Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm upshifting, sometimes I find that I don't close the throttle all the way when I pull the clutch in to grab a higher gear. I find that this makes the transition a bit smoother, as opposed to closing the throttle/grab the clutch, upshift, let the clutch out while rolling on the gas.

Does anyone else do this? Is there a better way to upshift that the trackjunkies can let a brutha in on?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yes I do the same thing. By keeping the throttle open it allow the rpms to not fully drop making the gear transition smoother.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Butters said:
When I'm upshifting, sometimes I find that I don't close the throttle all the way when I pull the clutch in to grab a higher gear. I find that this makes the transition a bit smoother, as opposed to closing the throttle/grab the clutch, upshift, let the clutch out while rolling on the gas.

Does anyone else do this? Is there a better way to upshift that the trackjunkies can let a brutha in on?
Congratulations Butters! You just discovered a secret. You can use clutchless like the guys are telling you but you really need to be pretty hard on the gas. Otherwise it's not as smooth. Just put a little pressure on the shifter and slightly cut the throttle as you normally would. It will fall right into gear extremely quick.

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
Butters said:

yes, i do. its very nice...find that sweet spot and itll feel like you aint
shifting at all, jus accelerating....oh so smoooth.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I only recomend clutchless upshifts for fast acceleration, like stated above its not as smooth with a small amount of throttle.

just put your foot below(or above with gp style) the shifter and apply the neccesary pressure to shift, then blip the throttle off and back on. voala!! upshift!!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
if you do use the cutch just shift with your index and middle finger and leave your pinky and ring finger on the handgrip. Lets you hit that sweet spot everytime by not letting the shifter go all the way to the handgrips. Feels wierd and first but you get used to it really quickly.

·
Registered
443 Posts
risky_analyst said:
i've heard of clutchless shifting, but isn't this really bad for the tranny?? i don't mean to steal the thread..
Clutchless upshifts, done properly causes no damage to the tranny, & obviously no wear whatsoever to the clutch.

If done correctly it will snick so freakin' smoothly into next gear, it will surprise you.

Clutchless downshift however causes a lot of damage to the tranny and it should never ever be done.

To do a perfect clutchless upshift...

1. When you are ready to shift, load the shift lever by exerting slight pressure upward on the shift lever with your toe.

2. Release the throttle just a tiny smidgen.

3. The shifter should snick right into next gear.

4. Immediately return the throttle to original position.

With a little practice, you will know just how much loading you need to exert on the shift lever(just a slight pressure), as well as how much throttle to release(just a smidgen). Once you master it, it will snick snick super smoothly into next gear!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts