Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason, this question turned into a pretty heated argument over on another site I belong to. I was always told by everyone who rode to not use the killswitch to turn the bike off under normal conditions. Always use the key to shut the engine off. But a few others said they were told at the MSF class to use the killswitch. What do you all do? Personally, I have never used my cutoff switch and hopefully will never need to.

Here's a link to the thread if anyone is interested.

http://www.sportbikez.net/phorum/read.php?2,169005

· Registered
4,498 Posts
At the advanced MSF I was told that as well. However, I've been riding for years and always used the key. I can see the point in using the kill switch but don't think it's a big enough concern that if you're use to using the key to force a habit change.

· Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well someone brought up the fact that overusing the killswitch can cause damage to the wiring harness or something. I dunno, but I haven't really met anyone that uses the switch so I was just curious.

· Registered
284 Posts
Comb said:
I always use the kill switch... just because it's an easy flick of the thumb to turn off the bike... then I grab the key as I get off the bike. I doubt it makes any difference though.
I have done the same thing since I started riding. I really don't think it matters one way or the other.

· Mad Chemist
5,866 Posts
Comb said:
I always use the kill switch... just because it's an easy flick of the thumb to turn off the bike... then I grab the key as I get off the bike. I doubt it makes any difference though.
+1

I sometimes just drop the kickstand while in first to kill it as well. But most of the time I do the above.

· Registered
1,470 Posts
_Jay_ said:
Well someone brought up the fact that overusing the killswitch can cause damage to the wiring harness or something. I dunno, but I haven't really met anyone that uses the switch so I was just curious.
I just use the key, thats what its there for. The point the above person was probably making was this: if it does wear a little and the connection "somehow" gets bad, what happens in a situation when you really need the kill switch? Who knows, I just use my key.

· Registered
446 Posts
My MSF teacher told us the reason she had us using the kill switch was to train us to know where it is. That way in an emergency it'd be instinct to hit it.
I don't use the kill switch much. Sometimes if i'm parking on steep inclines i'll kill switch it and then let the clutch out so i'm free to keep both feet on the ground, but that's about it. Normally i just turn the key.

· Registered
439 Posts
We need a poll!!! I used to use the kill switch, but I too read somewhere that it's bad to abruptly cut the engine out using the kill switch. So then I started turning my key. Of course this is all based on opinion on another site.

I'd like some real answers.

G

·
Ick said:
We need a poll!!!
No we don't. it's a really stupid debate. it doesn't matter what you do to shut the fuqing motor off, just so it shuts down.

Kick stand in gear
Kill switch
Key off
Clutch kill
kicking it over

doesn't matter.

· Registered
237 Posts
_Jay_ said:
Well someone brought up the fact that overusing the killswitch can cause damage to the wiring harness or something.
That is the most retarded thing I have ever heard in my entire life. Having been in the electronics industry for the past 8 years or so, i have worked on some OLD systems, like 50's stuff. It gets used constantly and I have yet to see a wire harness wear out from use. Seen them get damaged, but never just "wear out". I have seen switches go bad, but that's not very common, so to have a switch wear out in the lifetime of a motorcycle from normal use is rediculous.

· Registered
525 Posts
somebody told me when i started riding that it may cause the fuel to puddle i dont know if there is any truth to it and i maybe this post is just cause im really bored and now that i think about it i think it had to do with nos..........damn short term memory loss

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.