Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm finally getting around to flushing my bikes cooling system this friday and I've been hearing that using a mixture of distilled water and white vinegar to flush is good for some reason. Is this true? Will it do more harm than good. I haven't heard any definitive answers so that's what i'm basically looking for. Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
882 Posts
dont know anything about this, and i definitely have not heard of this...
but i know one thing for sure...vinegar is acid. just imagine what acid can do to your cooling system. personally, i wouldnt try it. but that's just me

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
it will be fine,
read some of the old car forums. its a pretty common practice. for example on my 72 vette every couple of years i drain the coolant and refill it with distilled water. then pour in a few ounces (read just a little bit) of white vinegar and run it for a while.
then flush until the liquid comes out clear.
then refill with coolant.

that prestone brand coolant flush stuff you get at autozone is oxyacilic(sp) acid
whats the difference

·
Registered
266 Posts
Probably based on the same idea behind running vinegar and water through a coffee machine to clean it - the vinegar is supposed to break down any scale (hard water mineral deposits) that form, as well as oil that might have gotten into the coolant system.

After running the vinegar, I wonder if it might be good to do another rinse or two of distilled water alone, to get rid of any vinegar left over.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably based on the same idea behind running vinegar and water through a coffee machine to clean it - the vinegar is supposed to break down any scale (hard water mineral deposits) that form, as well as oil that might have gotten into the coolant system.

After running the vinegar, I wonder if it might be good to do another rinse or two of distilled water alone, to get rid of any vinegar left over.
That's exactly what my plan is. Flush once with water/vinegar mix, then a bunch more times with distilled water alone. Then fill with 50/50 dexcool. So far, I'm leaning towards not using the vinegar. But if anyone has actually done it without harmful side effects i'll change my mind.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks rshack, i guess i'll give it a go. BTW is that a king of the hill inspired name?

·
Registered
134 Posts
epyon, let me know how that goes. I might give it a shot.

·
Registered
149 Posts
That's exactly what my plan is. Flush once with water/vinegar mix, then a bunch more times with distilled water alone. Then fill with 50/50 dexcool. So far, I'm leaning towards not using the vinegar. But if anyone has actually done it without harmful side effects i'll change my mind.
alot of people i know use it, i didnt personally but would based on their recommendation and no one has had any issues with it that i know. should be fine

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, just letting everyone know that I flushed my cooling system without the vinegar. I puss'd out at the last minute and just thouroughly flushed with distilled water. And the toughest part of the whole process was getting the right ram air duct cover off so if you're hesitating to do this yourself, don't and just take your time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts