Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the time finally came...

Here's the short background story that I have not revealed entirely before:
I sold my 06 RR at the end of 2012, and have only been riding a friend's bike on and off after that (a 07Suzuki GSXR600). Was planning to take a break from riding anyway and put other things first, while saving some money.

Last week I found a used bike that was in my price range. Checked it out and everything looks good, clean title, and mileage was ok. Seller/owner was a cool guy and said he didn't really ride the bike that much anymore so he wanted to sell it.

So last weekend, I bought it :banger:

Here it is, a 2004 Silver Yamaha R1

(this is a photo from Google since I haven't taken pics yet, but it looks exactly like this).

Some thoughts:

-The bike feels amazing, and the power is something to really be careful with. I have not even passed 10k RPM's yet on the street, but I have taken it up to 120mph on the highway with no issues.

-You can definitely feel the weight of the bike though, and you know you are riding a bigger and heavier bike compared to a 600. Turning and breaking is good, not as flickable as a 600 but still nimble enough for normal riding. I would probably not track this bike for now until I feel very comfortable taking it close to my limits.

- The seats are quite uncomfortable; I thought the 06RR's seats were a plank, but the R1's seat is about the same although it has more padding. Maybe its just the seating position, I dunno. But an in-town ride that took 40mins each way was uncomfortable when I reached my destination.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the bike. Its not new, but I got a great deal on it (under $5k) and it has about 23k miles. I have ridden other bigger bikes--a 06GSXR-1000, a 08 CBR1000RR, a couple of 750's, and a 06 Hayabusa-- so I'm not new to more powerful bikes.
Keep in mind I've been riding for about 8yrs now, and it took me this long to upgrade to a liter bike. A new rider would probably crash a 1k.

Everytime I ride it, I feel like this

but no, I don't do wheelies because I've known people to loop and wreck their bikes.

·
I'm a pretty lady!!!
5,859 Posts
Congrats on the upgrade!! :D

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll still be around .net and participate. I think this is one of the best bike forums out there.

I might have to check out R1 forums just to see whats on there.

·
Maynard
7,033 Posts
Saweeet mang and congrats. That silver is pretty nice. I've never rode a 1000 but I'm actually surprised you can feel the weight difference... didn't think it'd be that apparent.

·
Black & Blue
161 Posts
Nice bike. Now you can do 100 mph in first gear!

·
BOTM Winner 10/14
131 Posts
Pretty awesome thing!!
Love R1's, I own a 98 R1 for track use, loads of power! but a bit to agressive when closing throttle

·
Registered
57 Posts
not trying to rain on your parade but i had an 04 r1 before this cbr. although its a fast and fun bike it was the most unreliable bike i ever owned. something always needed fixing, the stators like to blow up randomly and the rod/crank bearings wear out quickly even under normal use. i had to get rid of it after rebuilding the engine i had enough. hopefully yours holds up better but they were plagued with issues for some reason. then the 07/08 had random valve guides that would break apart causing all sorts of issues. i wish yamaha could build a reliable and fast bike. not just one or the other.lol.. the water pump is also in the oil pan so check your oil often, if you ever see signs of coolant mixing in one of the o rings from the connectin tubes may have leaked into the pan.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I had a ’04 R1 that was highly modded as well. (Used race bike – bought for dirt cheap with 11k miles on it).
Get it higher up in the rev range and this thing really ripped.

Saweeet mang and congrats. That silver is pretty nice. I've never rode a 1000 but I'm actually surprised you can feel the weight difference... didn't think it'd be that apparent.
It’s not the weight difference that you feel but rather the extra rotating mass of the bigger engine.
The weight differences between 600s and 1000s are 20-30lbs. Not much.
But the larger rotating mass makes the bike feel significantly less agile.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Congrats on venturing out! Feels good sometimes :)

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice bike. Now you can do 100 mph in first gear!
Thanks. I believe 1st actually gets to about 97mph from what I've read. I tried it on the highway last week and did see only 97 before I shifted to second.

not trying to rain on your parade but i had an 04 r1 before this cbr. although its a fast and fun bike it was the most unreliable bike i ever owned. something always needed fixing, the stators like to blow up randomly and the rod/crank bearings wear out quickly even under normal use. i had to get rid of it after rebuilding the engine i had enough. hopefully yours holds up better but they were plagued with issues for some reason. then the 07/08 had random valve guides that would break apart causing all sorts of issues. i wish yamaha could build a reliable and fast bike. not just one or the other.lol.. the water pump is also in the oil pan so check your oil often, if you ever see signs of coolant mixing in one of the o rings from the connectin tubes may have leaked into the pan.
Thanks for the warning. So far mine has ran fine. The seller kept it mostly stock except for cosmetic mods (HID headlights, FE/flush mounts) which is a good thing. There are a couple of small cracks on the side of the front fairing but with its age its acceptable.

Just curious if your previous R1 had mods and how it was ridden, and if it was in any accidents?

Any bike can have issues even CBR's. My previous roomate also had an 06RR and it had tons of issues since he crashed it like 3times. Usually proper maintenance and not being in an accident is a huge factor with having a reliable bike (in my experience anyway).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts