Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been awhile since I've been on the good old 600rr.net but I find myself coming back to a Honda (again). I've been swerving a hand me down Suzuki Blvd. for the past couple of years and find myself looking for another streetbike.

I turned to trusty crapslist and am shocked of the prices of used motorcycles. I'm not one to shy away from a quality bike of a later year that has been well maintained and adorned with decent upgrades but I'm blown away by how much a bike that's over 10 years old and beat to hell is selling for. It's forced me to look into buying new as the value seems right (but pushes me into fz-09 territory).

Besides my rant, is anyone else thinking this or am I the only one?

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Same here in Australia. Even '03 models with 40000km on them go for $5-6k. Crazy.

However a mate is selling a 2013 model with 3000km for 9k. So tempting if I had the coin.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Sale prices are more the result of the threshold of the market, rather than a reflection of any real value. Or, value is assigned by people rather than something that's inherent.

I bought a couple bikes in Florida for much less money before the financial collapse of 2008; when credit dried up, so did the constant supply of next to new bikes for sale, bolstering the value of older bikes as people kept them longer (and also slowed the change of bikes in general, meaning there was no 'next new thing' in bikes every two years like there was for a bit.)

Anything sold is worth exactly as much as someone else is willing to pay for it.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I gave up looking for a decently priced CBR for track duty that was not totally trashed. The competition's bikes on the used market are much better priced. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I really like my 600RR, but I can't think of a good reason to not get an R6 or ZX6 for the track at this point.
I picked up an R6 for track duties. Best of both worlds is to keep the Honda which is way more street friendly and have the R6 for track weaponry. Just can't wait to get it (R6) out there and test it out.

·
Registered
803 Posts
OP:

Spring has approached and riding season has approached. Bikes are going to have higher demand at this time. From what I hear, winter or the down season is the time to buy if you're really insisting on a good deal. It doesn't help that you're in Florida where I assume that the weather is pretty nice.

On the other hand, if you see a used CBR that you really like, feel free to offer your price which you're committed to paying up. Maybe there are some sellers who are anxious to sell, you never know until you make an offer and get denied or accepted.

Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree, bike season is probably at its peak in the Spring. I bout my 03 with 20k km for $3k last Fall because the owner didn't want to deal with storing it. I could probably flip it and make $1-2k profit if I was to sell it now.

·
Registered
903 Posts
On the other hand as one who's 600rr is currently up for sale I'm finding a lot of people who are making borderline insulting offers. I've a 2012 w/ 9.5k miles that's in really nice shape. I priced it at $6500 based on what other 600rr's are listed at in relative condition & mileage. I'm getting a lot of people saying they'll throw $5k cash at me as if I'm desperate. One guy yesterday opened with a $4.5k offer. WTF? Like I'm going to drop a 1/3 of the price? Kind of insulting. Nobody's getting my bike making those kind of offers. I priced my bike at what seems like a reasonable value & would maybe drop the price $500 if the buyer was cool about it. I'm also throwing in front & rear pitbull stands, cover, battery tender, maintenance supplies, both the factory & haynes shop manuals. Hell if the buyer is pleasant enough & the right size I might gift him some of my Alpinestars gear & a newish Shark helmet. Everyone wants a good deal. It's important though to be a good customer as it is to be a good seller.

Spring probably is better for sellers than buyers in 4 season climates. It's when many people start looking for a bike as they anticipate good weather. It's probably the flip side of ski & snowboard sales. Nobody's looking for new skis in April so there are probably good deals to be had. Try shopping for skis in October though & no one's likely to be bending over backwards to sell at rock bottom prices.

I think as a buyer though it's still a great market. As someone above mentioned that sine the recession & softening of the motorcycle industry most manufacturers have not been updating their bikes as regularly or extensively. That means you can go out & find a 6-8 year old low mileage bike that maybe someone barely used or used gently and have a bike that's everything a brand new one is but for 60% less than showroom new.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
106 Posts
Reliability of modern bikes might be a factor too, especially Jap bikes. As technology improves people buy used more confidently.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought a couple bikes in Florida for much less money before the financial collapse of 2008;
Man I was buying so many toys when that happened, boats, bikes, outdoor gear, and made some good money. Part of my hesitation may be that I'm having hard time adjusting with the market from then.

On the other hand as one who's 600rr is currently up for sale I'm finding a lot of people who are making borderline insulting offers......
That seems like a solid deal, better than what I've come across yet. I imagine someone looking for that particular year and setup will gladly pay that amount.

Where I live we don't really have a riding season so prices/inventory are usually stable. I looked at an '05 with 22K miles yesterday that was being offered for $3k. The bike was trashed and I honestly thought maybe it had been pieced together from stolen parts. No exhaust, sheet metal screws for fairing bolts, every engine cover was deeply scratched, bent reasets, every plastic was cracked and some weren't there at all, and the list goes on.

The owner rode up on it when we met and had it sitting all of a minute before I asked to hear it run and the damn thing wouldn't start again. He had me pushing him down the street trying to get it to crank over and after the third attempt I was done. I asked him what his bottom dollar was and he said $2,700! Cosmetically alone it had $1k worth of work needing to be done.

The way it's going I'm seriously considering an FZ-09 I just need to find one to ride.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Granted it was over the winter, but I found my '04 on Craigslist after many months of searching. It only had 2 owners, 15K miles, the owner had recently serviced or replaced everything, it showed no signs of wear... and I only paid $3,500.

The deals are out there, don't let it discourage you. Hold out for exactly what you want!

·
Registered
903 Posts
From private individuals the best deals are in winter when the seller doesn't want to store the bike or they're already thinking of buying something else for next season. Same goes for dealer sales but surprisingly in the dead middle or late summer is a surprisingly good time to buy from a dealer. By that time the spring and early summer rush of people wanting to get out on a bike have made their purchases already and the dealer is getting more action from their service and accessories department and the showroom is mostly a lounge. The fact that new models are usually announced in early winter and deliver in the spring probably helps with the spring frenzy of sales and mid summer lull.

·
BOTY Winner 2015 - BOTM Winner 04/2015
7,281 Posts
i put a huge amount of time, effort and money into my bike, not even sure what i would consider selling mine for but it wouldn't be cheap - i rather keep it then let it go for nothing like some of the law ball offers i hear about (of course, if you don't have to sell it, easier to sit on it and wait and keep enjoying it :thumbup:)

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
People ask all the time how much I would be willing to sell mine for. Honestly, I would probably list it for $8K and not take a dime less than $7500. That's about a grand more than it would probably sell for in my area.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
966 Posts
Bikes sell in much less numbers then they did back in 07 time range. As the supply gets lower from crashes and what not, prices get higher.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
I picked up an R6 for track duties. Best of both worlds is to keep the Honda which is way more street friendly and have the R6 for track weaponry. Just can't wait to get it (R6) out there and test it out.
R6 makes a decent street bike as well as an excellent track bike.

I rode a friend's 08R6 for a few days and didn't find anything wrong with it for street use. The RR is a bit better for street riding for sure, but not by much.

It seems most used bikes normally bottom out around $4k even if they are 10yrs old. Its just the season/time, and the nature of the sportbike market. If you can find a good used 2005-2007 sportbike in that price range($4-5k), its a decent buy

·
Registered
966 Posts
I shouold have read the whole thread before my last post :retard:
I priced it at $6500 based on what other 600rr's are listed at in relative condition & mileage. http://www.motorcycle.com/mobile
So you priced based on what others are asking. Price is dictated by what things sell for, not what people start asking for.
I really like my 600RR, but I can't think of a good reason to not get an R6 or ZX6 for the track at this point.
Reliability. Rebuilding the R6 motor requires new titanium valves to be done right. That's $1k right there in parts. The kawi's are....well kawi's. No need to discuss their lack of reliability.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts