i had some negative feedbacks about commuting to D.C. on RR, but

i couldn't resist the temptation today.

Let me just say it was pretty fun riding bike to work. However,

those endless traffic lights were really annoying. there was one

every other block, if not every block. my wrist was sore after

arriving at work.

And.... my bike got so hot (only 220's though), when i turned it off

and tried turning it on, it died on me.

would it be back up, after i let it cool down?

whew.. i can't even imagine how it'd be like when i get off from

work to go home.

oh and i need one advice from you all. how do you guys ride when

the traffic is moving very slowly? i just ride in 1st gear with

some clutch control, which i am not so expert at yet.

any advice? other than don't take it to work.

ps: i admit i was kinda afraid to split lanes even tho i had some chances.. :oops:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i take route 29 (from MD), then i hit 16th street, and so on and on to get to Massachusetts avenue. you got any alternative route? i heard something about rockcreek... not sure how to take it to get to mass ave.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to forum. Does anyone know where to get a really good custom paint job for a bike in the Raleigh NC area? How much does a good custom paint job cost? Please post your custom photo's, thx!!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I leave some breathing room to the car in front of me and I roll in first gear with the clutch fully engaged. That way if he slows down I can leave the clutch in as long as possible and stay rolling (not have to put a foot down and not have to wear the clutch).

Also I like to stay to the left or the right of the lane so I can get a good view of the traffic situation ahead. If there's a stalled car or a wreck you can know as early as possible which lane to avoid.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
When an over zelous cager that does not expect you to come by knocks you down, you get what is coming to you.

It is illegal, and rush hour traffic has everyone's tempers at an all time high. A driver can hit you on purpose and say he didn't see you. You are at total fault for all damage and injury through the eyes of insurance.

Ride safe and legal! If you cannot control the urge, then leave the bike at home.

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
Is this the first time you've ever gotten your bike up to 220 degrees? I think you need to ride more...and don't put so much weight on your wrists when you ride, use your back and abs to hold you up.

·
Registered
496 Posts
How warm is it there. We got up to 50 here and lots of rain . I wish I could of rode to work .It still looks good sitting in the garage:)

·
Registered
346 Posts
below 50 in MN right now *sigh*

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought lane splitting was illegal in VA?
i commute to DC. i don't know if split lane is illegal in DC.. hmm..

Is this the first time you've ever gotten your bike up to 220 degrees? I think you need to ride more...and don't put so much weight on your wrists when you ride, use your back and abs to hold you up.

well, yeah i never get to ride enough. my bike got upto 229 on the way back home. because i work near Cheney's residence, the traffic was bad as helll. the bike was so heated up, i kept thinking about pulling it to the side and let it cool down(but i didn't). 2-3 weeks ago, my bike died on me in the middle of the road, and ever since that i'm over concerned about my bike dying on me in the middle of traffic.

i do use my back and abs, and even knees, but during traffic hours it didn't help much.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But overall, it was a great experience. It feels like i have much better control over clutch/throttle than before! Moving ever so slowly in the crazy traffic was quite a challenge, but I've learned so much. and most of all, i made it out safely.

i probably won't do it often, but i'd definately do it again.

i have one more question though. While moving very slowly with the traffic, many times i didn't put my feet up. instead i let 'em kinda hang right above the ground because of the frequent stopping. Even though i tried my best to avoid my feet touching the ground, occationally i did what MSF calls it a "power walk" (semi-intentional). is it bad to do that? should i always have my feet up even at slow speed and traffic hours? i was curious about that because it kind of felt like a bad habit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts