was way to fast. he then noticed that the taurus was right behind him. the motorcylist slowed down even more until the white taurus pulled beside him. He then noticed that the driver was on a CB radio. The motorcylist assumes that the taurus driver was a cop. Question: we all think that the taurus driver was radioing other cops to pull the biker over for speeding. Can the motorcylist get a ticket if a different cop runs his plates. The taurus driver's car was unmarked. The driver did not have a police uniform. No radar or video was noticable in the car. The driver never talked to the biker. Only chased him and noted the license plate. Does my friend's friends cousin have anything to worry about?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
hmmm, are you sure your talking about your friends friends cousin?

sounds like they don't have anything to worry about, i mean if you weren't pulled over then there shouldn't be a ticket, and ive never heard of getting a speeding ticket in the mail. just my opinion

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this was just a hypothetical question. I always wondered what would happen. I don't condone speeding, but in this hypo situation, one would either slow down or speed up to merge. chances of an imposter officer is unlikely, but possible which is one reason why the make belief biker sped up. So say next month, the biker goes for a ride, is it possible that other officers could issue a ticket on behalf of the white taurus (assuming he was a cop) or does the ticket have to be issued by the white taurus's driver (if he was a cop)?

·
Registered
223 Posts
If they don't have any evidence I'm pretty sure you're... err, I mean this guy is in the clear. On a side note, if you get pulled over, I've been told to ask to see the radar gun. If they reset it before you see it I've been told they don't have any evidence and you can usually get away with it. I've also been told to ask for calibration records on the gun if you go to court for speeding. If the gun is not calibrated right, then it's really not solid evidence. I really don't have any experience with this type of stuff... It's just all hear-say.

·
Registered
304 Posts
risky_analyst said:
this was just a hypothetical question. I always wondered what would happen. I don't condone speeding, but in this hypo situation, one would either slow down or speed up to merge. chances of an imposter officer is unlikely, but possible which is one reason why the make belief biker sped up. So say next month, the biker goes for a ride, is it possible that other officers could issue a ticket on behalf of the white taurus (assuming he was a cop) or does the ticket have to be issued by the white taurus's driver (if he was a cop)?
Just becuase he is undercover dosent mean he can't issue a ticket. A COP IS A COP no matter what he is driving.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FloridaMotoHead said:
Just becuase he is undercover dosent mean he can't issue a ticket. A COP IS A COP no matter what he is driving.
yes, a cop is a cop, but the driver was not in uniform. No sirens no lights, no markings. I don't think the biker should have pulled over for that reason - which he didn't. But the question is could he be issued a citation from another officer. Specifically, if the licence plate was recorded, does it go into some database so if another cop runs the plates, he can pull you over for the speeding that was noted by the off-duty cop? I'm beginning to think that the biker is in the clear and that the driver was radioing in some on duty officer to issue the ticket.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Haha, I wouldn't think so.
risky_analyst said:
yes, a cop is a cop, but the driver was not in uniform. No sirens no lights, no markings. I don't think the biker should have pulled over for that reason - which he didn't. But the question is could he be issued a citation from another officer. Specifically, if the licence plate was recorded, does it go into some database so if another cop runs the plates, he can pull you over for the speeding that was noted by the off-duty cop? I'm beginning to think that the biker is in the clear and that the driver was radioing in some on duty officer to issue the ticket.

N

·
0 Posts
My past experience?

Unmarked car follows me and my girlfriend (ex now). I speed, he speeds. I pull a U-turn, he does the same. I corner heavily, he does the same. I ask my girl where's the nearest police station, she says I don't know. I see a cop, flag him down, cop pulls me over, with gun drawn. Tells me hands up, get down...

Unmarked car pulls up. Cop yells at me asking why I ran, I said, "Cuz mofo over there kept following us and scared the heck out of us." Cop says, "You realize he's a cop? Why didn't you drive to a police station?" I replied, "I asked my girl where it was but she just moved here and didn't know where it was." The policeman in the unmarked car comes over and says, "I was following you because there were recent home theft in the neighbor." I then shouted, "If there were, why didn't you identify yourself as one...instead chases us, scaring my girl and me, putting our lives at risk!!!"

Right then they knew they were in the wrong because there was a moment of silence...

Cop says, "You're lucky I'm not issuing a ticket, now get out of here." Wateva!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nemesis said:
My past experience?

Unmarked car follows me and my girlfriend (ex now). I speed, he speeds. I pull a U-turn, he does the same. I corner heavily, he does the same. I ask my girl where's the nearest police station, she says I don't know. I see a cop, flag him down, cop pulls me over, with gun drawn. Tells me hands up, get down...

Unmarked car pulls up. Cop yells at me asking why I ran, I said, "Cuz mofo over there kept following us and scared the heck out of us." Cop says, "You realize he's a cop? Why didn't you drive to a police station?" I replied, "I asked my girl where it was but she just moved here and didn't know where it was." The policeman in the unmarked car comes over and says, "I was following you because there were recent home theft in the neighbor." I then shouted, "If there were, why didn't you identify yourself as one...instead chases us, scaring my girl and me, putting our lives at risk!!!"

Right then they knew they were in the wrong because there was a moment of silence...

Cop says, "You're lucky I'm not issuing a ticket, now get out of here." Wateva!
that cop was following you due to home theft? that cop is either stereotyping riders or he's an idiot. You can't steal much on a bike. Do they realize how small of a "trunk" bikes have?

N

·
0 Posts
risky_analyst said:
that cop was following you due to home theft? that cop is either stereotyping riders or he's an idiot. You can't steal much on a bike. Do they realize how small of a "trunk" bikes have?
Sorry, forgot to mention I wasn't on a bike but in a car. Either way, it didn't matter cuz they were in the wrong.

·
Registered
760 Posts
risky_analyst said:
Hey guys,

Any cops on line? I have a question. My friend's friend's cousin said that he was speeding on a road so that he could merge into the freeway. This make belief person said that a white taurus that was unmarked started speeding up. As the motorcyclist noticed, he didn't know why this unmarked taurus was chasing him. So what the motorcylist sped up to get away for his own safety .. as he was approaching 80 mph in a 50, he slowed down as he knew that was way to fast. he then noticed that the taurus was right behind him. the motorcylist slowed down even more until the white taurus pulled beside him. He then noticed that the driver was on a CB radio. The motorcylist assumes that the taurus driver was a cop. Question: we all think that the taurus driver was radioing other cops to pull the biker over for speeding. Can the motorcylist get a ticket if a different cop runs his plates. The taurus driver's car was unmarked. The driver did not have a police uniform. No radar or video was noticable in the car. The driver never talked to the biker. Only chased him and noted the license plate. Does my friend's friends cousin have anything to worry about?
never assume anything. no lights, sirens i don't pull over. even with a unmarked with single lights, blue or red i'd find me a safe place before pulling over at night. if people motion me to pull over i get the H out of dodge. all this is reasonable and can be articulated in court especially at night. try and find a trooper hanging in the median or signs that point to a local PD. imo, i'd keep going until i found a cop!

a motorist can get a ticket based on an off duty cops account of what he saw. both will appear in court. as far as a ticket in the mail, only for red light camera or speed/ aggressive driving imaging areas.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
+1, My mom has actually had that happened to her, an unmarked car using colored bulbs in two flashlights trying to get her to pull over at night a couple of years ago.

cbrmarc said:
never assume anything. no lights, sirens i don't pull over. even with a unmarked with single lights, blue or red i'd find me a safe place before pulling over at night. if people motion me to pull over i get the H out of dodge. all this is reasonable and can be articulated in court especially at night. try and find a trooper hanging in the median or signs that point to a local PD. imo, i'd keep going until i found a cop!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well, a few words of wisdom from someone that does enforce the law.

[long answer]
First - as with everything, law vary by state, so check your state's laws before you take anything I say at face value.

Here in GA, only State Troopers can have unmarked cars, but they don't usually use them in enforcing speed. TN however, is a different story - their State Troopers have very few MARKED cars.

As far as for the hypothetical in question - if your speed was checked by one of these unmarked units, most states allow a citation to be issued on another officer's word, meaning if he said you were speeding and provided all the details, then yes, I could write you a ticket. Again there are going to be some flags that vary with each state - here in GA, the officer that issues the citation must be in a standard uniform, etc.

Now on to one of my personal favorites - NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, oh, did I say NEVER, ask to see the RADAR or LASER unit - almost no state has a law that I'm aware of that requires the officer to show the violater the actual unit. In GA, the only requirement is that we have to ask the driver if they want an accuracy check for any RADAR violation. Almost 98% of the time, if you ask/demand to see the RADAR you will end up with a ticket.

As for the calibration - it is correct that the accuracy must be checked at the beginning of each shift and the end and if it's not then the admissability of evidence obtained by using such device is basically no good.

[short answer]
So, basically - if you didn't get stopped right away and issued a ticket, I'm pretty sure that nothing will become of it - now running a video taped red light is another thing entirely ;P

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
there is a highway near me that is undergoing a LOT of construction. All the cops in the area deck out their personal rides with flashing lites and sirens so they can handle the construction details. I have seen them pull people over. . .how is this safe? They are driving sentras, taurus, explorer, even civics! I dont understand the logic. Heres my question tho. If i see the blues on a civilian car and I ride to the nearest station how much trouble will i get into?

and heres a story too. . .

Driving back roads for about an hour with 5 riders. during that hour we pass two vehicals. . .one in a passing zone (a van) another in a no passing zone (acura suv). We were speeding around corners but we wernt riding stupid. . .fronts stayed down and revs were low.

The next day I get a call from a sgt Toby. He informs me that the acura I passed was in fact the police chief for the city (go figure) and he recorded my plates (thats funny because I have been pulled over before and told my plates were unclear and unviewable). He mentioned nothing about the infractions that the other riders and myself made. Instead he lectured me on the dangers or riding and he told me to be as careful as possible while riding. Before we hung up he told me that was the only action that would be taken. . . *sigh*

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jbadd99 said:
Well, a few words of wisdom from someone that does enforce the law.

[long answer]
First - as with everything, law vary by state, so check your state's laws before you take anything I say at face value.

Here in GA, only State Troopers can have unmarked cars, but they don't usually use them in enforcing speed. TN however, is a different story - their State Troopers have very few MARKED cars.

As far as for the hypothetical in question - if your speed was checked by one of these unmarked units, most states allow a citation to be issued on another officer's word, meaning if he said you were speeding and provided all the details, then yes, I could write you a ticket. Again there are going to be some flags that vary with each state - here in GA, the officer that issues the citation must be in a standard uniform, etc.

Now on to one of my personal favorites - NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, oh, did I say NEVER, ask to see the RADAR or LASER unit - almost no state has a law that I'm aware of that requires the officer to show the violater the actual unit. In GA, the only requirement is that we have to ask the driver if they want an accuracy check for any RADAR violation. Almost 98% of the time, if you ask/demand to see the RADAR you will end up with a ticket.

As for the calibration - it is correct that the accuracy must be checked at the beginning of each shift and the end and if it's not then the admissability of evidence obtained by using such device is basically no good.

[short answer]
So, basically - if you didn't get stopped right away and issued a ticket, I'm pretty sure that nothing will become of it - now running a video taped red light is another thing entirely ;P
thanks JBad.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
No offense, but that seems like a badass officer. You and your friends did violate a traffic law and there are worse penalties than a lecture.

millcityrider said:
there is a highway near me that is undergoing a LOT of construction. All the cops in the area deck out their personal rides with flashing lites and sirens so they can handle the construction details. I have seen them pull people over. . .how is this safe? They are driving sentras, taurus, explorer, even civics! I dont understand the logic. Heres my question tho. If i see the blues on a civilian car and I ride to the nearest station how much trouble will i get into?

and heres a story too. . .

Driving back roads for about an hour with 5 riders. during that hour we pass two vehicals. . .one in a passing zone (a van) another in a no passing zone (acura suv). We were speeding around corners but we wernt riding stupid. . .fronts stayed down and revs were low.

The next day I get a call from a sgt Toby. He informs me that the acura I passed was in fact the police chief for the city (go figure) and he recorded my plates (thats funny because I have been pulled over before and told my plates were unclear and unviewable). He mentioned nothing about the infractions that the other riders and myself made. Instead he lectured me on the dangers or riding and he told me to be as careful as possible while riding. Before we hung up he told me that was the only action that would be taken. . . *sigh*

1 - 20 of 46 Posts