Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new-to-me '05 RR. I bought it with 418 miles on it. It now has 590 miles on it. 600 mile service soon to be done.

However, the bike suddenly has trouble shifting up from 2nd to 3rd, and from 3rd to 4th.

The shift lever is solid, like when you try to upshift into 7th gear on the freeway.

I brush/squeeze the clutch lever a teeny bit, and unload the throttle a tiny bit when I shift. Even when I squeeze the clutch all the way in, the shifter lever still feels solid.

I really have to dig my foot way under the shifter and really yank on it to get the lever to move.

Any ideas what's wrong? Should I bitch at them when I get the 600 mile service done?

·
Registered
893 Posts
mine was harder to shift when it was new, mine shifts great now with almost 13000 on it. seems like it got easier to shift around a thousand miles if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
893 Posts
and the 7th gear attempt is exactly how i would've explained my feeling, too. others have experienced the same. (i tried searching but couldn't come up with anything, but it has been discussed)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Are you releasing pressure on the shift lever before atempting to gear it up again?? IE: not trying to shift through 2 gears with one push??

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gearheadRR said:
Are you releasing pressure on the shift lever before atempting to gear it up again?? IE: not trying to shift through 2 gears with one push??

Yeah, I never upshift more than one gear at a time....I'll downshift several gears though.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
It sounds like you're not releasing pressure off the shifter before trying to upshift again. As you already know, a better oil will help shifting also.

·
Ninja Master
2,459 Posts
i'm sure the dude knows how to shift.

your linkage probably needs adjustment and/or lubrication. definitely get it checked out at the service.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Simonster said:
i'm sure the dude knows how to shift.

your linkage probably needs adjustment and/or lubrication. definitely get it checked out at the service.
Yeah, I was thinking along the lines of a different bike, shifter, and oil. Not him being a retard.

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll try adjusting/lubricating the linkage and changing out the oil at the 600 mile service.

It's definitely not user error though. I can "clutch, throttle, shift" over and over, and the lever won't move. I have to consciously dig my foot way under the lever and PULL up on the lever to get it shift. It's definitely not clutch plates failing to resettle between shifts because of not letting go of the clutch. And it only happens between 2/3rd and 3rd/4th. There's no grinding noises, or anything funny. It's just feels like when you try to shift up into the 7th gear that isn't there...

·
Ninja Master
2,459 Posts
that's why it's probably the shift linkage. basically, if it's out of alignment, it's trying to shift where there ain't no gear. happens more often w/ cages, because there's more slop, but the opposite is also true: bikes have less slop, but need higher degrees of precision in the linkage because the shift tolerances are greater.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I had something similar happen to me when I got some locktite on the linkage bearing with my 1KRR. If the linkage bearings (or the shif-lever itself) are stiff and not allowing the lever to "fall" all the way back down, then you can't "reset" the ratcheting action.

One way to test for this would be to ride the bike and push the lever DOWN before shifting. If you feel the lever going down or if after pressing down on the lever it clicks into gear with no problems then I'd say that was the problem.

On my 1KRR it was so subtle I had to manupulate the gearshift lever with my hand to notice that the movement was stiffer than normal.

·
Ninja Master
2,459 Posts
LtcOliverNorth said:
On my 1KRR it was so subtle I had to manupulate the gearshift lever with my hand to notice that the movement was stiffer than normal.
bwahahahahahahahahaa!

perhaps if you got a bigger gearshift lever...

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
lol! Well, usually it does what it's supposed to on it's own so I don't have to use my hands at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts