Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fitted a new tire to my front wheel after a crash. After the new tyre installation, I noticed there is chatter, vibration that I am not used to. I was told that the rim will need a slight realigning as it is probably dented. The chatter is noticeable over 40KPH. Do you think running a 100Km errand can damage the tyre or rim if ridden at 90KPH tops??

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
I would not worry about damaging the wheel as its probably already bent you will ot hurt the tire either i would be more worried about getting into a severe shake ( tank slapper ) and crashing God forbid If you got no choice but to ride take it easy with the speed and you will be alright

Reactions: ninja rr

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Are you sure that you mounted the tires in the correct direction? The front end chatter could be b/c of the rim being bent. But also an unbalanced tire could cause it as well.... Did you get the forks checked out?

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, the tire was mounted on correctly, and the forks are alright. I am looking to repair the rim as I don't have enough for a new rim. So I was just worried about exacerbating the damage or ruining the tire.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
gotcha.... good luck just take it a little slower. And be extra cautious as the handling and stability may also be compromised.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
are you sure the rim is bent? is it visibly bent?

get the rim checked for run-out and see if it is in spec.

I have a feeling the issue is just a tire that is out of balance.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I am back in one piece and no crashes thank God. Yup I am sure the rim is bent; when you spin the wheel, you can tell that the rim is imperfectly circular. I already have a brand new BT-016 Hypersport mounted on it, so my guess is they will have to remove the tyre straighten the rim and then remount it. The imperfection might be visible but it doesnt seem severe at all. Also the chatter is actually reduced when I go over 100KMH.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Also the chatter is actually reduced when I go over 100KMH.
wait. so you were worried about riding it cause of chatter at 40kmh...but decided to take it up over 100kmh?!?
makes sense :roll:

Reactions: brmoore

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
wait. so you were worried about riding it cause of chatter at 40kmh...but decided to take it up over 100kmh?!?
makes sense :roll:
Yeah I know, not enough restraint on my part. I have to add that I have been itching to ride since my accident; I havent ridden in over 2 weeks which for a daily rider is torment. I gradually coasted over the chatter range to notice that it was decreasing the faster I went, but considering I ride at 160Km/h on the freeway I decided to only go up to 110Km/h and stay there.

@Shoichiro_Honda: Believe me, I thought of using that tactic, but was concerned about bringing the wheel down, which could cause just as much tankslappers if not more. :S

@metalgearmurder: and the Darwin award is.........?

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
im a daily rider know how you feel...but when you die 2 weeks is a small time to the eternity of your death in which you will never ride an RR again:crackup:

take it slow..order a new wheel maybe? and then try get a car to lift down your wheel and get the tyre off, on to new rim, balanced and put on all same day by honda :shakehand

as a daily rider i use honda to do things quick for me so i ride in and ride out all done...where as if i do stuff i havent done much of takes me 24hrs and i do it on weekends

also very important;

ALWAYS check fork/handlebar alignment after any crash/driveway drop...literally anything even a car backing up just nudging it...if they're moved the tension can be held in there and not allow full movement of the forks and cause wear you don't want
All very useful advice, thanks. I just dropped the bike yesterday at Honda and they'll be getting back to me about the rim repair. I already told them that I had an accident but will definitely tell them to check the forks (even though they should do so by themselves and report any damage since my complaint was about chatter/shakinghandlebars), but it's too important to not double check.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts